Who thinks the Pope should be Jailed?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
CaNNon_

Re: Who thinks the Pope should be Jailed?

Post by CaNNon_ »

Highway of Life wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:A great deal of evidence seems to show that this man assisted in covering up the systematic abuse of children across vast areas. If that doesn't fall under your definition of "wrong", then your definition of "wrong" could use some work.
Indeed. I would hope everybody here can clearly see that both the crimes committed by these gay pedophile priests and the clergy that covered them up (and it appears the coverup may go as high as the pope) are all wrong. The Catholic Church let these creeps into the seminaries and It’s all coming back to bite them now.
Exactly!
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Thats it . The bible books / chapters were very selectively translated and only the books that the catholic church agreed with were included . There are other texts from the same area and the same time about the same subjects that say diferent things than are in the bible .

The translation of some words is hotly disputed by non catholic conform language experts . Whitch , virgin and prostitute are good examples and if the original words were translated and put in the bible today the whole meaning of it would be different .

And havent we all seen how history lies = whats considered true is often dictated or at least controled by the people in power in their own interests . ( The russians said that when stalin was lieing in an open cofin 7 million people came and payed their respect . When some one did the maths it turned out that they must have done it in colunms twenty people wide at about 20 miles an hour...... ).....that one was for you marshal..............LOL
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Highway of Life wrote:I am never afraid of a debate, but I have no interest in debatting with self-proclaimed druggies. There is nothing to be gained by such debates.

Also, you’re the one claiming history to be wrong. I just corrected you on the facts.
You know the ad-hominem "attack the messenger, not the message" technique is extremely fallacious, right?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

jbones wrote:All I know is you can't argue faith; and, science from a hundred years ago is different than science of today. Theories are often times debunked as we learn more with the passing of time.
That's like saying that automobiles were "debunked" because they're vastly different than they were a hundred years ago, and they've been vastly improved. Yes, scientific theories have changed a lot since a hundred years ago, but they were not "debunked" so much as improved upon. For example, while Newtonian physics is now known to be inferior to Newtonian relativistic physics, it is still used in 99% of engineering calculations because it's just as accurate in all but the most exotic conditions.
Also, news papers play into agendas now a days and politics often times guides them. Politics are too often corrupt and bias. Also, men prefer to believe the worst about each other; so, it is no surprise to me so many are screaming for someone's head, regardless of who's it is, as long as it isn't theirs. Religion - politics, pretty-much the same now a days, from what we hear in the news. :?
That's why math and science are so special. A scientist from China and a scientist from the US can converse and basically agree on 99% of things. Unlike most fields of intellectual endeavour, science and math are relatively unaffected by politics and culture. The problem is that when science does intrude onto politics and culture (see global warming or evolution), people fight back against it using the language of politics, not science. That's why you see idiotic terms like "ClimateGate", as if science revolves around "scandals" the way politics does.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

nuckfan15 wrote:
izmaellz wrote:I do. Nobody should be above the Law! Especially the Pope, being such an important figure in the Catholic Church which proclaims to do good and not to commit sins. Hypocrites!
I know this is slightly different, but you try being perfect and let me know how that works out for you. ;)
There's a pretty wide gap between "perfect" and "helping cover up and protect pedophiles", and most of us fit somewhere in that gap, rather than sitting at either end. The problem is that the Catholic Church sits at the other end: they covered up and protected pedophiles, for decades.
The entire Christian faith is based upon a forgiveness that nobody deserves, nor could ever warrant. Just because somebody is a Christian, doesn't mean they won't sin. In fact, I can say with utmost certainty, they WILL sin.
Of course, but not all sins are created equal. I know that part of your faith says that they are all equal, but nobody actually believes that. No one seriously believes that a guy whose gaze lingers on his neighbour's wife is as bad as a serial killer.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Highway of Life wrote:Nice attempts at insults, but you have failed.
Considering you're saying this to someone whose arguments you dismissed unanswered by calling him a "druggie", this is a pretty ironic thing to say.
As for who died in the Holocaust, it’s fairly obvious you do not know. I was giving the following facts: 3 Million Catholics died, and 6 Million Jews died. So that blows holes in your theory about a Church coverup, I needn’t say more.
Except that most of the Catholics killed in the Holocaust were Poles, and they were not killed for being Catholic, unlike the Jews who were killed for being Jews. Hitler called himself Catholic, and even received birthday greetings on his birthday from RC officials (not to mention the fact that the Catholic Church never excommunicated Hitler).
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Argh. Obviously, the line "while Newtonian physics is now known to be inferior to Newtonian relativistic physics" was obviously meant to be "while Newtonian physics is now known to be inferior to Einsteinian relativistic physics" in my earlier post. Brain fart.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

"I am never afraid of a debate, but I have no interest in debatting with self-proclaimed druggies."

Um..... errrrr....... did i say that i take drugs ? I dont take "illegal" or legal drugs .

I think its important to make a diference between the heirarchy of the catholic and christian churches and their members . I dont think that their members if fully informed ..... and educated ...... would choose to be as bigoted , dishonest and greedy as they are . I think most people just want to either give the responsibility for their lives and the planet to a nice old guy in a white bed sheet or just say thank you for their lives .

Defineing god like that just brings us all down to the dawkins and pope level .

What about saying that life and the universe are a mystery that we are constantly trying to whittle down and solve and call that mystery god ?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

oleg-karow wrote:Defineing god like that just brings us all down to the dawkins and pope level .
Do you have some particular reason to believe that Richard Dawkins and the Pope are equivalent in any way?
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Not equivalent but they seem to me to be more argueing about definitions = their own personal definition of what a god might be like . The one for the old guy in the bed sheet and the other against him . Guten nacht .
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Uh no, that is not at all what Richard Dawkins is talking about. He has no interest in saying "what a god might be like"; he is pointing out that the whole notion of god(s) is illogical and unnecessary. He's an atheist.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

oleg-karow wrote:Um..... errrrr....... did i say that i take drugs ? I dont take "illegal" or legal drugs .
I was referring to your site. - Which you were trying to get me to join and debate on. There are self proclaimed druggies on there.

Seems strange to me that someone who does not take drugs (legal or illegal) would open a site that actively promotes them. The logic just does not add up to me.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Highway of Life wrote:
oleg-karow wrote:Um..... errrrr....... did i say that i take drugs ? I dont take "illegal" or legal drugs .
I was referring to your site. - Which you were trying to get me to join and debate on. There are self proclaimed druggies on there.
Uh oh ... his website has people who admit to smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, or relying on prescription painkillers? :wink:
Seems strange to me that someone who does not take drugs (legal or illegal) would open a site that actively promotes them. The logic just does not add up to me.
It is possible to promote the freedom to do something, without actually partaking in that thing. I think drug prohibition has been a huge mistake, but I don't do drugs. I don't even smoke, although I have the occasional drink. Similarly, I think that outlawing prostitution solves nothing, but I have never used a prostitute and do not ever intend to.
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

I live in Ireland, and as of late we've been getting a lot of crap flowing through popular media pertaining to scandals in the church. Frankly, I don't care what you believe in; if you molest a kid, you're probably sick in the head. Uniform, religion, sex or skin colour is irrelevant in my eyes.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Of course pedophiles of any religion are equally bad in and of themselves, but that doesn't get the church off the hook for covering up the abusers within their ranks all these years.

Sure, you could argue that there are plenty of pedophile child molesters outside the church as well, but if someone were to help those pedophiles cover up their crimes, he would probably be charged for aiding and abetting a felon. Why is the Catholic church not held to the same standard? Why are they allowed to shield child molesters with zero consequence?

Return to “General Discussion”