Idiocracy

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Popp Singh

Idiocracy

Post by Popp Singh »

Did anyone see the film Idiocracy ? If so what did you think of it ? Do you think we live in an idiocracy ?

Personaly i liked the film and it got me thinking especialy about our governments and a lot of the conspiracy theorys going around on the internet . Most of the ones i`ve seen seem to me to be realy stupid . For instance a lot of the 9/11 and lockerby ones . I think that the world needs neutral , independant , objective inquirys with full powers to investigate those things but only because as it is now i dont think we are being told the whole truth . I also think that a lot of the conspiracy acusations are not true and a big part of what happened and why they happened might have something to do with us liveing in an idiocracy . Watching the british election news and candidates debateing also makes me think that to .

Any thoughts ?
sb_stefan

Re: Idiocracy

Post by sb_stefan »

Yes, we are heading towards an idiocracy, no doubt. The scene where he enters the hospital is classic, reminds me so much of when I'm calling a computer company's support line.
moonlightkisu
Name: Miss Moonlight

Post by moonlightkisu »

I saw it on comedy central a while ago. It was ok, not as great as it could have been though.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

oleg-karow wrote:Did anyone see the film Idiocracy ?
I didn't see it. What was its central message?
If so what did you think of it ? Do you think we live in an idiocracy ?

Personaly i liked the film and it got me thinking especialy about our governments and a lot of the conspiracy theorys going around on the internet . Most of the ones i`ve seen seem to me to be realy stupid . For instance a lot of the 9/11 and lockerby ones . I think that the world needs neutral , independant , objective inquirys with full powers to investigate those things but only because as it is now i dont think we are being told the whole truth . I also think that a lot of the conspiracy acusations are not true and a big part of what happened and why they happened might have something to do with us liveing in an idiocracy . Watching the british election news and candidates debateing also makes me think that to .

Any thoughts ?
If "idiocracy" means that we live in a society dominated by the intellectual lowest common denominator, that is virtually self-evident. It's an unfortunate side-effect of democracy.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill.

However, saying that "the world needs neutral, independent, objective inquiries with full powers to investigate those things" is silly. All of those events were already investigated in a highly professional manner, and the conspiracy nutjobs simply dismiss those inquiries as part of the conspiracy. It's literally impossible to satisfy these people. Look at the Holocaust deniers: the Nazis left hundreds of tons of documents and millions of eyewitnesses to their atrocities, yet there are still people who deny that it ever happened.

It's no different from people who deny evolution or greenhouse gas theory. At some point you have to ask: "precisely what evidence would make you happy?" Of course, when you ask that, they inevitably do one of two things:

1) Demand something completely silly, like a time machine into the past or the future.
2) Demand something reasonable, but then move the goalposts when you provide it.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I aint good at writeing and often come across as arogant . I am not and dont mean to be so please dont take what i say in a negative way or against anyone . I`m also not very good at explaining things so please instead of anyone trying to pin me down because of the words i use or the way i explain please try to understand what i`m trying to say = real comunication .

"I didn't see it. What was its central message?"

That the people and the governments are realy as thick as two short planks . It`s worth watching . Its not very well made but if one thinks about it after watching it it makes a lot of sense .

We dont live in a democracy . Democracy is a theoretical system where the people decide what they want and the politicians do it . We live in a party political democracy which is where we vote for partys that tell us what to do . Party politial democracy is virtualy the same system as the one o.cromwell fought to get rid of .

The dumbness of society is a direct consequence of our "education" system wich in end effect is there to either train people to be content slaves / subserviant and / or to filter out the ones that the establishment can use to their own ends . I find it supriseing how many people when given the chance to talk and think and being given the feeling that they are allowed to do it can do it . Children being very good examples . We are doing it now and thats what i am about ...... provokeing people to think and act for themselves . Some people might argue that that encourages egoism but they are wrong in the long term . It is to all our advantages to do it because we all have the same needs and egoism in the sence of greed or dishonesty dont pay = if we kill the goose that lays the golden eggs ( The planet , nature and us ) we all die . The establishment knows that if it burdens the donkey to much = us it either dies or rebels . Society is like a pan full of boiling water , The water has to be heated as much as posible to keep the steam up = keep things going but not enough that the lid gets forced off and the water boils over = we rebel .

Did you know that winnie was a nazi ? He hated jews . And he died of syphalis wich makes / can make people into morons . He was a figurehead another malboro or levis who happened to be around at the time we had a war . He didnt win the war or do anything other than the job that very many other people could have done if in the same position . He didnt run the country on his own or win the war with his own personal strategy .

I tried to get over the point that i`m not a nutty conspiracy fanatic . If we had real inquierys , includeing one about the holocaust , i think that very many conspiracy theorys would be shown to be untrue . By not haveing them we encourage stupid theorys from ignorant and / or evil and / or greedy people .Lockerby and 9/11 have never had the sort of inquiery that i am talking about . The only inquierys that have been done were to say the least castrated . For instance in the war against islam ( terrorism ) how many times have we heard "We are doing it in your interests but cant tell you because of national security incase the terrorist find out" .or other excuses like that ?

Back to lockerby .

Personaly i think that its obvious that we are not being told the truth by our governments wich was also speculated about by the press from the start of the reporting to the end of it . Reasons being the oil that libya has and the talk of deals being done in the background .

I watch swiss , austrian , german , german / french , english , russian and american news programs on tv . The news tends to come in slightly diferent on all those chanels , mostly because of the way reporters for those chanels have been taught to look at things , but after a short time they all start to sound like a choir . In the few days after lockerby several small pieces of information were reported and afterwards never talked about again . It was reported that the CIA had done a deal with an anti syrian government "terrorist" group . They had been alowed to smugle 2 - 5 kilos of heroin in the pilots bag into the US to raise mioney to buy arms to over throw the syrian government . Then it was reported that that group had been infiltrated and taken over by the syrian secret service and that they had put a bomb in the bag . Then it was reported that the british and german secret services knew about the heroin deal and had watched the bag being carryed into the plane . This wasnt only in one news paper or on one channel . Bits surfaced in several . Then the libyans were offered a deal . If you take the blame we will drop the sanctions against you and buy oil and invest in your coumntry again . If you think about it that fits MUCH better than the official story . Dont you remember of the two guys that were charged one walked and the other got out after a relatively short time . We were told it was because of compasionate reasons but strangely enough it was just before his appeal . The reasons for that apeal had been checked by many international law experts and the apeal was only allowed because they were good reasons to doubt the evidence and the previous trials .

Anyway . I aint saying that that is the true story or the whole one but it and what we have been told so far are enough for me to want a full enquiery . The same goes for the other events i have mentioned . The only chance we have of stopping all the loony theorys or at least containing them is to do that .

Someone said in the mary and john ( mari-juana ) thread something about the subject being a mine field . If we wake up one day to find ourselves in a mine field burying our heads in the sand will only result in more trouble and the best cource of action is to try to find the best way out .
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

oleg-karow wrote:"I didn't see it. What was its central message?"

That the people and the governments are realy as thick as two short planks . It`s worth watching . Its not very well made but if one thinks about it after watching it it makes a lot of sense.
That's an incredibly easy argument to make. The problem is that everyone thinks he's part of the small and smart minority, but by definition, only a few people really are. Politics is the art of convincing the majority of people that they're smarter than average, that you alone understand them, and that everyone not like them is stupid.
We dont live in a democracy . Democracy is a theoretical system where the people decide what they want and the politicians do it . We live in a party political democracy which is where we vote for partys that tell us what to do . Party politial democracy is virtualy the same system as the one o.cromwell fought to get rid of.
We live in a republic, ie- a representative democracy. A pure democracy would be incredibly foolish. As it is, I think there's actually too much democracy, particularly in the US system which is seemingly locked into a perpetual election campaign.
The dumbness of society is a direct consequence of our "education" system wich in end effect is there to either train people to be content slaves / subserviant and / or to filter out the ones that the establishment can use to their own ends.
I sincerely hope English is not your first language. If it is, then your shaky grasp of it makes your derogatory comments about education incredibly ironic.
I find it supriseing how many people when given the chance to talk and think and being given the feeling that they are allowed to do it can do it . Children being very good examples . We are doing it now and thats what i am about ...... provokeing people to think and act for themselves.
It's good to encourage independent thinking, but not at the expense of structured formal learning. Only a genius-level intellect could figure out calculus in his own mind, for example. Most of us will require structured formal learning to grasp such concepts, or at least well-written textbooks and tutorials (yes, I know, Newton and Leibniz figured it out on their own, but they were geniuses), in which you do all the exercises and check them against answers provided by experts (which is still a form of third-party judging, albeit by proxy).
Some people might argue that that encourages egoism but they are wrong in the long term . It is to all our advantages to do it because we all have the same needs and egoism in the sence of greed or dishonesty dont pay = if we kill the goose that lays the golden eggs ( The planet , nature and us ) we all die.
But if you make a mistake in your independent self-learning, you can come up with seriously invalid conclusions, thus leading to non-productive or (worse yet) counter-productive plans for solving your (or the Earth's) problems.

You are thinking like Aristotle, who believed that the unburdened independent mind was superior to collaboration, because the independent mind would not be vulnerable to other peoples' mistakes. His mistake lay in forgetting that team members can catch each other's mistakes. So it is with formal learning versus independent learning. In a university, if you completely screwed up your understanding of thermodynamics (for example), you will flunk a midterm. You will receive a message, in no uncertain terms, that you made a mistake. As a pure independent learner, your only judge and examiner is yourself, and guess what: when people are their own examiners, they tend to give themselves straight A's.
The establishment knows that if it burdens the donkey to much = us it either dies or rebels . Society is like a pan full of boiling water , The water has to be heated as much as posible to keep the steam up = keep things going but not enough that the lid gets forced off and the water boils over = we rebel .
Cute analogy. Doesn't prove a thing.
Did you know that winnie was a nazi ? He hated jews . And he died of syphalis wich makes / can make people into morons . He was a figurehead another malboro or levis who happened to be around at the time we had a war . He didnt win the war or do anything other than the job that very many other people could have done if in the same position . He didnt run the country on his own or win the war with his own personal strategy .
Attacking Winston Churchill's character does not disprove the validity of the quote. That's a classic "attack the messenger, not the message" ad-hominem fallacy.
I tried to get over the point that i`m not a nutty conspiracy fanatic . If we had real inquierys , includeing one about the holocaust , i think that very many conspiracy theorys would be shown to be untrue .
The fact that you think there has never been a proper inquiry into the Holocaust tells me that despite your denials, you are a nutty conspiracy fanatic. There is zero serious historical doubt that the Holocaust happened. This event has been studied in far greater detail by far more people than most historical events.
By not haveing them we encourage stupid theorys from ignorant and / or evil and / or greedy people .Lockerby and 9/11 have never had the sort of inquiery that i am talking about . The only inquierys that have been done were to say the least castrated .
Again, despite your denials, this does sound like the ravings of a nutty conspiracy theorist. Inquiries were done; precisely what evidence do you have that they were "castrated"?
For instance in the war against islam ( terrorism ) how many times have we heard "We are doing it in your interests but cant tell you because of national security incase the terrorist find out" .or other excuses like that ?
Red-herring. That has nothing to do with the 9/11 commission. I am not defending Bush-era abuses of power, but you can't claim that everything done between 2000 and 2008 is fraudulent just because Bush had a penchant for abusing national security justifications or exaggerating the power of the executive branch of government.
Back to lockerby .
Why focus on Lockerbie? Don't you have conspiracy websites you can copy and paste from for 9/11, the Kennedy assassination, the Holocaust, the Moon landing, captured aliens in New Mexico, and Elvis' current place of residence?
Personaly i think that its obvious that we are not being told the truth by our governments wich was also speculated about by the press from the start of the reporting to the end of it . Reasons being the oil that libya has and the talk of deals being done in the background .
"I think it's obvious" is not evidence. Whispered mutterings about motives are not evidence either. If someone is accused of a murder, you need to present evidence that he committed it. Motive alone is inadequate evidence.

If your uncle dies of a heart attack and has life insurance, you don't suddenly look at your aunt and say "Hmmm, who had the most to gain", look up ways to simulate a heart attack, and then conclude that the police must be helping cover it all up. You need some kind of real evidence that she murdered him.
I watch swiss , austrian , german , german / french , english , russian and american news programs on tv . The news tends to come in slightly diferent on all those chanels , mostly because of the way reporters for those chanels have been taught to look at things , but after a short time they all start to sound like a choir . In the few days after lockerby several small pieces of information were reported and afterwards never talked about again . It was reported that the CIA had done a deal with an anti syrian government "terrorist" group . They had been alowed to smugle 2 - 5 kilos of heroin in the pilots bag into the US to raise mioney to buy arms to over throw the syrian government . Then it was reported that that group had been infiltrated and taken over by the syrian secret service and that they had put a bomb in the bag . Then it was reported that the british and german secret services knew about the heroin deal and had watched the bag being carryed into the plane . This wasnt only in one news paper or on one channel . Bits surfaced in several . Then the libyans were offered a deal . If you take the blame we will drop the sanctions against you and buy oil and invest in your coumntry again.
"It was reported" doesn't prove much without credible sources. I can say "it was reported that your mother wears army boots" too; so what?
If you think about it that fits MUCH better than the official story .
It fits what, exactly? Your preferences? Your refusal to accept incompetence as an explanation when you could invent a conspiracy instead?
Dont you remember of the two guys that were charged one walked and the other got out after a relatively short time . We were told it was because of compasionate reasons but strangely enough it was just before his appeal . The reasons for that apeal had been checked by many international law experts and the apeal was only allowed because they were good reasons to doubt the evidence and the previous trials .
Yes, I recall hearing about the guy who got a "compassionate release". How does this prove that there was a multi-national conspiracy to cover up the truth?
Anyway . I aint saying that that is the true story or the whole one but it and what we have been told so far are enough for me to want a full enquiery . The same goes for the other events i have mentioned . The only chance we have of stopping all the loony theorys or at least containing them is to do that .
Precisely what would constitute a "full inquiry" in your eyes? Who would conduct it? How would they prove to you that they were not being influenced?
Someone said in the mary and john ( mari-juana ) thread something about the subject being a mine field . If we wake up one day to find ourselves in a mine field burying our heads in the sand will only result in more trouble and the best cource of action is to try to find the best way out .
That's nice rhetoric, but it doesn't actually say much of anything.

Look, I'm not trying to say you're an evil person or anything, but I think you're succumbing to a popular mindset which tends to generate faulty conclusions. This mindset is heavily popularized in movies, and it goes like this: when presented with a straightforward explanation of something, a character in a movie says "It can't be. That's too simple." And of course, he's always right. There's always someone with motive who made something happen. But this is real-life, not the movies.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I didnt read all of your post yet but my IQ is 154 . Please dont get education , spelling and gramar mudled up with inteligence .

Its fun talking with you ( all ) and i think we are ( all ) mostly agreeing with eachother . I see what you are trying to say in the bits i have read in your last post but you are talking about society as it is = undereducated , kept in the dark and mentaly castrated from birth . I think that if we educated people to think for themselves they would see that we all have the sam interests and basicaly stay within sociably aceptable limits . But anyway i`m going up the wooden hill to fairy land now as i cant focus any more .

PS . I am , or at least was , a native english speaking person and i dont come from the colonys ( = the UN-U.S. ) ........... ROTFL .
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

oleg-karow wrote:I didnt read all of your post yet but my IQ is 154 . Please dont get education , spelling and gramar mudled up with inteligence .
I think this statement requires a neutral, independent, objective inquiry. Joking aside, if you would have just started with this, Darth wouldn't have had to spend time writing that huge post.

Just so you know, 154 is 4 deviations away from the average. 0.003% of the population.
oleg-karow wrote:Its fun talking with you ( all ) and i think we are ( all ) mostly agreeing with eachother . I see what you are trying to say in the bits i have read in your last post but you are talking about society as it is = undereducated , kept in the dark and mentaly castrated from birth . I think that if we educated people to think for themselves they would see that we all have the sam interests and basicaly stay within sociably aceptable limits . But anyway i`m going up the wooden hill to fairy land now as i cant focus any more .

PS . I am , or at least was , a native english speaking person and i dont come from the colonys ( = the UN-U.S. ) ........... ROTFL .
Discussions with others who do not share your point of view can be fulfilling and teaching experiences. I say "can" because not all ideas are equivalently correct and solidly founded. Debating with people who cannot properly source their points (or, perhaps, do not even understand what that really means) is a fruitless exercise where everyone loses.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
jeanlerymc

Post by jeanlerymc »

If you ain't good in writing and you're actually experiencing difficulties in English, you can actually develop it through enhancing and learning how you could be able to increase confidence in speaking. You can express your message little by little as you can develop more your English fluency. It could help you write better statement, expertly.

Return to “General Discussion”