SGA: File-sharing is worse than bank robbery!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

SGA: File-sharing is worse than bank robbery!

Post by Darth Wong »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... mpaign=rss

Excerpt:
"There are numerous economic crimes of much lesser magnitude (such as bank robbery) that are routinely and fully investigated, for which law enforcement agencies such as the FBI have significant resources," complains the [Songwriters'] Guild. "By contrast, online copyright piracy dwarfs bank robbery in causing economic losses, yet the FBI has limited criminal investigative interest and no civil mandate whatsoever to pursue this devastating economic harm. This inequity must change."
"Devastating economic harm?" They're still doing that "assume every download is a lost sale" thing, aren't they? Not to mention the fact that bank robberies involve violent threat to human life. I think this says something about the growing disconnect between the general population and the people in the entertainment business.
Popp Singh

Re: SGA: File-sharing is worse than bank robbery!

Post by Popp Singh »

Its total bull . That industry is useing their own projected figures in an ideal situation ignoreing the financial problems we are haveing now .

Its a fact that their income is not going down its raising . Pop stars incomes to . Their income IS comeing less from selling CDs but the income from people ..... who have got hot for it by listening to their music......... who go to concerts is riseing . Plus the fact that they arent looseing even a fraction of their projected incomes because of people nicking CDs from shops anymore . AND i remember when one went into a music shop and could listen to any record for free....... and people still bought them . ( The "legitimacy" of patents and copyright are also two very good themes that need sorting out as how it is now its just keeping poor people down and giveing the rich an unfair advantage ) .

I`m not writeing it here ...... ( but will on my site soon and talk about patents and copyright . And if any of the people who run this site dont like me makeing adverts for my site just take a look at it because there is an advert for yours on it ) ........... but i have some very good defense points for anyone who finds themselves in the clutches of that industrys vampires . Personaly i wouldnt give a fidlers toss if i had to go to court about it and sincerely believe that either the case would be thrown out or that i`d get of with a slap on the fingers .......... ( says he laying a trail of bread crumbs........... ) . LOL .
Badkat

Post by Badkat »

Sounds like they are "reaching" on this one and using the media to do their profit crying game. In fact I can't remember the last time I read an article stating how much profits are up, and how much more money a company is making (what ever the company may be). Heaven's forbid these big companies to post their actual profits, actually pay their proper taxes per profit gain, and not have to cry every year about how much money they lost. Big corporation is making more profit than ever, thus the reason they are still around and the smaller companies are the ones suffering. Music industry is no exception. If the the public is guilty of anything, it is refusal to pay for crappy music that has been flooded at us through the music industry. There are more more music artists now than ever. Too bad only about half of them actually deserve and have talent enough to be put on an album.

Everybody thinks they are the next big music artist now. And they pay big money to record an album, and then cry when there album doesn't sell because they find out they actually don't have music talent. LOL!
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

I find it hard to care about companies crying about file-sharing when most of the price comes from brand name. On top of the fact you're merely buying distributed copies, as opposed to something that was uniquely made each time. An artist will produce a single album, and that album is copied millions of times. It's how they make their excessive amounts of money.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I also find it hard to sympathize when patents (for useful and even life-saving critical technologies) are limited to 17 years of royalties, after which they go public domain by law.

Someone explain to me why Michael Jackson's songs should continue to generate royalties forever, while a guy could invent a cure for multiple sclerosis tomorrow and get royalties which automatically cut off in 2027.
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Darth Wong wrote:I also find it hard to sympathize when patents (for useful and even life-saving critical technologies) are limited to 17 years of royalties, after which they go public domain by law.

Someone explain to me why Michael Jackson's songs should continue to generate royalties forever, while a guy could invent a cure for multiple sclerosis tomorrow and get royalties which automatically cut off in 2027.
TBH I dont even understand why one would get royalties when you invented a cure for MS. I think getting the ppl better is more than enough of an award.. Getting paid for 17 years only holds back the useage of the cure.
The same counts for for example Micheal Jackson.. The royalties are one of the things that makes CD's etc so expensive.

Of course it's nice to get paid by something you invented or at least hold a patent for it. But does it really takes 17 years to get you in the positive numbers (does it really takes 17 years to get even with the costs of development)?
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Dude, it can cost $100 million just to bring a single new drug to market. Why would anyone invest that kind of money in R&D when a competitor could just copy their product without all the R&D costs, and sell it for cheap?

Technological R&D is not like writing music songs. The costs can be enormous. Car companies spend billions of dollars on R&D.

The real perversion here is that instead of getting less royalty guarantees for the greatly reduced cost of development compared to technology, musicians get more.

Remember: the patent and copyright systems were created in order to encourage development. The question is why the artistic copyright system is more generous, when it should be less.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Darth Wong wrote:Dude, it can cost $100 million just to bring a single new drug to market. Why would anyone invest that kind of money in R&D when a competitor could just copy their product without all the R&D costs, and sell it for cheap?

Technological R&D is not like writing music songs. The costs can be enormous. Car companies spend billions of dollars on R&D.

The real perversion here is that instead of getting less royalty guarantees for the greatly reduced cost of development compared to technology, musicians get more.

Remember: the patent and copyright systems were created in order to encourage development. The question is why the artistic copyright system is more generous, when it should be less.
s/musicians get/the RIAA gets/
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Darth Wong wrote:Dude, it can cost $100 million just to bring a single new drug to market. Why would anyone invest that kind of money in R&D when a competitor could just copy their product without all the R&D costs, and sell it for cheap?

Do you know what it costs to buy one of these "drugs"? Im sorry but counting the numbers of sold drugs + the patent royalties vs the R&D costs is not in the middle or even a little to the profit side (left).. The profits these guys make, makes the R&D costs look like pocket change even with R&D costs of drugs that don't work counted with it. (I think they even can get some sort of subsidies for their R&D (read cooperate with some universities)). And of course they should make money (thats the whole point of capitalism ain't it) but to say they have a "hard" time, i'm sorry I don't fall for that..

Patents are put in place to make it possible to protect your invention not to make extra money. But that's my pov.
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

Return to “General Discussion”