Q: How do you know when your forum is a failure?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
sb_stefan

Post by sb_stefan »

A: When you can't help feeling a little bit happy seeing that a spambot just registered. "At least someone acknowledges my existence online!" :D

More signs?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Q: How do you know when your forum is a failure?

Post by KevC »

Spambots are just a part of the net although stopping them registering is quite easy.

As for deciding if a site is a failure, I think after 6 months if you've basically got no or only a handful of members and they aren't visiting or posting that much then it's time to re-evaluate the site and decide if it's working or not. If it isn't then you have to try and work out why. Are the forums wrong? Do you have lots of unnecessary ones that detract from the subject of the site? What are people likely to type in to a search engine to find it, and if you do the same do you actually find your own site? Are you making the most of advertising opportunities like sig links on other sites and facebook? Do you have enough content to attract people? Be honest, would you join it if you stumbled across it?

But at the end of the day, sometimes sites just don't work for whatever reason. You might be in a crowded market, you might have a site that doesn't have any content so people think it's dead already or you might just have a subject people aren't really bothered in. Then you have to decide to shut it and try something different. A nice threshold I tend to find is that if I can crack one new member a day then I know it's going to work. If I don't get that in 6 months then it's probably not happening.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

sb_stefan wrote:A: When you can't help feeling a little bit happy seeing that a spambot just registered. "At least someone acknowledges my existence online!" :D

More signs?

Without posting a link, mind explaining a bit about your forum? Context is nice when it comes to answering these kinds of questions.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Ask yourself this question after one year of running.
If you are not happy with it, you either need to think about your strategy or kill your forum. :)

There is no definitive answer. The answer for your forum is what you want from your forum.

For me,
Activity on my forum is slow, but i still consider it successful.
It might go few days without any posts, but my forum has its place on a small localised community. :)
Signature is here
arlielouka99
Name: Arlie Louka

Post by arlielouka99 »

Well generally when you realise you're the only one making posts - you're writing paragraphs and paragraphs of content, only to find you're the only one replying to your own posts :geek:
Badkat

Post by Badkat »

You know your forum is a failure when your logging on and posting on Facebook more than your own forum. Social networking sites and the popularity of Facebook and MySpace have slowed down general website forums in my opinion. :(
wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

I agree with Badkat ...and also if your forum has been on the net for half a year and you don't have at least five posts a day or one new member a day.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Badkat wrote:You know your forum is a failure when your logging on and posting on Facebook more than your own forum. Social networking sites and the popularity of Facebook and MySpace have slowed down general website forums in my opinion. :(
wadie wrote:I agree with Badkat ...and also if your forum has been on the net for half a year and you don't have at least five posts a day or one new member a day.
Hell no!

My forum is perfect example why these two are not what i use to define a successful forum.

If you decide post count and user/day is what qualifies successful forum. You are wrong.
Not everyone uses this method to evaluate their forums.

Successful forum is exactly what the forum administrator wants it to be.
I don't have five posts a day and i log in to Facebook more than i post on my forums, ;)

If you as admin are happy with your forum. Then your forum is successful, you have met all the criteria you have set for your forum. :)
Signature is here
wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

Right,but I guess every Admin wants to see his forum growing as fast as possible and of course as he wants..
Peetra

Post by Peetra »

well.... I think a forum that I and my boyfriend are running is a great success. He is not that satisfied. I go back now and then and read old posts (jokes, funny pics and our private area) and play games at it. There is not so much activity in the forum no more and both I and he has stopped to write in the most popular forums in it that much. I sometimes snap and spam though. :mrgreen:

As a forum it isn't that great longer, but all the nice content that is in there is great to have, at least for me, so I don't think it is a failure. Not now, actually never. Even if we closed the forum from writers I think it will remain some level of importness. I would probably set it up at my local testservers that noone else can reach, if we had to take it offline! :D
I am so hooked on bubbles, that I made a Bubble Witch Saga WP-site! Most addictive game since Tetris!
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

Your forum's success is whatever you define it to be. On a personal level, I'd love to learn enough PHP to do my own modding of phpBB. Wheter or not my forum is popular or gets any hits would be irrelevant to me at that stage.
Bituser

Post by Bituser »

Shadow of Nobody wrote:Your forum's success is whatever you define it to be. On a personal level, I'd love to learn enough PHP to do my own modding of phpBB. Wheter or not my forum is popular or gets any hits would be irrelevant to me at that stage.
I agree.

My forum has about 58 users. We have about 15 users logging in day and posting so I think its alright. I think my problem maybe the fact that I have a specific topic (Mine is a computer game called spore). The url will make people think that its one topic, but you really can talk about what you want in Off Topic Sections.
Im actually thinking of changing it to an off topic forum.

Its really your decision as to whether its working or not, but at the stage I am at right now, I don't really care. Its really just helping me learn new stuff, and get better at managing a website. If you went straight into getting 50 users a day, I don't think you could manage as you wouldn't have the knowledge to handle the spam etc.
Badkat

Post by Badkat »

I enjoy having a Forum on my company website. Fun, and as stated earlier it is teaching me new things and I am slowly, very slowly, learning how to manage the forum. But I definately get more response from Facebook, not the forum. Forum is fun to have, and I would not stop using it in association with a website. But Facebook definately gives me more networking.

Return to “General Discussion”