admin email-spam campaign

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
panzerfaust

admin email-spam campaign

Post by panzerfaust » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:49 pm

I seems my website has for one reason or another garnered the ire of someone, because this morning there were eight messages in my admin mailbox from companies and people I've never had any contact with.
here's a sample. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was thinking to change the admin email address but how do I do that?
And is that even the best way to deal with it- or should I just not worry about it and let the thing run it's course?

Julstro Support is available Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm CST USA.
We will contact you back within 24 hours following the above mentioned operating hours.
Thank you,
Julstro Support Team

Hello and thank you for contacting the Administration team of ArabsWorldwide.com

We are in receipt of your email and will reply shortly.

Warm Regards,

Site Administration
This is an auto response to your email.

Thank you for your email,
SGHairTalk.com will reply to your email as soon as possible.

Have A Good Day.
Seeing as how I never even opened you email I find that hard to fathom.

Congratulations - you are now on a black list.

Have a nice day.

"Support - wrote:
The message you sent requires that you verify that you
are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
the subject line intact.

The headers of the message sent from your address are show below:

From 1-return-4-richard=Wed Jun 23 12:10:12 2010
Received: from [174.137.57.42] (helo=Sameh Nabil)
by redwood.dns8.net with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <>)
id 1ORTSh-0001gt-3W
for ; Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:10:12 -0500
Received: (qmail 5656 invoked by uid 1006); 23 Jun 2010 17:00:11 -0000
Mailing-List: contact 1-; run by ezmlm
Precedence: bulk
X-No-Archive: yes
List-Post: <mailto:>
List-Help: <mailto:1->
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:>
Reply-To:
Delivered-To: mailing list
Delivered-To: moderator for
Received: (qmail 21573 invoked by uid 0); 23 Jun 2010 16:48:50 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=arabsworldwide.com;
h=Received:Date:To:X-Autorespond:MIME-Version:X-Loop:Precedence:X-Precedence:From:Content-type:Subject:X-Identified-User;
b=MF9bfDlpN3pA8J+snLiRJvrGMMqYk/m/+Uxa421UG8Tc9isZT4JeILPT1bhoIKFpDyS2HfRQD11yIDz6u88WZDTZ+sgaPun9nKCNqRR0qc93Cc9xa3NozGA24YJ8NPgd;
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:48:49 -0600
To:
X-Autorespond: Big Discount on phpBB services
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Loop:
Precedence: auto_reply
X-Precedence: auto_reply
Content-type: text/plain; charset=ansi_x3.110-1983
X-Identified-User: {33036:box438.bluehost.com:arabchri:arabsworldwide.com} {sentby:program running on server}
Subject: Thank you for contacting us
X-Antivirus-Scanner: Clean mail though you should still use an Antivirus

Thank you for your e-mail i will respond within 24 hrs.
kind regards
koimaster aka mark
Thanks for the email. When I have returned to my computer,
I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Lee
UNW Web Admin

The message you sent requires that you verify that you
are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
the subject line intact.

The headers of the message sent from your address are show below:

From 1-return-3-richard= Wed Jun 23 12:01:04 2010
Received: from [174.137.57.42] (helo=Sameh Nabil)
by redwood.dns8.net with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <>)
id 1ORTJv-0000D5-3u
for ; Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:01:04 -0500
Received: (qmail 5318 invoked by uid 1006); 23 Jun 2010 17:00:02 -0000
Mailing-List: contact; run by ezmlm
Precedence: bulk
X-No-Archive: yes
List-Post: <mailto:>
List-Help: <mailto:>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:>
Reply-To:
Delivered-To: mailing list
Delivered-To: moderator for
Received: (qmail 20321 invoked by uid 0); 23 Jun 2010 16:48:43 -0000
To:
X-Autorespond: Big Discount on phpBB services
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Loop:
Precedence: auto_reply
X-Precedence: auto_reply
Content-type: text/plain; charset=ansi_x3.110-1983
Message-Id: <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:48:34 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - gator903.hostgator.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - lists.epwork.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [730 730] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - gator903.hostgator.com
Subject: Julstro Support has received your message
X-Antivirus-Scanner: Clean mail though you should still use an Antivirus

Last edited by lurttinen on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edited, topics combined and moved to GD

panzerfaust

Re: admin email-harassment campaign

Post by panzerfaust » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:51 pm

and now I have this one? IS it a phishing thing?
We - eprowk.com - are very sorry for the problem that have occurred and result in sending some undesirable emails

so please to unsubscribe from this mailing list press this link :

we provide paid services to phpBB forums owners , we will begin to send tips and useful lessons to whom is interested

thank you for understanding .

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Phishing yeah.
I have seen that please_report_this_message_to_a_moderator@hotmail.com before.
Spam. Delete it.

Popp Singh

I think i`m being attacked

Post by Popp Singh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:57 pm

I need help . I dont know how to explain this because i`m extra tired but i`ll do my best .

After posting here i got a mail to my email adress from a guy in the middle east offering me phpbb help . I ignored it . Then a few days later i got another one from the same guy . I ignored that to .

Then after a few days i couldnt send any emails to friends with hotmail adresses they all came back with a message from hotmail telling me that my adress had been used to send spam . After a few days i could reach my hotmail friends . Then about a week later the same thing happened again .

Then i tried to register at area51 with my email adress and got the message that i couldnt register from my email adress . So i tried to register with the email adress from my web site . I couldnt register again and got the same message . I also tried to register at a few other phpbb sites and got the same message .

Now today in less than ten minutes i recieved 4 emails that had been sent to the admin of my web site wich got rredirected to me . Two of them were from the same guy from the middle east offering me phpbb services . The other two came from a firm in the US saying thank you for your email we will reply tomorrow . .

Then within the same ten minutes i got two replys adressed to the firm in the US from people saying that i ( = that firm ) had just emailed them . I didnt email them . One of the replys came from a guy thats been posting here over the last few days saying hed put me on a black list .

Because the hotmail problems stopped each time after a few days i thought that it must be because i have a dynamic IP and thought that the person who had had it before me had been sending spam and that that IP adress had been banned from sending emails to hotmail adresses . Now i`m not so sure .

I know its easy to send emails to people that apear as if they have been sent from other peoples email adresses so i`m wondering if someone is haveing a go at me in that way .

I have looked in the "erweiterter Header" ( sorry for the german word . I think it means lengthened in english ) of each mail and these keep popping up in them . ( Sorry i`m tired and at the moment and i havent got the concentration to search all those headers and tell you exactly which ones have wich adresses in them so i cant say if all of them have got these adresses in them )

arabsworldwide.com
@lists.epwork.com
caratnetworks.com

Since i started writeing this post i`ve recieved 5 more emails and my email acount has slowed to less than a snails pace wich makes me think i`m beeing flooded with contact atempts . The last email said

"We - eprowk.com - are very sorry for the problem that have occurred and result in sending some undesirable emails so please to unsubscribe from this mailing list press this link :

1-unsubscribe@lists.epwork.com

we provide paid services to phpBB forums owners , we will begin to send tips and useful lessons to whom is interested thank you for understanding ."

Getting spam doesnt realy bother me because i`m extra good at ignoreing people but not being able to register at sites + not being able to send emails to hotmail adresses and getting anoyed replys from people that think i`ve sent them an email is a pain in the ass .

Anyone got any ideas about what i can do ?

zthornton

Post by zthornton » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I received the EXACT same string of e-mails. I think the whole thing is a well-orchestrated scam.

For me it all appeared to begin with a phone call from an automated service, it said to press 9 to remove myself from the list. I pressed 9, now thinking about it I should not have...

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:18 pm

I do not know what telephone calls and Emails would have to do with one-another, unless you have both posted in the same public place.

Synthwerx

Post by Synthwerx » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:55 pm

I have been receiving the same messages for about 2 weeks...

It started with this:
Hi ,
We are offering a big discount on all phpBB services from now till the end of this month .
Contact us now and get 50% discount !!

Thank you
Then this message arrived:
Seeing as how I never even opened you email I find that hard to fathom.

Congratulations - you are now on a black list.

Have a nice day.

wrote:
Julstro Support is available Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm CST USA.
We will contact you back within 24 hours following the above mentioned operating hours.
Thank you,
Julstro Support Team
And finally this:
We - - are very sorry for the problem that have occurred and result in sending some undesirable emails
so please to unsubscribe from this mailing list press this link :

We provide paid services to phpBB forums owners , we will begin to send tips and useful lessons to whom is interested

Thank you for understanding .
One heck of a way to get people to buy your services. :lol:
Synthwerx.com Analog & Digital Synthesis...The Werx

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:24 pm

It appears our favorite style work spammer has found a new way to annoy the world. :roll:

You have the multitude of emails from various sources because he harvested emails and added them to a mailing list. The first email offer went out. Then the admins with auto-respond set on their email addresses replied to the list. Finally, he realized his mistake and sent the email offering removal.

This guy keeps trying to advertise his services to no end. Based on whois records, he appears to be his own host, so I don't know who you would report it to. :? He certainly has given this moderator team plenty of work.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

NeitherSparky

Post by NeitherSparky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I got these too, I was pretty confused. :? Whatever.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:01 pm

I`m getting the same and posted it in the general discussion thread ---->

"I need help . I dont know how to explain this because i`m extra tired but i`ll do my best .

After posting here i got a mail to my email adress from a guy in the middle east offering me phpbb help . I ignored it . Then a few days later i got another one from the same guy . I ignored that to .

Then after a few days i couldnt send any emails to friends with hotmail adresses they all came back with a message from hotmail telling me that my adress had been used to send spam . After a few days i could reach my hotmail friends again . Then about a week later the same thing happened again .

Then i tried to register at area51 with my email adress and got the message that i couldnt register from my email adress . So i tried to register with the email adress from my web site . I couldnt register again and got the same message . I also tried to register at a few other phpbb sites and got the same message .

Now today in less than ten minutes i recieved 4 emails that had been sent to the admin of my web site wich got redirected to me . Two of them were from the same guy from the middle east offering me phpbb services . The other two came from a firm in the US saying thank you for your email we will reply tomorrow . .

Then within the same ten minutes i got two replys adressed to the firm in the US from people saying that i ( = that firm ) had just emailed them . I didnt email them . One of the replys came from a guy thats been posting here over the last few days saying hed put me on a black list .

Because the hotmail problems stopped each time after a few days i thought that it must be because i have a dynamic IP adress and thought that the person who had had it before me had been sending spam and that that IP adress had been banned from sending emails to hotmail adresses . Now i`m not so sure .

I know its easy to send emails to people that apear as if they have been sent from other peoples email adresses so i`m wondering if someone is haveing a go at me in that way .

I have looked in the "erweiterter Header" ( sorry for the german word . I think it means lengthened in english ) of each mail and these keep popping up in them . ( Sorry i`m tired and at the moment and i havent got the concentration to search all those headers and tell you exactly which ones have wich adresses in them so i cant say if all of them have got these adresses in them )

arabsworldwide.com
@lists.epwork.com
caratnetworks.com

Since i started writeing this post i`ve recieved 5 more emails and my email acount has slowed to less than a snails pace wich makes me think i`m beeing flooded with contact atempts . The last email said

"We - eprowk.com - are very sorry for the problem that have occurred and result in sending some undesirable emails so please to unsubscribe from this mailing list press this link :

1-unsubscribe@lists.epwork.com

we provide paid services to phpBB forums owners , we will begin to send tips and useful lessons to whom is interested thank you for understanding ."

Getting spam doesnt realy bother me because i`m extra good at ignoreing people but not being able to register at sites + not being able to send emails to hotmail adresses and getting anoyed replys from people that think i`ve sent them an email is a pain in the ass .

Anyone got any ideas about what i can do ?"

If we all look at the headers in the emails and look at the emails we have recieved i think it will soon become clear that there are comon denominators and that it all seems to be comeing from a guy advertiseing phpbb help services . He aint very bright though as he has given me his email adress in at least 4 of the emails that offered me help . He seems to be trying to get us to believe we have a problem , wich he obviously has at least a hand in causeing .

A thing for the admins here to think about is that it definately all started here . I know that they have no fault but i do think that they should be doing something to try to help us or at least show a tad more solidarity and sugest what action we can take . They all know much more about computers and the net than we do and i`m sure that if they took a good look at what is happening = for a start the headers of the mails we are recieving that they could pin down exactly whats happening and whos doing it . If that happened maybe we could all flood him with emails and spread his name and adress around the net . That always worked before . Another thing is an anti spam list where we put a "DO NOT BUY" list of all the firms selling php services , fake louis futon bags and world cup tshirts that we get spammed by .

As far as i can see his name is "sameh nxxxl" and he is an arab from the middle east . And its not a phishing attack its a dilitantic attempt to get us to pay him for his help to solve our problems .

To some of the people in this thread .You shouldnt post details of email adresses that are in the headers because some of those people are just inocent victimes that are being used like us .
What i say is my opinion . If you dont like it or dissagree with it lets talk about it and try to come to an agreement . I`m not to old to learn or change my opinions if they are wrong .

http://www.youtopia.ws

JJBAKER

Caution! Spammer!

Post by JJBAKER » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 am

Now and till the end of this month , enjoy having our professional phpBB services with 50% discount .

you can have any number of MODs , upgrade your forum to the latest secure version , fix any problem or issue

for more info please visit our website : www.epwork.com
contact us via this email to get fast reply : Please report this message to a moderator@hotmail.com

thank you
Earlier today this kid posted an apology with a fraudulent link (somehow stupidly disguised to look like an email to "unsubscribe" from his S4itlist) whatever you do, DON'T KLICK ON IT! It's time for this to stop. Keep him in mind when you post board details and especially when furnishing usernames and passwords to duplicate the issues. It would not be surprising if this ding dong was to blame for 85% of the hacked boards.
Sameh_ Nabil - get lost, before someone else does it for ya! :ugeek:

onehundredandtwo

Re: Caution! Spammer!

Post by onehundredandtwo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:55 am

(in reply to JJBAKER)

Emails containing "unsubscribe" links which contain a unique identifier is an old trick. The rule is, if you never signed up to the service in the first place, don't trust the email.

The email address which you received it from could also be spoofed (it doesn't exist).
Last edited by onehundredandtwo on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onehundredandtwo

Re: I think i`m being attacked

Post by onehundredandtwo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:57 am

(in reply to oleg-karow)

Ignore the emails, and especially don't click any links or view any images. ;)
Last edited by onehundredandtwo on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks . I havent and i wont .

It would be cool if someone could explain exactly what would / could / might happen if i did . What advantage could thie people / person doing the dirtys have / get ? Plus what is phishing and why would anyone think that it is phishing ?

I dont think that its a real phishing attempt .... if i understand what phishing is ........ as i see no way that he can get , at least me , to give him any of my personal details . I think its a very dumb person attempting to get us to pay him for his phpbb services as i think hes left a clearly visible trail back to himself . But then again maybe that in itself is phishing ?

I remeber a few months ago there was a game forum that banned an identity and then he tried to attack them . The organisers of the site and the members got together , shared info , and tracked him down . Then they warned him and then when he didnt stop they outed him in the net and zapped him from every direction = two can play at that game .

I know how easy it is to send emails to people from false or other peoples email adresses but i cant imagine how someone can get into the internet without an ISP and stay there long enough to cause any damage . If anyone knows if / how its possible please explain it . I`m also sure that there must be ways to track him down and ways to stop him . For instance he must be useing an IP adress and that is owned by a firm or organisation somewhere so we could complain to them and get them to zap him .

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 am

A quick google search and I came across this:
Link: abcdiamond.com - lists.epwork.com
Looks like your not the only one to have received those emails.

Return to “General Discussion”