Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Popp Singh

Re: Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

Post by Popp Singh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Theres a 4.0 Beta 11 nightly out now to test . The last one looked better than 9 and was faster but seemed to have a few noticable problems . This ones getting near to the release candidate = i hope its better than the last one and nearly like the final 4.0 .

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:55 am

Well so far so good .....except that i dont like it that when i change pages a sort of banner thingy opens at the bottom of the screen and yells at me repeatedly telling me whats happening . But it goes like a roket and from what i`ve read mozilla have another trick up their sleeve to make it even faster .........but the anoying blinking thingy has to GO .......... its even worse than the .....disaster bar........

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 am

Are there any meaningful improvements in v4 or are they continuing to copy shiny things off of chrome?

I wonder if keyboard navigation in view source is fixed.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 pm

I agree on that . Mozilla seems to me to be falling into what i call "The programer syndrome" = instead of doing the things it should be doing = makeing firefox use less CPU and RAM they are adding gothic corners and flashy blinky glitzy crap just like the way microcrap went with the bloated vista 7 .

EDIT - Yes there has been a BIG change in the speed of it as compared to the 3s and the earlyer 4s .

Theres a third version Beta 11 on their server now . The third in about 24 hours .

mstealth

Post by mstealth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Popp Singh wrote:Have you had a look at it ? What do you think about it ?

when this version is going to be released? i would like to know about added features in this version.....if any one can help me out in this regard....i am currently using ff 3.6.3 and found it very useful over other ones :mrgreen: probably i am use to it ;) i would like to bring into play ff 4.0 Beta 1for sure :) thanx for letting me know of this new arrival :)

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

I just read that the final 4.0 should be out in a few weeks .

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 am

4.0.Beta 12 is on its way out . At the moment the linux bits are out and parts of the windows bits . It usualy takes a few hours untill the whole build is on the server . Hopefully this one is a bit faster than the last two wich were said to be slower than Beta 9 . Personaly i`m quite happy with Beta 11 , except for the blinky flashy glitzy bits , so i`m looking forwards to Beta 12 being even better than 11 .

I`m looking forwards to FF5 and 6 wich are suposed to be comeing out this year too as in one of them the whole java bits are suposed to be rewritten and improved so that it will have another noticable speed boost .

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 am

Firefox 4.0 is out . ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... eases/4.0/

5.0 comes wiothin 4 months followed by 6 and 7 sometime later this year .

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 am

nn- wrote:Are there any meaningful improvements in v4 or are they continuing to copy shiny things off of chrome?
In the quick moments I've used it (it actually annoyed me the first time I started it) I haven't found any.

I must say that I personally am far from impressed by the 4.0 beta's they are even slower than 3.x (as far possible) for me. Safari is running circles around it while loading and during browsing.
Popp Singh wrote:5.0 comes wiothin 4 months followed by 6 and 7 sometime later this year .
Its great that they claim such a release cycle though it are just version numbers, due to shorter times between releases the changesets between will be a lot smaller so 5.0 would be 4.3 or something like that when using the old release cycle. I don't get why so many software companies have this much focus on "major releases" does Firefox 5.x imply that its much better than Firefox 4.x? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a shorter release cycle to get stuff out to the end user quicker, though I can hardly believe that they can build/test/release 3 major releases in a year (seeing how long 4.x took) so it will most likely be more like 3 somewhat larger releases per year which IMHO shouldn't get a major versioning number increment but that's obvious a choice of them ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

villette

Post by villette » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

My firefox keeps crashing and now has the google redirect virus. As soon as i knab that thing I'm going to update!

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I agree about the first impression after installing any of the 4s = a pain in the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm , about the silly copying chrome , about the strangeness in the version numbers and the planned update frequency . Mozilla anounced that there will be at least one and maybe two more 4s before 5 comes out . From what i have read the preformance improvements in 4 arent as much as those that should come with 5 . In 5 they have promised a complete redo of the java parts wich they say should make a major improvement in speed .

Part of what anoys(?) me about firefox and mozilla is what i have called "The programers buisy fingers syndrom" = Instead of comncentrating on stoping it useing so much CPU and RAM they waste time and energy fiddleing around with the look . ............. Wich is part of what i have said about it being better / more intelligent for PHPBB to not spend so much time on other 3 versions and instead to go for 4 the complete rewrite now and in the mean time only release updates that are needed to improve security .

I havent got any info about possible preformance improvements except my own personal experience . I use links and when i click one the browser starts and i`m on the web site in 3 to 4 seconds . That is a major improvement in the preformance on past versions of firefox ........ at least for me on my computer .

All the extensions i use have been updated to work with this version and if there are any that dont work one can always install "Nightly tester tools" wich makes them compatible .

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

i think ff4 is just great. a huge improvement over 3.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Oh me oh my it feels like christmas theres a new adobe flash player out today to .....allahluja !!!

diveguy

Post by diveguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

I just updated to FF4 and now my portal page displays incorrectly. The left column displays first, then the middle column with a big blank spot in the middle of it, then the right column displays at the end on the left side. It's like a table that doesn't have all its <tr>s and <td>s correct.

It still looks good in FF3.6.

Any thoughts?

diveguy

Post by diveguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 am

Figured it out. There was a missing > in a <div> in one of the portal blocks. Not sure why the portal still worked in FF3.6. Added the > and it works fine now.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”