The end of facebook coming?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
kzone

The end of facebook coming?

Post by kzone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:46 am

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.med ... tml?hpt=T2

If this article is true, facebook days are numbered. Going by history, most people like newer, better and sexier "gadget" around....Myspace ring a bell? If Google can provide that, I predict mass migration from facebook to Google.

I must admit that tackling facebook will take time, ingenuity and tons of resources.

onehundredandtwo

Re: The end of facebook coming?

Post by onehundredandtwo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 am

Wasn't Google Buzz the end of Facebook as well? ;)

Too many people use Facebook already. Unless it's significantly better over Facebook, it doesn't have a chance at beating it. Maybe it will just become another competitor, like MySpace or Bebo.

noth

Post by noth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 am

onehundredandtwo has it totally

Facebook has another 10 years at least

for all the criticism and agonising over it's privacy controls seen in the press, the vast majority of members are completely satisfied and happy with the site's set up

of these people, many many have spent literally HOURS uploading photos or even video to the site

they are not going to easily jump ship leaving all that behind

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am

onehundredandtwo wrote:Wasn't Google Buzz the end of Facebook as well? ;)

Too many people use Facebook already. Unless it's significantly better over Facebook, it doesn't have a chance at beating it. Maybe it will just become another competitor, like MySpace or Bebo.
No,Google Buzz wasn't the end of Facebook.

The end of Facebook is near though.

kzone

Post by kzone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:04 pm

I think what killed Myspace as the top social network was the fact it didn't look professional due to several things when Facebook came out i.e Spammers, a lot of flash, perverts.

You will never know what Google will come out with. Obviously for them to compete with Facebook they will have to be better. One feature I would like to see is ability to Video teleconference with your friends without installing a program.

10 years...I doubt it. The way technology is evolving, a lot can be unveiled in one year alone.

side note: I still love Myspace because I meet my girl there long long time ago :D

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 pm

kzone wrote:I think what killed Myspace as the top social network was the fact it didn't look professional due to several things when Facebook came out i.e Spammers, a lot of flash, perverts.

You will never know what Google will come out with. Obviously for them to compete with Facebook they will have to be better. One feature I would like to see is ability to Video teleconference with your friends without installing a program.

10 years...I doubt it. The way technology is evolving, a lot can be unveiled in one year alone.

side note: I still love Myspace because I meet my girl there long long time ago :D
I bet you couldn't have found her on Facebook.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Facebook has a lot of controversy. All it needs to do is make one big mistake and the reputation could be shattered.

I don't like Facebook much but I have to use it sometimes to contact people who don't use proper means of communication.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 am

Google does lots of stuff. Some of their products are successful and some of them aren't. Their policy seems to be "if we never try, then we'll never know". Many of their most popular products were started by just a few employees and are now entire departments. This works for them because of their vast resources.

There's definitely something to be said about the public getting bored with things. Likewise, timing and marketing seem to often triumph over quality design.

In this case, CNN is just saying stuff. They're largely clueless about anything technology related and you could probably make money by consistently betting against their predictions. I doubt that Facebook will be around forever, but I would be really surprised if their downfall results from another website popping up that essentially does the same thing with a slightly different angle. People were quite happy with Myspace, but they failed largely because of their horribly ugly profiles and even more so because Facebook was the place for "big kids".
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

noth

Post by noth » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 am

interesting comments on MySpace Marshal, sorry to hear they have gone down the plug hole, :( I never joined them but still .....
god0fgod wrote:Facebook has a lot of controversy. All it needs to do is make one big mistake and the reputation could be shattered.

I don't like Facebook much but I have to use it sometimes to contact people who don't use proper means of communication.
wow the ultimate accolade to FB "who don't use proper means of communication" I bet they have a smile a mile across on reading that

I can't imagine what one big mistake they could make TBH :lol: what COULD that be? 8-)

FB is solid in my view and will make it another 10 years for sure

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Proper communication over the internet is done by email and instant messaging, not the little crappy chat feature on Facebook or the messages that everyone can see on these "walls". Sending private messages is rather pointless also when there is email.

I think many people left facebook when they changed the style and that was only a minor thing. It proves how sensitive people are on these websites. They can leave as soon as they come.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 pm

I think you need to keep numbers in perspective.
I don't know the numbers involved, but I wonder how many is " a lot"?

considering the total number of users of facebook etc. I would guess it would take a lot more than just " a lot" to make a difference to them.

robert

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Youtube has been getting some negative views recently as well. I know a few that have looked at alternatives to host their videos.

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 am

Facebook isn't going anywhere soon. No matter what Google releases, 400+ million users won't disappear overnight. Unless Google was able to find a killer app that improves over Facebook's product, I bet it will never reach Facebook's size.

People have been saying "The end of Facebook is near" since early on. First it was news feed; then the redesign; then privacy issues; then Dispora; then Quit Facebook Day. Each time was overhyped and nothing came of it.

Overall, I find the whole "down with Facebook!", "Facebook is evil", and "Facebook is selling your data" conspiracies incredibly amusing and stupid.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

The founder of Facebook stole the idea, so Facebook has unethical foundations. The thought of that makes me dislike it even more than the fact the website is rather poor.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Almost every good idea has been developed from another similar idea. That's a pretty flimsy excuse to hate something...
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “General Discussion”