The end of facebook coming?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
god0fgod

Re: The end of facebook coming?

Post by god0fgod » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm

kzone wrote:Facebook has reached the status where its downfall can only be caused by the company mismanagement or lack of interest by users. No competitors are close enough to be considered a threat at this time.

However, Going by tech history (or any other), no empire last forever. Going by the facts, MicroSoft in no longer the dominant top dog it was for the last 15 years or so. Anybody remember American Online? A company once valued at $ 220 billion

I guess....lets wait and see ;)
I never knew what AOL stood for. AOL isn't big anymore, simply because it's crap. Their AIM service is rubbish and everything else they have done which I've seem has been rubbish, like their web browser.

As technology grows, there are new gaps in the market all the time and that's why Facebook can't put their feet up and think they own social networking for the next million years.

oscarg

Post by oscarg » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:39 am

I hope you're joking! Facebook addict here, ya'll know? :lol:

Lusitano_Dokfilm

Post by Lusitano_Dokfilm » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:10 pm

oscarg wrote:I hope you're joking! Facebook addict here, ya'll know? :lol:
Same here.
It is the first Social network I really like and where I met so many people I haven't seen for years.

Jerlene.net

Post by Jerlene.net » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm

The end of facebook is not coming, especially with the facebook movie coming out next month. If anything, we're in the beginning stages of facebook.

jinkal
I've Been Banned!

Post by jinkal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:48 pm

My space is doing well face book may come down at any time. there are many changes made in myspace when compared to last years version. just there would be few more changes by this year end can check the new version by this end

Cedwinks

Post by Cedwinks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Jerlene.net wrote:The end of facebook is not coming, especially with the facebook movie coming out next month. If anything, we're in the beginning stages of facebook.
I agree ! Facebook never ending ! Maybe when another Community site come ??

John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 am

Facebook is the new AOL. It's not a matter of it being trendy any longer. There is a whole segment of people who log on to FB and never leave that "universe"... if they have a hobby or like a TV show, they just join a facebook page for it. ...and Facebook has something going for it that AOL never did, it's easily accessible no matter what ISP you have. ;-)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:30 pm

John T. Folden wrote:Facebook is the new AOL. It's not a matter of it being trendy any longer. There is a whole segment of people who log on to FB and never leave that "universe"... if they have a hobby or like a TV show, they just join a facebook page for it. ...and Facebook has something going for it that AOL never did, it's easily accessible no matter what ISP you have. ;-)
I agree... ;)

However, just like AOL and the many others, Facebook's reign will come to an end... Just not anytime in the immediate future ;)

noth

Post by noth » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:55 pm

yeah and I suppose FriendsReunited will come to an end too

hey and don't forget mobile phones, they will come to an end too

just a matter of time right?

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:35 pm

noth wrote:yeah and I suppose FriendsReunited will come to an end too

lol

I think you're taking it out of context :) I think everyone would agree that Facebook isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But as history has shown, all large tech/net companies have their moment before "we" move on to the next thing. The list includes AOL, Yahoo, MySpace, MSN, NetScape, IBM, and many others.

I'll be remiss if I didn't mention that Microsoft is looking over their shoulders with their OS as well ;)

John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 pm

keith10456 wrote:I think you're taking it out of context :) I think everyone would agree that Facebook isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But as history has shown, all large tech/net companies have their moment before "we" move on to the next thing. The list includes AOL, Yahoo, MySpace, MSN, NetScape, IBM, and many others.

I'll be remiss if I didn't mention that Microsoft is looking over their shoulders with their OS as well ;)
What you are talking about isn't confined to the tech industry. Mellow Yellow soda and bunt cakes were all the rage at one point, as well... :lol:

nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:14 am

Jerlene.net wrote:If anything, we're in the beginning stages of facebook.
We're in the beginning stages of social networking, which may not necessarily include Facebook going into the future.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 am

noth wrote:yeah and I suppose FriendsReunited will come to an end too

Well, for mobile phones, I wouldn't argue that they're completely out, but it seems like the days of SMSing are coming to an end. I mean, most teenagers now have internet on their phones, right? I see most people using Facebook for that.

I don't really think mobiles will come to an end... but I do think the internet platform will replace the traditional phone-calling and SMS services.

But I will say it again, Facebook isn't the same as mobiles, because mobiles are nearly like mini-computers - wouldn't that be like saying computers will become extinct eventually as well? I will say that Facebook won't last forever, but I reckon it will still be around for a while. It sort of reminds me of MSN messenger - of course people use MSN now, but not nearly as many as before.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 am

I don't facebook is going any time soon. It's even in my computers dictionary :)

Personally, I will never move to google. They scare me a LOT - they appear to have a monopoly in most markets.

~Callum

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Callum95 wrote:... Personally, I will never move to google. They scare me a LOT - they appear to have a monopoly in most markets.

~Callum
Though I really love what Google has done with Android, I've been concerned with them being "everywhere" for a few years now. If not already, Facebook will have just as much information on the public as Google.

Return to “General Discussion”