The end of facebook coming?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
TKSVG

Re: The end of facebook coming?

Post by TKSVG »

If google does take that route, im sure it will be well cool. I love google, everything about them is simple.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

god0fgod wrote:The founder of Facebook stole the idea, so Facebook has unethical foundations. The thought of that makes me dislike it even more than the fact the website is rather poor.
ric323 wrote:Almost every good idea has been developed from another similar idea. That's a pretty flimsy excuse to hate something...
Agreed. If Facebook stole the idea from someone, then so did phpBB and every bulletin board software after the first. Same goes for thousands of other products.

It's all about execution anyway. The idea of a social network is not a gigantic stretch from newsgroups that had already existed at the time. How the interface is implemented is what's important, and that has been reworked a number of times since then.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

This is different completely. The entire idea was stolen along with copyrighted code. Not just the fact social network websites have been done before.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -idea.html

"The suit alleges copyright infringement, stealing trade secrets, fraud and breach of contract."

It's an old article. I believe recently, the people who truly begun Facebook were given rights to some shares in Facebook.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

Allegedly stole. Not actually stole. And anyone can allege anything.

If you look into what Harvard Connect (the original name) was supposed to be, it was a dating and party site. Clubs would advertise special deals to viewers and meet eligible people.

Rather, with TheFacebook, Zuckerberg was focusing on a communication and connection tool, the type of which had never been imagined. Friendster was the closest thing at the time to TheFacebook, that almost all future social networks (until Facebook became dominant) based their network on.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
shlynn

Post by shlynn »

althought I am newbie to facebook, I am glad to use it.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I don't care if Facebook ends. never liked social networking
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

Facebook truthfully is not as "horrible" as many people perceive it to be. It is the user base of Facebook that gives it a notoriously bad name; however, I cannot find much within the actual functioning of the website that causes me to dislike it. In fact, the overall concept is quite interesting. I know that some may say that a website is only as good as its user base, and that may be true, but I tend to look at the finer points of such websites in hopes of developing an appreciation for what is really going on "behind the scenes" code-wise and such. I, personally, see no issue with Facebook's privacy settings, but I think that some people take it to the extreme and complain about the privacy settings no matter what Facebook does to fix them just for the sake of having a voice.

With regard to the "end" of Facebook, it is very hard to say. Who knows if the Internet will even exist in 10 years as we know it to exist today. There are too many variables in the equation to be able to come up with a clear and concise solution to the approximate "end of Facebook." So, as many developers like to say, it will come when it comes. ;)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Facebook is quite good at what it does. Having said that, it seems to me like something people could walk away from with no real regrets. You have a home page but not much sense of ownership, in my opinion. Everything we write on it seems flighty and temporary, like it will all flutter away in the wind.

If something better came along, people would just walk away as easily as they did from MySpace.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The important thing to keep a site like Facebook going is that a significant number of people you care about make posts regularly. (The definition of regularly varies.)

I don't care how many users Facebook has, or even how many of them log in every day/week/month. The only thing I care about is how many interesting posts I see on a given visit. Friends who don't post or who only log on to "Facebook stalk" are of no consequence to the company's survival(*). This is one thing that message boards share with sites like Facebook.

(*) Except that media buyers might be interested in users who log in to stalk, and media buyers at least provide revenue in the short-run.

Oh, and I almost forgot: some people care about lonely cows.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

Darth Wong wrote:Facebook is quite good at what it does. Having said that, it seems to me like something people could walk away from with no real regrets. You have a home page but not much sense of ownership, in my opinion. Everything we write on it seems flighty and temporary, like it will all flutter away in the wind.

If something better came along, people would just walk away as easily as they did from MySpace.
That's where Facebook could meet its downfall. The general public that uses these social networking websites tends to follow trends quite a bit, and if something were to come along that gained popularity quickly, it is likely that many long-time Facebook users would begin migrating to the new website. Facebook does seem to have more functionality than MySpace ever did, though. For example, Facebook has a large developer network that focuses on app development, something I don't think MySpace ever had (I never used MySpace, so I could be wrong on that) and it has more features than MySpace. Also, my eyes don't bleed when I try to read someone's profile page. Nevertheless, if something were to come along and transcend Facebook, it would have to be quite a large improvement to get the majority of Facebook users to leave everything behind and start anew again, even though some don't seem to care that much about leaving their content behind. Just creating a look-alike of Facebook and adding a "Dislike" button isn't going to cause a stampede to a new site. ;)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Shadow689

Post by Shadow689 »

In my opinion, facebook will last a long time from now on. It's way to big and strong.. ;)
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Facebook and few other social sites are doing something that was not done by myspace and predecessors before.

For example, modern phones comes with Facebook and Twitter clients pre installed.
Websites have Facebook connects where you can recommend something in your own profile and even log into websites using Facebook credentials. There is even a Facebook login for phpBB.

Facebook is not just one site. It reaches its tentacles out to other websites and devices.
This is new, and to kill it means other websites takes their connect links away and phone manufacturers stop endorsing it.
Signature is here
kzone

Post by kzone »

Facebook has reached the status where its downfall can only be caused by the company mismanagement or lack of interest by users. No competitors are close enough to be considered a threat at this time.

However, Going by tech history (or any other), no empire last forever. Going by the facts, MicroSoft in no longer the dominant top dog it was for the last 15 years or so. Anybody remember American Online? A company once valued at $ 220 billion

I guess....lets wait and see ;)
Gyiyg

Post by Gyiyg »

Facebook has been dead since it was opened up to non-college students :|

Social networking sites have been flavor of the week since the beginning of time 2.0. Facebook will fall like Myspace before it, something else (not necessarily better) just has yet to come along.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

kzone wrote:Facebook has reached the status where its downfall can only be caused by the company mismanagement or lack of interest by users. No competitors are close enough to be considered a threat at this time.

However, Going by tech history (or any other), no empire last forever. Going by the facts, MicroSoft in no longer the dominant top dog it was for the last 15 years or so. Anybody remember American Online? A company once valued at $ 220 billion

I guess....lets wait and see ;)
I agree with you to a large extent.

I disagree with the statement that Facebook will be around in 10 years... The site may be around but it's highly doubtful that it will be the "Facebook" that it is today.

A number of factors can come into play. As mentioned, a lot of its users are "trend" members. Also, a vast majority of its heaviest users are the result of Zenga games. And if the previously posted article is correct about Zenga games being pulled, that would have a big effect on its members.

Until the next big thing come around - whatever that may be (a new site, mistake by Facebook, etc) - I don't see Facebook's growth going south anytime soon.

Here's an interesting article in published by the NY Times:

"Researcher Releases Facebook Profile Data" http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/2 ... ed-online/
Last edited by keith10456 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”