The end of facebook coming?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
keith10456

Re: The end of facebook coming?

Post by keith10456 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:21 pm

PilotRight wrote:Tumblr will be most powerful and influential in the resolution
You're joking right?!

Tumblr is good... I use it. In fact, I think it's better than Twitter. However, I don't see it out-lasting FB or Twitter. In fact, there's a big chance that Tumblr will be purchased by one of the said companies.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 am

erikgault wrote:What about Google+ ? It is being said to be a facebook killer.
Google+ has been brought up multiple times in this topic and its projected future impact on Facebook has been discussed in detail throughout the topic.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

XTCRadioUK
Name: John Jenkins

Post by XTCRadioUK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I have been on Facebook for a long time now and I feel with Google+ Facebook will have a challenge on there hands. I must say that Google brings out products that always work so well!! They always make huge profits from them...They must be doing something right :shock:

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:49 pm

XTCRadioUK wrote:I must say that Google brings out products that always work so well!!
This is like their forth social network

cincen

Post by cincen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Facebook will stay ... for bad ...

Jessican

Post by Jessican » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:08 pm

yes. facebook will stay. to many users both private and commercial.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Jessican wrote:to many users both private and commercial.
In my opinion, nothing is too big to fail...

When anything gets too big, it can get slow and monolithic. Too resistant to change. Something new and fresh can come along and the fickle public would switch. The most relevant example is probably myspace.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Maybe the end of FB won't be the result of Google, Twitter, or any of the other reasons listed in this topic. Maybe it will be Anonymous :idea:

/a3

Post by /a3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am

keith10456 wrote:Maybe the end of FB won't be the result of Google, Twitter, or any of the other reasons listed in this topic. Maybe it will be Anonymous :idea:
If Anonymous think they can take down Facebook, they should really think again. Anonymous couldn’t take down Amazon. Even if they’re organised about it, nothing they do could keep it down permanently. (maybe for a few days at most?)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't think Anonymous is claiming they're going to end FB (and neither was I). I believe their point is to bring to light the negative things that FB is doing with our private information.

aaronrockies

Post by aaronrockies » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Lol this isn't a problem? Why are you trying to avoid this change? Everyone has been waiting for this!

This means you can design a simple HTML page and iframe it on your page. Way easier than FBML. No cover images for videos. Pretty much a website on your Fan Page.

This is going to get crazy exploited though.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am

aaronrockies wrote:Lol this isn't a problem? Why are you trying to avoid this change? Everyone has been waiting for this!

This means you can design a simple HTML page and iframe it on your page. Way easier than FBML. No cover images for videos. Pretty much a website on your Fan Page.

This is going to get crazy exploited though.
You what?

divunderground

Post by divunderground » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:34 pm

I think it will be a very slow process, but it will of course eventually tumble. If anyone can take down Facebook, it's Google!

user00

Post by user00 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Google is one factor causing FB decline, but not the only. Teenagers are switching to Twitter, second factor. Third, FB is facing raising legal problems in the US and Europe. The companies are discovering that advertising campaigns on FB don't pay back. You could stay there to watch and monitor brand prestige and update events, but keeping a profile and maintaining relations is free, it doesn't generate incomes and if you start charging for being on FB maybe the users leave you. Finally, they have planned to go public, if the incomes decline, the stock price will decline and the financial sector won’t support them any longer. Does it sound familiar? Doesn't it look like the .com bubble?

noth

Post by noth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm

I don't see an FB decline at all but I do see the "complaints" about FB data as very interesting entertaining even!
Max Schrems, 24, decided to ask Facebook for a copy of his data in June after attending a lecture by a Facebook executive while on an exchange programme at Santa Clara University in California.

Schrems was shocked when he eventually received a CD from California containing messages and information he says he had deleted from his profile in the three years since he joined the site.
he was shocked? is that really true? shocked was he? :oops:
After receiving the data, Schrems decided to log a list of 22 separate complaints with the Irish data protection commissioner, which next week is to carry out its first audit of Facebook. He wrote to Ireland after discovering that European users are administered by the Irish Facebook subsidiary. A spokeswoman for the commissioner confirmed its officers would be investigating alleged breaches raised by Schrems as part of the audit. If the commissioner decides to prosecute and Facebook or any employees are found guilty of data protection breaches, the maximum penalty is a fine of €100,000.

Among the 1,200 pages of data Schrems was sent were rejected friend requests, incidences where he "defriended" someone, as well as a log of all Facebook chats he had ever had. There was also a list of photos he had detagged of himself, the names of everyone he had ever "poked", which events he had attended, which he hadn't replied to, and much more besides.
ooo I bet he got more and more "shocked" - all these revelations are truly shocking to me, wait a minute I'll have to go and have a lie down :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”