Getting Visitors to my forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
TKSVG

Getting Visitors to my forum?

Post by TKSVG »

Hi All

Can anyone point me in the general direction of how to get more visitors, I have been live for about 2 weeks and have 14 people which I had to trawl the internet posting everywhere. Any ideas?. Im in the travel market - http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule6a
Last edited by lurttinen on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tut tut, spam... :)

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Getting Visitors to my forum?

Post by tbackoff »

Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

TKSVG

Post by TKSVG »

I take that means there is no answer as that post goes on about sexual favours and other stupid things to get people to your forum.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

There's a few jokes here and there, but I'd hardly call it "going on about". There is lots of useful advice in there too.
Of course there's is no simple answer, as everyone would do it. To run a succesful board requires many techniques.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Have a look through all 22 pages.

There are no set rules to follow to get members. It's a lot of hard work. You need to generate some posts to get people interested. They won't join a board with 20 posts on it. You need to make it easy for people to find what they are looking for. If you can attract 1 person every couple of days you're doing well. Once it gets to 50 or so people you'll find you can back off a little in your own input as it will become self sustaining but getting there is hard.

One tactic you can use is to make 2 or 3 accounts yourself and post a few times in one then swap to another and reply to the topics etc. That makes it look like there are people discussing things and it encourages others to join in.

All of this stuff is in that topic though.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

TKSVG

Post by TKSVG »

Guys you are absolutely right, I jumped on to quickly with my answer. I am now reading it back to front (newest posts first) and there is some useful info. JEEEEZZZZ - It does seem like serious good old fashioned hard work.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

TKSVG wrote:It does seem like serious good old fashioned hard work.
Yep I'm afraid it is.

Think about it this way, if you stumbled across your own board, would you join it? What makes you not join a board? Is it because it's empty with no posts and no people (or hardly any of each)? People join because it looks active, is busy and has a lot of topics to join in the discussion with. So, you need to generate that before you can really start to flourish.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Gyiyg

Post by Gyiyg »

Gotta get that viral marketing bro.

jkelly103144

Post by jkelly103144 »

One of the things I did was to go out to other political forums, and I looked for people I thought would make good members at my forum. I would privately invite them over. I eventually added my web site, which is my forum, to my signature, and keep recruiting until I had several hundred members. I currently have over 1600, and it is quite successful.

Romson
Name: Romero Lijkwan

Post by Romson »

If you apply what Kevin Clark said you will have more visitors and subscribers. If your posts are highly relevant to what your visitors are looking for, chances are they will wanna ask more about that. And if your posts are unique you might even get high in the search engines thus getting more visitors.
Last edited by Romson on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

If you start a mailing list, you can email your list new topics in your forum to get them active in it.

Just have a mailing list sign up box, like I do here in the top right corner of my home page:

http://www.happierabroad.com

You can also utilize paid forum posts. Google "paid forum posts" for a list of companies that do that.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You need to get the people to your forum first, before they can sign up for your mailing list.
And the question was not how to get people to post in the topics. The question was how to get people to the forum in the first place. Neither your mailing list, nor your paid topics will do any good if people are not going to your forum in the first place.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Brf wrote:You need to get the people to your forum first, before they can sign up for your mailing list.
And the question was not how to get people to post in the topics. The question was how to get people to the forum in the first place. Neither your mailing list, nor your paid topics will do any good if people are not going to your forum in the first place.
I was referring to a mailing list sign up box on the home page. People who find it will sign up if they're interested. Then you send them a weekly "Latest hot topics in the forum" email with links in it. A lot of forum owners do that.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

WWu777 wrote: People who find it will sign up if they're interested.
Yes. But they have to find it first. The question was how to bring them to your site in the first place.

lastnico
Name: Nicolas Ternisien

Post by lastnico »

Only one real and sustainable good way: SEO, aka Search Engine Optimization.

Simply enable friendly URLs, and discuss about quality topics, to be sure that if someone search for what you are discussing, he/she will find you via Google.

Return to “General Discussion”