Getting Visitors to my forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Getting Visitors to my forum?

Post by ric323 »

lastnico wrote:...
Simply enable friendly URLs ......
These are vastly over-rated. If you have quality content, they make virtually no difference.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

lastnico
Name: Nicolas Ternisien

Post by lastnico »

ric323 wrote:
lastnico wrote:...
Simply enable friendly URLs ......
These are vastly over-rated. If you have quality content, they make virtually no difference.
Well, for a popular website, like phpBB's forum, of course, this is useless, because you already have the traffic that will help your site being spread, and more and more known.

But for little websites, you will need the hand of Google (to not quote it ;-) to let users find out your nice article or forum. And that's why friendly URLs and general SEO technics are so much useful.
Last edited by lastnico on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastnico

Post by lastnico »

And, as a note aside, even if phpBB official forum does not need friendly URLs to be more popular, I think it would at least increase URLs readability and general comfort.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

lastnico wrote:But for little websites, you will need the hand of Google (to not quote it ;-) to let users find out your nice article or forum. And that's why friendly URLs and general SEO technics are so much useful.
No you don't.
There are many topics on this if you look around but this blog article is useful too
http://blog.phpbb.com/tag/seo/
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

lastnico

Post by lastnico »

Kevin Clark wrote:
lastnico wrote:But for little websites, you will need the hand of Google (to not quote it ;-) to let users find out your nice article or forum. And that's why friendly URLs and general SEO technics are so much useful.
No you don't.
There are many topics on this if you look around but this blog article is useful too
http://blog.phpbb.com/tag/seo/
According to http://www.seomoz.org/knowledge/url it's not only a way to be referenced in search engines, but also to convince the user that the content behing the URL is also relevant.

See also http://www.seomoz.org/knowledge/title-tag

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If the URLs were no good as they are for google, we wouldn't use them. You do not need 'SEO friendly' URLs to get indexed 'better'.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Jerlene.net

Post by Jerlene.net »

Twitter, Facebook and Yahoo Answers. They're all quick ways to get traffic but it works.

fanta001

Post by fanta001 »

I am little scary about SEO friendly topic beacuse my site is already indexed. Should I turn ON SEO friendly ?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

fanta001 wrote:I am little scary about SEO friendly topic beacuse my site is already indexed. Should I turn ON SEO friendly ?
You've pretty much answered your own question.

Without any additional 'SEO friendly' alterations, your site has already been indexed. So that means it's already working just fine.
Cheap UK Hosting

Ashs
I've Been Banned!

Post by Ashs »

ust advertise, You can't leave it on it's own to advertise :d.

fanta001

Post by fanta001 »

Kevin Clark wrote: You've pretty much answered your own question.
Without any additional 'SEO friendly' alterations, your site has already been indexed. So that means it's already working just fine.
Yes it is indexed but not all. About 30% of pages and it is getting slow and slower since some time.
Anyway i won't enable seo friendly i will wait to index.
tnx

felguard

Post by felguard »

SEO, back links, directories, putting your link in your signature in forums you usually go to, banner/link exchange, etc.

Welsh-80

Post by Welsh-80 »

Its not just about getting them to visit, you want them to stay!

The secret to an active forum is simple.....An interesting subject matter ;)

a site can have all the information in the world but unless atmosphere, debate and chat is interesting they will simply skim their required info and off they go!

a good forum subject is one that people ask questions of, a very deep and varied subject will create a very deep and varied forum experience, a subject that is always changing and evolving will really help too

also from my experience the atmosphere is very important, if you have too many rules or are trying to force a code of conduct on people it creates a negativity that ends in negative posting and attitudes towards the staff who are forced to uphold the rules

I run a carp fishing forum which is a massive subject and one which is constantly evolving with new tactics and techniques as well as the massive industry and media side of things which really promotes thought and discussion. people always like to brag and show off and in fishing forums this is a massive plus

oops im ranting on here LOL

also one little point....Facebook is your friend for advertising ;)

jyco

Post by jyco »

Good content :o

All the best

Return to “General Discussion”