Other sites are stealing my legal mp3's

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dmbthestoned

Other sites are stealing my legal mp3's

Post by dmbthestoned »

Cliffs:
run a forum that offers streaming mp3's
have all mp3's uploaded via ftp to my site
they are located in a public directory (allthough we don't release that info to our users/public)
somehow they are being used by sites in other countries

It appears most of the sites are chinese. is there a way i can ban china in general lol or what else could I do? I moved them into a different directory and they havent been accessed since. the problem is, all the "coding" we have done is for that specific directory, so if i keep them in the new directory we'd have to redo 600+ plus shows!

I'm pretty new to running a website...any ideas on what i should do?
Mateya

Re: Other sites are stealing my legal mp3's

Post by Mateya »

I am not sure, there exsist such thing as banning users from China. =S
What do you mean by "stealing"? Do they download your mp3 files or do they just "steal" your codes or sth.?
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

You could pretty easily setup some basic authentication with Apache and give your users a username/password they have to enter.

If you leave it completely open to the public you shouldn't be surprised that people can find and download them, blacklisting ip addresses will not solve the problem.
dmbthestoned

Post by dmbthestoned »

Mateya wrote:I am not sure, there exsist such thing as banning users from China. =S
What do you mean by "stealing"? Do they download your mp3 files or do they just "steal" your codes or sth.?
They are downloading our mp3's. has eaten up a bunch of our bandwidth.
dmbthestoned

Post by dmbthestoned »

EXreaction wrote:You could pretty easily setup some basic authentication with Apache and give your users a username/password they have to enter.

If you leave it completely open to the public you shouldn't be surprised that people can find and download them, blacklisting ip addresses will not solve the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely check it out. Also we always knew there was a chance people would be able to find our files, just trying to find a solution.
stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller »

Everything you make available online can be stolen and there is not much you can do about it.
If they want it they will take it.
You could make some protection as suggested and you can close the forums for public.
But it only takes one rotten user to download the files and make them available on other websites.
jinkal
I've Been Banned!

Post by jinkal »

setup a authetication, for all the content and use it always witha username and password they no one can copy the content
cleftangel

Post by cleftangel »

This may have been posted a while ago but I do not see a resolution posted.

It is very simple to stop ANY other site other than yours from getting your stuff. Basically just setup a hotlink protectio nin your .htaccess file

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?mysite\.com/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png)$ http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/237/hotlinkp.gif [L]
Replace "mysite" with yours so if you are www.somedomain.com put "somedomain" in

Hope that helps. If they try hotlinking it they will get a picture in place of it ;)
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Post by martin123456 »

cleftangel wrote:This may have been posted a while ago but I do not see a resolution posted.

It is very simple to stop ANY other site other than yours from getting your stuff. Basically just setup a hotlink protectio nin your .htaccess file

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?mysite\.com/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png)$ http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/237/hotlinkp.gif [L]
Replace "mysite" with yours so if you are http://www.somedomain.com put "somedomain" in

Hope that helps. If they try hotlinking it they will get a picture in place of it ;)

Has any one tested this ? any results.

Return to “General Discussion”