Facebook is using PunBB?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Facebook is using PunBB?

Post by jaunty_mellifluous » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:28 am

I just found out that facebook was using PunBB as a support forum for their developers community. Isn't it funny they would use that because PunBB isn't even considered anything among the top on going forum software.

I can't think of any good reasons why they choose PunBB, maybe they know the developer personally.

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Re: Facebook is using PunBB?

Post by lurttinen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:56 am

It suited their needs and they were happy with it?
Signature is here

Peetra

Post by Peetra » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:13 pm

I think it looks like facebook by itself, just change the shade of blue. :P
I am so hooked on bubbles, that I made a Bubble Witch Saga WP-site! Most addictive game since Tetris!

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:54 am

Peetra wrote:I think it looks like facebook by itself, just change the shade of blue. :P
And that could be one of the primary reasons why they use it (or maybe they found it easy to use or integrate).
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

jinkal
I've Been Banned!

Post by jinkal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

it looks like face book i think, there wont be much difference

jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Could be. I think they were looking for a very simply solution. They haven't even integrated users database or anything. Juts an online help forum more or less. :)

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:23 am

lurttinen wrote:It suited their needs and they were happy with it?
Maybe they would have been happier with phpBB ? I'm just saying.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:26 am

I really doubt that a large site like facebook took the first BB solution they encountered. I'm pretty sure they've looked at the possibilities and took the one that was right for their site.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 am

What is more surprising is why didn't they dogfood the forum (Discussion) feature integrated into Facebook Groups?

jinkal
I've Been Banned!

Post by jinkal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm

PunBB works very well, face book is using it because it helps a lot in such social networking sites. there are many other related things which helps in using that

Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

Post by Ashley.G. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:46 am

It never has mattered to me what software any forum runs. Doesn't matter if it's a support forum or general chat or any genera. What matters is the community involvement and how members and staff alike are getting along with one another. To me, what kind of software any forum uses is not an issue. Never has been for me. Heck, I'm still a member of a forum that uses the last ever release of PHPBB2, and does that bother me? No, not really. Of course, being used to the luxury of all the things PHPBB3 has kind of does tick me off a little, but it's easy to adjust, though.

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Ashley.G. wrote:It never has mattered to me what software any forum runs. Doesn't matter if it's a support forum or general chat or any genera. What matters is the community involvement and how members and staff alike are getting along with one another. To me, what kind of software any forum uses is not an issue. Never has been for me. Heck, I'm still a member of a forum that uses the last ever release of PHPBB2, and does that bother me? No, not really. Of course, being used to the luxury of all the things PHPBB3 has kind of does tick me off a little, but it's easy to adjust, though.
Well it matters for the admin ! using any random software to your forum is a stupid action.

Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

Post by Ashley.G. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:31 am

wadie wrote:
Ashley.G. wrote:It never has mattered to me what software any forum runs. Doesn't matter if it's a support forum or general chat or any genera. What matters is the community involvement and how members and staff alike are getting along with one another. To me, what kind of software any forum uses is not an issue. Never has been for me. Heck, I'm still a member of a forum that uses the last ever release of PHPBB2, and does that bother me? No, not really. Of course, being used to the luxury of all the things PHPBB3 has kind of does tick me off a little, but it's easy to adjust, though.
Well it matters for the admin ! using any random software to your forum is a stupid action.
Yes, I understand it matters for the administration, because at the same time you have to use whatever forum software you feel comfortable working with, that much I know.

Peetra

Post by Peetra » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 pm

I still think it was just the first board softa that LOOKED right unmodified. FB-devs are probably not getting paid that much. :/
I am so hooked on bubbles, that I made a Bubble Witch Saga WP-site! Most addictive game since Tetris!

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 am

Peetra wrote:FB-devs are probably not getting paid that much. :/
I honestly don't think that this is the case, seeing that google gives all its employees a 10% raise to try to prevent them from moving to other companies (including facebook) ;)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Return to “General Discussion”