Member wishes for all his posts deleting ?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Humboldt
Name: Brian Humboldt

Re: Member wishes for all his posts deleting ?

Post by Humboldt »

Too* Didn't* Don't* Duel* That's* Meant* Snotty* Comment* Meant* Explanation* Didn't* Morally* wouldn't* writing* wasn't* don't* anyone's*
I'm not sure but when trying to make a point it is often best to have proper spelling and even grammar. I find it difficult to take someone seriously when there are constantly spelling errors in their posts.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Let's leave it at this. The subject under discussion is far too complex to be analyzed by people without a law degree and probably advanced study in intellectual property law, and international law.

But I defend to the death the right of everyone to waste their time discussing an unknown set of facts under an unknown body of law in an attempt to come to a correct resolution.

Hint: Before analyzing liability for failure to remove the posts, first consider what damages (in money) there would be to the plaintiff from that failure. I think none. Also, in light of that fact, consider what lawyer will undertake representation except at an hourly rate with a significant retainer and whether it will appear worth that cost to plaintiff. Analysis done.

Moral - Before embarking on a convoluted plan to steal the cookie jar, make sure there are cookies in it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

oleg-karow wrote:On the other side If the site where your posts are is a PHPBB2 site its VERY easy to delete ALL your own posts with a simple trick . I am not sure if that trick still works with PHPBB3 .
It doesn't.

I also want to mention that someone I know who also wanted to have his posts deleted - and the board declined - simply edited all his posts on his own. Of course, that's not the same and a bit of work, but this effectively destroys any context the same way.
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

Humboldt wrote:
Too* Didn't* Don't* Duel* That's* Meant* Snotty* Comment* Meant* Explanation* Didn't* Morally* wouldn't* writing* wasn't* don't* anyone's*
I'm not sure but when trying to make a point it is often best to have proper spelling and even grammar. I find it difficult to take someone seriously when there are constantly spelling errors in their posts.
I think when we are viewing posts by folks that may not be using a language that is their native language we might want to be a bit on the forgiving side and consider that as long as we understand what their point is that they've done a fine job using the language that is required here.

Personally, I feel kind of lucky that the language that's being used here is one that I can handle reasonably well.

Now, if this were a board for teachers and if the native language of all the teachers were English, then have at it with strong criticism of poor language usage.

Yep, there's a whole bunch of folks around this planet that don't use English everyday. Bunches of them.

EDIT: How shameful of me. I also forgot to note that there are folks that have trouble writing properly for various medical reasons. I shouldn't have had to return to add this. I see it a fair bit of the time on the Vet's site. Some of those folks are lucky to be able to use the Internet. Some of those folks have made great sacrifice to allow others to freely use the Interent. Shameful that I didn't think of them right away.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

As the original poster has had the explenation he needed and mr maury has confirmed what i said and the subject of the original post has been taken off topic twice i hope that no one minds if i aska few questions ? Maybe if anyone dosent like this they can split the topic please ?

Thanks to you both for the gramar leson but now there are a few things that i dont understand could you please exsplain to me ?

Is it corect grammar to put little stars between words , why are there no komas in between the words , why no fulstop at the end of the sentance , why the words interent , vets and englisch have capitals as there first letters ? And is english gramar the same as US grammar and german gramar and other countrys gramer ?

Thanks in advance .

PS - "I also forgot to note that there are folks that have trouble writing properly for various medical reasons."
I dont now if i should take a fence at this .
noth

Post by noth »

This subject is very important

if you run a board with any kind of decent traffic, sooner or later you will run into this exact request/demand and it's usually DO IT NOW

some people on here have lent their opinions without any legal qualifications to back it up, no matter - it brings a degree of expansion to the discussion, food for thought if you like

and to bring it all into perspective we have the succint summary from stevemaury

this really is a great thread, THREAD OF THE MONTH in my book :D excellent posts, thanks to all contributors
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Post by Paul Arden »

I just noticed this discussion - I think it's a problem that we all experience at some point. The first time it occurred I had a poster delete all of his posts as far back as he could edit - it was set for something like 24hrs. My problem then was that, when tried to understand what happened, I had only one side of the argument to read. After that I changed post editing time to only 5 minutes or so.

A number of times now I've been asked to delete a user's account. My way of dealing with this is simple, I say that I can delete their account but the posts remain (I say that this is the forum software keeping the integrity of the database, when of course it's really about keeping the integrity of the discussions), I then change his (it's always a his!) username to something like "unregistered", change his email address and password. That way he disappears but all his posts remain. I think I have two "deleted" members on my current Board, one is "unregistered" and one is "guest" - or something along those lines.

So far this has not been a problem 8-)

Return to “General Discussion”