What is your favorite web development software?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Sortiarius

What is your favorite web development software?

Post by Sortiarius »

I have been spending a lot of time on the support forum lately. It's been a great source of information for me to learn phpbb. I like to review the problems and ask myself where would I look or how would I try to fix it.

Anyways, I have been looking for a nice web development package that doesn't take a degree to figure out.

I have heard all about Dreamweaver, but standing in Staples and staring at the 399.99 price make me come to the conclusion of .... ummmm ... no!

I bought Web Easy Professional 8 but I don't care for it, so there is $50 wasted. So since I was on the board I thought I would ask you all ....

Just wanted to add that I an not doing professional web development. I have taken a few programming classes in college, and learned some fortran, cobal, and basic. Been through some ladder logic and Siemens PLC programming classes, but overall my programming skills are limited.

I think I would prefer a WYSWYG type software to get started with as I can't say I want to learn from the ground up.

So with that said .....

What is your favorite Windows based software for creating your own web sites? Why do you like it and how easy is it to learn/use?

Sorti
Last edited by Sortiarius on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Re: What is your favorite web development software?

Post by MichaelC »

I personally use Notepad++, however its only a text editor and doesn't have a WYSIWYG bit.

But if you want to make something your best bet is to use something like Notepad++ with a browser and learn the language. You get alot more freedom to what you can do that way.
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

I agree, I learned on and still use Notepad++, it is 100% free and open source, and the experience gained from building things from scratch will really help you become a better programmer or web designer.
matthewf

Post by matthewf »

not posted here for a long time, saw this question and thought I would answer it, I use a generator type program called ezgenerator, its an all around piece of software, and there is a V4, but that will require a subscription charge per year, which I don't agree with and may do the company (imageline) more harm then good, but the software, both versions are very good and while there is a learning curve to a point, its really pretty simple to pickup, if you aren't interested in writing your website from scratch, then I highly suggest this,

http://www.ezgenerator.com/

give it a go, the demo will switch the letters A and E around, but you can convert the project into the full version to restore the letters, while it can't do everything, it does have a general mix of scripts, and one more thing, support is great, if not top notch, even though there are only two devs supporting the program, but I and a few others help out in the forum, it costs $129 for V3, and 4, (upgrade to 4 is free, but it will be subscription based with no idea on how much that will be) and personally I don't like, but V3 will be supported for some time to come, seen some very good websites made by this program, plus with its support, its top notch,

haven't really found anything as good in the generator department, but if you want to learn how to code, then look at something that will help you, two editors come to made, one is notetab http://www.notetab.com/ (there is a free version) and another very good one is pspad, http://www.pspad.com/ that second one got recommended by a programmer, he been using it for years, and is very good

your choice :D :D
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

I think recommending notepad++ to a user who isn't interested in professional development, and is citing basic website generators, is rather counter-productive for the topic. It's very much like when I see basic users asking for input on what brand of PC to buy for home use, only to have elitists recommending that they build it themselves. (I've been, admitedly, guilty of that as well) Although the author of this topic didn't specify what sort of knowledge they have in terms of programming, graphic design, or web development in general, we shouldn't assume they have an interest in learning to code by hand. Not everyone has the motivation or time to do that, which is why web development software exists for users who want to work on the visual presentation without having to worry about the underlying code. A simple search for what software the author has experience with might give an idea of what sort of product they were hoping for, but weren't satisfied with. A product that's far from Notepad++.

And although my own experience with web design software is limited to front page almost 5 years ago (which is just awful, btw), I've heard good things about CoffeeCup software from people starting out. I'd certainly look into their products.
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Another Notepad++ fan here.

As many others would have, I learnt with W3Schools around 5 years ago. :)
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

/a3 wrote:Another Notepad++ fan here.

As many others would have, I learnt with W3Schools around 5 years ago. :)
I learnt from W3 schools too. I highly recommend it.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

I've always used Komodo Edit (free version of the IDE), but as I don't like the latest version of that I've switched over to Netbeans with the php plugin. Just can't beat an IDE when working on complex pieces of software ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Sortiarius

Post by Sortiarius »

Thanks for the input guys!

I edited my first post based on these inputs and the fine writeup by Daniel Exe. I appreciate that.

I have Notepad++ and just started learning it. I also have been going thru all of the http://www.w3schools.com/. They have helped tremendously.

Komodo and Coffee Cup both look interesting.

Not jumping into anything yet, gonna see what the rest of the guys (and gals :oops: ) have to say.

Sorti
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Judging by your background then, taking up a bit of HTML and CSS shouldn't be a problem at all considering they aren't even programming languages. A bigger concern should be how much time you'd like to spend on the graphical side of things. Rather than rely on website generators for that, however, I'd take a look at free CSS templates and build off those as learning resources. Take a look at GIMP as a solid graphic design program for designing the graphics for the layouts, too.
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Post by _Vinny_ »

This article may help you: Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB

----------------
My software:
- Text editor: Notepad++
- Browser's: Firefox and Google Chrome
- Graphic design: Fireworks CS3 and Photoshop CS4
Sortiarius

Post by Sortiarius »

From what I have heard, Dreamweaver wreaks havok with phpbb. But I think we are talking apples and oranges between phpbb and web developing.

I think I am ok for phpbb, I have Notepad++, Filezilla, cPanel with file manager, mysql, phpmyadmin, and other things.

For images I have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 and a slew of other programs.

For web design, I have Web Easy Pro 8 which I don't care for. Still looking for something better to replace it with.

Other than that, I just need brains and time, something I seem to be very short on!

Sorti
Sortiarius

Post by Sortiarius »

Well I decided to give MS Expression Studio Web Professional a try. It looks like a decent package, not a homebrew package, and more than half the price of Dreamweaver.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/pro ... rview.aspx

I have a huge learning curve ahead of me but I think I will enjoy it.

Thanks for all the inputs and Wish me luck!

Sorti
durangod
Name: Dave

Post by durangod »

i used to use notepad and still do but i like the programmers notepad 2 because it shows me line numbers and for other reasons.. But as far as a site builder i dont use them i write all my code from scratch or by starting with a similar php or html that i already own... i just hate sitebuilders with a passion, they may offer some benefits but in my opinion they restrict you, they take you away from the pulse of the product... what i mean is that when i write code i am that code, i live it and i breethe it, i know what it does and how it does it and why, with every command and every db update.. i feel sitebuilders take you away from being that intimate with your output... i just do it by hand and it may take me longer but i know its quality and i know whats up...

one of the things i am very proud of (and i wont mention a name because i dont want this seen as spam) is that i have a version control system... and im very proud of it, alot of work to do it but its paying off... what it does is allow me to notate the things i need to do as tasks to the project im working on.. it allows me to make notes of changes and also to track history and see difference in files as i go.. i make all my notes on there then i can track the completion and progress of them... and the changes are live....
this helps me alot to manage the things that i do...
Truemedia

Post by Truemedia »

Just like everyone else notepad++, w3schools, filezilla, and phpmyadmin have just been what I started from, and have always been the best for what I need, definetly great programs ;).

I did want something for designing like dreamweaver but put off cause of the same reasons u mentioned. Aptana seemed too much of a learning curve and slow/buggy like eclipse, bluefish was promising but crashed so easily and seemed full of bugs, an actual CMS has seemed like a better option than these even though thats a really bad contradiction.

Still waiting for a decent open source solution on that, maybe an extension for notepad++ or something. Til then just checking the design in the browser as you go along is fine, although time consuming.

Return to “General Discussion”