Mac App Store

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
/a3

Mac App Store

Post by /a3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:16 am

Although I don't use Macintosh myself, I found this story quite interesting:

App Store II: Steve Jobs sucks Mac's soul (The Register)
[...] there will be two types of apps available for the company's flagship — but aging — Apple Macintosh platform: simple consumer-level apps that the vast majority of users will purchase through the online store revealed by Steve Jobs last month, and professional apps sold in traditional ways — for now, at least.
At first I thought it was some type of joke, but apparently Macintosh is looking to become like Apple's touch devices - completely locked in, in terms of both hardware and software.

So Steve Jobs wants the Mac to follow the iPod/iPhone/iPad's success? Maybe it's just me, but most people would want more from a computer than a touch device.

Thoughts?

Lastof

Re: Mac App Store

Post by Lastof » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 am

They aren't proposing to make it the only way to get Applications (yet), just offering it as another method. Kinda like an Apple run version of Steam.

So long as they don't start making it so that you can't install apps manually, I don't see how it can be anything but a good thing to give people more options of how they want to install applications. For more basic users a single place that handles buying, installing and updating their applications sounds like a good idea.

To be honest, I find the scare-mongering that "OMG, APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE IT SO WE CAN ONLY INSTALL APPS THEY APPROVE ON OUR COMPUTERS TOO" disgusting, since there is currently no evidence they plan to make such a foolish move.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:55 am

Lastof wrote:To be honest, I find the scare-mongering that "OMG, APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE IT SO WE CAN ONLY INSTALL APPS THEY APPROVE ON OUR COMPUTERS TOO" disgusting, since there is currently no evidence they plan to make such a foolish move.
Of course not. That would be a PR disaster, at least at this point. However, there's a few things to keep in mind:

1) Mac developers will flock to putting their applications on the store
2) Apple will very likely be putting similar restrictions on the Mac App Store that they do on the current App Store, dealing possibly with application quality and content.
3) A majority of Mac users, in the future, will likely use the app store as their primary means of finding applications due to ease of use.
4) As such, Apple will have "control" over the quality and content of the majority of applications that get installed on user's computers at some point in the future.

In this chain, there's really only one problem, and that's #2. If Apple places zero restrictions on the Mac App Store, then there's no issue at all. However, this is Apple we're talking about here.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

/a3

Post by /a3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 am

Lastof wrote:To be honest, I find the scare-mongering that "OMG, APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE IT SO WE CAN ONLY INSTALL APPS THEY APPROVE ON OUR COMPUTERS TOO" disgusting, since there is currently no evidence they plan to make such a foolish move.
No evidence, but especially considering that Apple already has the closed app store for other products such as the iPad etc. you can hardly deny that they wouldn't consider following this for the Mac.

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:56 am

For developers, there will be some competition between having your own site for distribution and putting it on the Appstore. For me, that's probably not going to work because of the 30% 'apple tax'. and the huge censorship list they plan to implement, and the fact that i'm not an objective c dev. plus, you lose all control over your app once you head down that road.

For power users, since OS X is a Unix derivate. you can just open a commandline and compile anything that is opensource ready. so for power users, nothing will change. just get your stuff on the web.

For endusers, it's "great", since they just have to click "install".

So i guess it depends on who you are.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 am

/a3 wrote:
No evidence, but especially considering that Apple already has the closed app store for other products such as the iPad etc. you can hardly deny that they wouldn't consider following this for the Mac.
I honestly don't expect that, but if they did I don't exactly see that as a bad thing. There is to much crap software available that does more harm than good by going through an App Store kinda a system you get some additional validation.
Sajaki wrote:For power users, since OS X is a Unix derivate. you can just open a commandline and compile anything that is opensource ready. so for power users, nothing will change. just get your stuff on the web.
Which is the main reason I don't see that happen on OS X, Apple will also know that its a matter of time before devs that really don't want to be in the App store include scripts that can be used by even the biggest non-tech user.
If they would ever include such thing on their Desktops they'll probably have to build an OS from scratch and make it from the basis impossible to do such thing (and even than it can be jail-breaked see iOS ;)).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

I dont car if the applications I want are offered online as well as on the store.

I can't be bothered with the store, I just want to download applications and install or run them the usual way.

I might look at it but most likely not.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:27 am

They're never going to lock it, that would be a disaster.

They've said it's also going to be more relaxed than the iOS app store.

I think it's a great idea :)

~Callum

Return to “General Discussion”