Time Travel

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Re: Time Travel

Post by Darth Wong »

jyco wrote:You know what? If someone out there is not alreadly trying someone will in the future, There is loads of things that was thought to be impossible say 50 years ago that is reality today, It's the nature of humans that get curious, The 'What If?' and sometimes just to see 'If' it can be done, Some day, Time travel will be possible, It's only a matter of time...
Does it ever occur to you that some things might simply be impossible? You're basically saying that everything is possible, and that if we can't do it yet, it's because we just haven't figured it out yet. That's a pretty broad assumption, and there's no logical reason to jump to it.

People love to point to the huge strides made by science through the 19th century and early part of the 20th century, but they don't realize that physics progress is asymptotic; it could move at extraordinary rates back when we knew very little, but we are now expending greater and greater efforts to achieve smaller and smaller gains. In other words, we're hitting a plateau. Believe it or not, science is not infinite; at some point there will just be nothing left to learn, or at least nothing left which we can devise feasible experiments to test (for example, if we have to construct a particle accelerator the size of the solar system in order to test a new theory, we've pretty much hit a wall).
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

The new discovery in 50 years argumrent doesnt wash . Yes there have been new inventions over thousands of years but all of them fited with the physics we know now . That physics hasnt changed and we understand it quite well because we can test a lot of it . Time travel wouldnt just be a matter of a new invetion it would take a new physics that fits together with what we already know .

Time is a series of moveing nows . While you read the now we are in has moved and the past nows are set like a jelly sets . Like watching a film or reading a book the story has ben told and one can watch / read it again buit one cant change it .. The nows we are in and were in are a part of time space and are already set . To change them we would have move the now we now are in to a past already writen now . That means we would have to leave time space ..... the film we are in = this universe .

Another view . The "we could only travel back to a time the time machine was made" theory = We would have to make a sort of time bubble that would stop or at least move slower than the time we are in now . A bubble where time space = the fabric of the universe stoped . Besides haveing to have a new physics we would have to have a source of energy that would stop or resisst the flow of the universe or leave the universe . = create our own bubble universe that was independant of this universe .

An example of the amounts of energy needed to change time space . The bigest energys in the universe are black holes . They are so big energy bundles that they change the flow of time space = just to change the flow a little bit with the physics we know now we would need to be able to create and controle energy amounts of the size of black holes .......... in a time ship . We all know what black holes do to stars = munch them like eating a bowl of cornflakes . In this case the relevant bowl of cornflakes would be us in our time ship = how could we survive so near to that sort of energy ? Remember equal and oposite energy ? Thats what we would need to avoid being munched ..

Thats my........theory............ anyway . I havent had a decent education and those thoughts just came to me without thinking while i read the last few posts before Darths again . SO if they are wrong and / or have flaws in them please explain .
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

People just believed any damned idea that popped into their heads and "felt" right. As a result, we spent centuries making almost zero progress.
The reason throughout parts of history little progress has been made is because of authority and religion (Often go hand in hand) which prevent new ideas from arising and challenging the status quo.
jyco

Post by jyco »

Ok, I stand very corrected...
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

god0fgod wrote:
People just believed any damned idea that popped into their heads and "felt" right. As a result, we spent centuries making almost zero progress.
The reason throughout parts of history little progress has been made is because of authority and religion (Often go hand in hand) which prevent new ideas from arising and challenging the status quo.
No, there was no shortage of new ideas. There were specific kinds of heretical ideas that the church forbade, but that didn't exclude nonsense. In fact, people made up silly things all the time. Read your history: the 19th century was full of snake-oil salesmen and hucksters selling goofy ideas without a shred of empirical evidence. The medieval period was full of utterly worthless cures for diseases which often caused more problems than they solved. Why? Because people back then were too ignorant to understand that ideas without supporting evidence are worthless. Sadly, some people still haven't gotten that message today.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I don't know if you realise but your manner of writing could be considered rude.

People throughout history were punished for having radical ideas.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

god0fgod wrote:I don't know if you realise but your manner of writing could be considered rude.
And misrepresenting the scientific method as the enemy of progress could be considered the most unbelievably dishonest thing I've ever seen.
People throughout history were punished for having radical ideas.
No, they were punished for having heretical ideas, ie- ideas which contradicted religion. History is full of "radical" ideas which were utter crap, and which no one was punished for: foolish nonsense like "demonic possession" as an explanation for erratic behaviour or disease. It took the scientific method to separate the garbage from the useful ideas: the same method which you are incredibly blaming for holding back progress, in the most bizarre mutilation of history that I've ever seen.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

No, they were punished for having heretical ideas, ie- ideas which contradicted religion
That's exactly my point. The authority of religion.
It took the scientific method to separate the garbage from the useful ideas: the same method which you are incredibly blaming for holding back progress, in the most bizarre mutilation of history that I've ever seen.
Please point me to the text I typed which made you came to that false conclusion. Perhaps I made a critical typo somewhere.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Can we please get back to time travel and cut the crap 5 year olds argueing bit .

"I don't know if you realise but your manner of writing could be considered rude."

Yours could be considered childish and naive . You dont answer questions and make loads of generalisations ," i told you sos" and "oh yes it is" like a kid at a pantomime . Make a point and then reply to the points made with more points ...... facts and realism . PLEASE .

The things that are being writen here have nothing to do with time travel and are just an extension of the things being talked about in the ultra right wing fantasy politics thread .
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I'm not going to day anything other than, I didn't start the whole science crap on this topic. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”