go to Mars, but .... don't come back

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: go to Mars, but .... don't come back

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I have to agree that there is no viable way to make a profit from Mars at this point in time, space travel must become faster, cheaper and easier first. And what happens to these colonists when they get older? Most Seniors have several prescriptions to fill regularly and eventually you'll be unable to take care of yourself, where are the Pharmacies and retirement homes? I think we are AT LEAST Decades away from being ready to establish a Colony on Mars.
they die.

however, I would assume that there would be babies born and raised there to take over the job. Even if it took generations before they had it ready for serious colonization, that is how it would have to be.

gee, don't you people ever read scifi or watch scifi?
:lol: :roll:

robert
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I have to agree that there is no viable way to make a profit from Mars at this point in time, space travel must become faster, cheaper and easier first. And what happens to these colonists when they get older? Most Seniors have several prescriptions to fill regularly and eventually you'll be unable to take care of yourself, where are the Pharmacies and retirement homes? I think we are AT LEAST Decades away from being ready to establish a Colony on Mars.
they die.

however, I would assume that there would be babies born and raised there to take over the job. Even if it took generations before they had it ready for serious colonization, that is how it would have to be.

gee, don't you people ever read scifi or watch scifi?
:lol: :roll:

robert
Eventually, but how long will it take? Will the youngsters just shoot the old folks to keep them from suffering once they pass the age where they are still productive? Or because they can't spare the resources to care for them once they stop working? A one way trip is no more feasible than a two way trip right now, look how hard it is to keep a team at the south pole for a year, more than once they had to launch aa dangerous rescue mission for a sick researcher, on Mars they will just die.
Lumpy Burgertushie

yep, just like they did in the past when people headed to the "new world" ( america ) to colonize it.

I am sure they would send qualified doctors with extensive medical equipement etc. No reason to assume they would just be dumped out with only a first aid kit and a swiss army knife.

roberrt
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

There is really no reason why anyone would go to Mars unless it was a round trip. To just go there and not be able to return would amount to little more than a suicide mission, and the mission would have no real purpose.

Mars isn't very well suited for people. There is ice at the poles and it is possible some underground water may be accessible, but that is dubious at best. From everything I have read about Mars, the atmosphere is very thin and is mostly carbon dioxide. I guess we could use plants to make oxygen, but I have my doubts the thin atmosphere on Mars could prevent the oxygen from escaping into space. Maybe plants could be raised indoors so the oxygen would be locked inside a building, but plants would still need to be planted outside because they are green and the darker color would hold more of the sun's heat and effectively warm the planet up.

It gets really cold on Mars, it is below zero most of the time so heat would be needed all the time inside of the buildings. Since the air on Mars is so thin and the magnetic field isn't very strong, there is practically no protection from radiation. You would have to stay inside and if you ventured outside you would need some pretty hefty space suits to keep you warm and to keep the radiation away from you.

Another thing is you would get bombarded with meteors. Here on Earth the atmosphere tends to burn up nearly all of the meteors before they strike the ground. On Mars nearly all of them would hit the ground because the atmosphere will not cause them to burn up.

I am not saying it is impossible to colonize Mars, I am just saying it won't be easy and sending people on a one way trip isn't a very good idea. Mars colonists would need a whole lot of assistance from Earth just to get started in building a base from which to work out of. If everything needed to live were in place on Mars, it may be possible for Mars to be a self sustaining planet. But initially it would take a great deal of support just for a handful of people to stay alive and function in any capacity.
noth

Post by noth »

some great ideas and comments on this thread and for those (like me) who mainly swallowed the whole Mars One "project" I have found it extremely interesting (but depressing :x ) to read the Wikipedia Editors own opinions which is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mars_One I have made a quick summary of their comments here
Image http://mars-one.com/en/
I would love for this "mission" to come off but after reading what the Wikipedia Editors have to say ...... :lol: oh boy!
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

What makes a manned Mars mission "out of the question" is the speed at which our present space craft can travel. If we had space craft which could travel to Mars in a few hours, then a manned Mars mission would be practical. But until someone comes up with a faster means of powering space craft, I think it is safe to say we can forget about going to Mars.
Hundpares
I am too lazy to register

Post by Hundpares »

I have to consent that there is no practical way to benefit from Mars at this time, area journey must become quicker, less expensive and simpler first. And what happens to these settlers when they get older? Most Elderly people have several medications to complete consistently and gradually you'll be incapable to deal with yourself, where are the Drug stores and pension homes? I think we are AT LEAST Years away from being prepared to identify a Community on Mars.
Lumpy Burgertushie

what happened to the spirit of adventure, the spirit of exploration, of challenge etc.?

If people had believed as you all do there would be no America, there would be nobody at the poles, there would have been no manned flights to the moon etc.

I think you would find no shortage of volunteers to go on a one way trip to Mars or even on one way trips out of the solar system just for the adventure and knowledge gathering.

robert
noth

Post by noth »

I like the comparison with "settlers" venturing forth to America and "there would be nobody at the poles" but I would hazard a guess that journeying to Mars is 1000 times as dangerous as going to either America or the poles 8-)

and once you get there - the target destination does not support life as we know it :o

America or the poles is 1000 times more hospitable than Mars.

I am sure you would find no shortage of volunteers to go on a one way trip to Mars but they are not heading to any America or even the poles, nothing quite so cosy, the comparison ends at that point really and if they even make it there (which is another argument) I wonder how long the "honeymoon" period would last!

it's tough to trumpet for the spirit of adventure, the spirit of exploration, of challenge when the task is realistically a horror story waiting to happen :x
Lumpy Burgertushie

think about it... when the first explorers headed out to sea they fully expected to fall off the edge of the world. they went anyway.

when the first exporers set out for the west of america, they had no idea what they would find. what they found was death at every turn, but they kept coming.

when the first explorers set out for the poles, they certainly did not expect the horrible conditions they found,
death waited at every turn, but they kept going.

just because it is hard, just because Mars might/will kill you , is no reason not to go. That is how mankind survives and flourishes. exploration, adventure, etc.

how the hell else will we ever know what is out there if we are not willing to risk our lives to find out?

that is what MAN has always done and what he will always do. Do you have any idea how dangerous the moon missions were? the computers they were depending on were not as powerful as a standard ten dollar walmart digital watch is today.

robert
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

What you are saying makes very little sense. What possible good does it do to send people to Mars just to die there? Let's say we send ten people there and they land safely. In a couple months, probably much less, they are dead. Ok, now what? Send ten more people to Mars? OK, so we send another ten people there, and they die within a couple months or less. What benefit was gained by their deaths? We already know we can get people there and land them safely. What we want to know is, is there anything on Mars that we can use to benefit the people on Earth. Going to Mars at this time is not taking a risk, it means certain death. In my opinion, what you are suggesting is just foolhardy. When there is nothing to be gained by going to Mars, then all you have is an expensive way of committing suicide.

What we need is a propulsion system that can power a spacecraft to Mars in a few hours, or a few days at most. That way we can send the people on Mars some supplies in order to keep them alive. Until we have such a propulsion system, a manned Mars mission is a suicide mission without any benefits coming from it.

Your analogy of people like Columbus thinking they would fall off the earth isn't really correct. Many people of that time knew very well the Earth was round, not flat. When there was a lunar eclipse they could see the shadow of the Earth on the moon. They could see the Earth was round. Additionally, whenever a ship would sale from port the ship would start to disappear and eventually only the mast would be showing. Finally, the whole ship would disappear over the horizon, thus demonstrating quite clearly the Earth was round. A great many people of that time period knew full well the Earth was round.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

While I agree with the spirit of adventure there is a big difference between going to Mars today and sailing to America back then. Columbus was seeking a new route to the Indies, he expected to find an established civilization waiting when he arrived. Those who followed were traveling to a land rich in resources and already populated plus they had the option of sailing back home if they decided upon arrival that it wasn't what they wanted. Even the explorers who reached the Poles had the option of turning back at any time, anyone leaving Earth for Mars is committed, no way to come back, ever.
While I do believe there will be people living on Mars some day I simply feel now is not the time, lets put a full time base on our own Moon first so we can make our mistakes close to home, where a rescue could be possible if needed, where more supplies can be sent fairly quickly if needed, and where the people can have the option of returning. Then, if it is deemed viable we can reach for Mars.
Lumpy Burgertushie

I never said it was practical, only that there would be plenty of volunteers for the trip.
I would bet money that nasa has a long list of well qualified people just begging for the chance. The fact that it would be a one way trip is not why they do not do it. Money is the only issue. Who is going to pay for the research and development? The gov sure as hell can't afford it any more.

robert
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Either way, whatever happens, men will go to Mars.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Return to “General Discussion”