The Google+ Project

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

The Google+ Project

Post by _Vinny_ » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:17 pm

https://plus.google.com/

The Google+ Project is Google's new social network to compete with facebook. It looks more like a copy of FB than a new social network. :|

Some already have a profile?

noth

Re: The Google+ Project

Post by noth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:59 pm

who with a FB a/c is going to bother?

most people who have a FB a/c have committed and invested time and effort to building a profile and network of friends

what would be achieved by going to a newcomer doing the same thing?

FB have one big thing and that is reliability, the set up is robust, it works and it's always there for you

what more can you ask?

/a3

Post by /a3 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:52 pm

I don't have Facebook or Twitter. Why should I bother with Google+?

JonnyFiveHundred

Post by JonnyFiveHundred » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:39 pm

towelietowel wrote:social networking is just so the companies can gather information from you. makes you easier to track down as you publicly post your information on the internet.
That is the benefit to businesses but users wouldn't participate if it wasn't a benefit to them to facilitate interaction with their friends.

JonnyFiveHundred

Post by JonnyFiveHundred » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm

That said, I think Google+ has a long way to go to catch up on Facebook. I have joined Google+ but only have 3 friends on it and no invitations to invite more!

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 am

Gaining a better understanding of how useful Circles are in Google+ has made me appreciate this new service a lot more. It feels as though I have more control over the things I share than I do on Facebook. Though I do understand that you can create groups on Facebook and add friends to those groups, then choose only to share with specific groups when you post things, the Circles in Google+ just make the whole experience much simpler, and even enjoyable, to use. While I do not believe that Google+ will even come near Facebook in terms of popularity (700+ million members is tough to compete with), I still think it will be a nice service for networking. I truly do not see it competing with Facebook in the way in which some others presume it will.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Johndrago
Name: John Drago

Post by Johndrago » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't want to join... but invites and that Google toolbar..... No chance to miss G+.

JustinHartley

Post by JustinHartley » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:43 am

Hi

I don't think the google +1 project will become a success....and they really can't compete with facebook> though I understand the fact that they are trying to get demographic info of people but it won't compete with facebook on the same levels.

fder

Post by fder » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:23 am

G+ can be criticized for the similarity of the interface with Facebook and other social networks, but this is done surely not because Google does not have any of the ideas in this area. Just at this stage the main goal is to create yet another place on the Web, where users will be comfortable and familiar. And this can be achieved only if the interface is to some extent repeat appearance familiar to them social networks.

ladybutterflywings

Post by ladybutterflywings » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Google has been making all sorts of changes lately G+ and most of the others I do not agree with. But change is inevitable. Unfortunately...

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Do not ever subscribe with Google+ if you value your gmail account. Because if you violate their Tos G will bar you from any and all G services you are subscribed with, like Youtube, blogger, Google books, etc. They do not have a customer support service, only a forum that is actually run by users. Or end up like this poor guy.

BigDaveS5

Post by BigDaveS5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm

OMG that guy from that link lost like 6 years of data im so glad i keep declining these Google+ invites :)

Plus id rather make my own social network software as its more entertaining than speaking to idiots :D on facebook and that god i hate that site :) but thats my opinion

Dave

BigDaveS5

Post by BigDaveS5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

towelietowel wrote:social networking is just so the companies can gather information from you. makes you easier to track down as you publicly post your information on the internet.
I defo aggree with this guy. :)

In my example your at work your wife posts on facebook just off to pick kids up from school.

And the people on facebook ohh ohh i know lets burgle her house while shes out.

phpDummie

Post by phpDummie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 am

I used to have friends.
Then I joined the Facebook.
© 2011 phpDummie

cincen

Post by cincen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm

I have dropped using facebook, Google+ is fantastic, you have total control on your social network.

Return to “General Discussion”