Page 1 of 2

Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm
by wGEric
Study is bogus. See http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13033102
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878 wrote:Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

The study gave web surfers an IQ test, then plotted their scores against the browser they used.

IE surfers were found to have an average IQ lower than people using Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Users of Camino and Opera rated highest.

The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action.

Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.

The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120.

AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

"I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

However, Mr Howard said he didn't feel threatened by a lawsuit: "A win in a court would only give a stamp of approval and more credibility to our report."
I think I'm going to switch to Opera.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 pm
by Tom
"They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world."
Yep, that sounds about right. Don't know how Professor Spiegelhalter can find issue with that claim.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm
by Brf
Well.... That can be explained with simple cause-and-effect.

The lower-IQ users are using the default browser their computer comes with, which is IExplore. The higher-IQ users know how to find other browsers, so some of them have started using other software.

Using this same argument, the browsers that are hardest to install would have the highest-IQ users.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm
by tbackoff
/me shows parents
SEE?!?!?! :lol:
Brf wrote:the browsers that are hardest to install would have the highest-IQ users.
Care to elaborate? I know for a fact that FF and Safari are basically "next next next next finish" installers.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 pm
by Brf
So you are agreeing with my conclusion then.

IExplore requires no installation steps at all, since it comes installed with Windows.

Firefox, Safari, and such are simple installs, so they are medium-IQ users.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm
by tbackoff
Not really. People install software all the time (low IQ or not). Installing a browser is no different. Whether they know that or not is another story.
Brf wrote:the browsers that are hardest to install would have the highest-IQ users
(emphasis mine)
This makes it sound like installing them are cumbersome at best, which is what I disagree with.

I do agree that people with low IQs will just go with whatever is installed.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm
by AdamR
One has to be careful about the conclusions that they draw from this research, and the article even points out some of these. I've seen a lot of people so far (not in this topic, but elsewhere) say that this automatically means that all versions of IE are the worst browser and that the others are better. What these people have failed to include is that by their logic, they should be using Opera since it's the best. ;)
The article wrote:AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.
I think this research shows, more than anything, the personality of users with lower and higher IQ scores, moreso on the higher end. People with very high IQ scores are typically set in their ways and firm in their opinions. Opera, while a fantastic browser, is more often used (in my opinion) by people who think more highly of themselves simply because they use Opera and everyone else doesn't. :D

- Adam

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 pm
by Arty
Brf wrote:Well.... That can be explained with simple cause-and-effect.

The lower-IQ users are using the default browser their computer comes with, which is IExplore. The higher-IQ users know how to find other browsers, so some of them have started using other software.
Safari is also a default browser. So can we conclude that Mac users have higher IQ than Windows users? :D

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:08 am
by Tom
I'm not so upset that people use IE. What makes me more upset is that Microsoft doesn't do more to encourage ignorant users to upgrade their IE versions to the latest workable version for their OS (IE8 for XP, IE9 for Vista and Win7). If the people who are still using IE6 are doing so because they are unaware that newer versions exist, or unaware of how to run Windows Updates, then I feel that it would be in everyone's best interest if Microsoft looked at Chrome's system and followed their example of automatically updating IE in the background without bothering the user, thus making it effortless for even ignorant Windows users to be running the latest IE version for their OS. In my opinion, there is no acceptable excuse for why IE6 still makes a dent in usage statistics.

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:11 am
by AdamR
Tom wrote:If the people who are still using IE6 are doing so because they are unaware that newer versions exist, or unaware of how to run Windows Updates, then I feel that it would be in everyone's best interest if Microsoft looked at Chrome's system and followed their example of automatically updating IE in the background without bothering the user, thus making it effortless for even ignorant Windows users to be running the latest IE version for their OS.
Windows Update is turned on by default in Vista/7. IE updates are pushed out to the user without asking. All the user is asked to do is reboot their computer. Windows Update has to be manually disabled, just like Chrome's automatic update has to be manually disabled.

- Adam

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 am
by Tom
Then I suppose I'm speaking more about the Windows XP crowd, which do not have updates forced upon them (at least not to my knowledge) and thus may be prone to use the default IE6. Is there anything Microsoft can do to address this issue?

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 am
by AdamR
Tom wrote:Then I suppose I'm speaking more about the Windows XP crowd, which do not have updates forced upon them (at least not to my knowledge) and thus may be prone to use the default IE6. Is there anything Microsoft can do to address this issue?
Other than sending people door to door and forcing people to turn on Windows Update on XP, upgrade to 7, or buy a new computer, unfortunately no. :P

EDIT: In the US, IE6 usage is sitting at under 2%. Asia, specifically China at 30%, is skewing the world statistics by a lot, up to around 9%. That leaves very few people, outside of corporations, using IE6 in the world.

And they're trying for sure, as evidenced by sites such as this. The issue at this point is that Microsoft annouced the end of extended support for XP almost a decade ago (Set for Q3 2014). Because of their loyalty to their business customers, they have to stick to this date. After that point, really won't be used in corporations at all.

- Adam

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:19 am
by /a3
Lots of Norwegians and other European countries use Opera. Related?

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 am
by AdamR
/a3 wrote:Lots of Norwegians and other European countries use Opera. Related?
This could possibly be a local phenomenon, considering Opera Software is based in Norway. ;)

- Adam

Re: Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:35 am
by /a3
I meant that the IQ thing could be more related to those specific countries using Opera having a higher IQ in general. Although it's probably a combination of many things, obviously including whether people could be bothered switching browsers.

Perhaps I'm analysing this too much. ;)

Sorry Opera, but I won't be switching! :P
(intended as a joke, of course)