Running a forum / (Emoticons)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Running a forum / (Emoticons)

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 am

Hi people,

I've just joined this forum (because I'm converting from Ikonboard - sorry!). I've been running a forum for the last 10 years or so. And I have to say it's changed my life, I know that sounds very dramatic, but hell, it's just how it is! My board is a flyfishing board, and through that board several things have happened - I can go flyfishing anywhere around the world and have friends who live there - who I may have talked to for many years! And others, who are also forum members, do the same thing too - this was a big move forward for us; when Mr X in Germany visited Mr Y in California for a week's fun and fishing. It's actually moved forward from there too, because we have board members' meet in the UK, NZ, Australia, US, Canada and so on - and in places 30-50 board members meet - flyfishers and predominantly instructors.

Also through the Internet discussions flycasting knowledge has tripled in the last decade, and we are at the forefront of that. OK, so there's a bit of flyfishing in there, but I had to get it in!

Anyway, that's my introduction, sorry it's a bit long-winded (would like a friendly tounge-out emoticon now!).

One thing I've noticed, is while there is directions as to how to incorporate the software, there is never instructions as to what to actually do with it! I have three recommendations and would love to start a topic in which we can learn more!

1) Emoticons (Smilies). The emoticons that a board uses portrays the entire "feel" of the Board. With the greatest of respect to the designer of the smilies that come with this particular package, these smilies alone can create ill-feeling between board members. You need "soft" friendly smilies, not sarcastic ones. Many fights I've seen are actually smily based! I would recommend to anyone starting or running a board to have friendly, non-intimidating, non-sarcastic smilies! Give me a round face any time! I have no idea is this link will work but the smilies I use are [url]javascript:PopUp('http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theb ... '1','1','1')[/url]

I feel very strongly about that subject, so much so that I changed our wink to a friendly wink!

2) Always be open to being wrong. If you can say, "thanks, I was wrong, I learned something new there. Thanks again!" Then your forum members will do the same. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be running a forum in the first place.

3) Cut out the chaff. At some point you're going to have to delete people; do it early. They will become like bad apples; the longer you wait the more people you'll have to delete!! Take them out early, prevent them re-registering under a different name. Always. I've learned that it's impossible to change someone, easy to delete them and others forget them very quickly. I've always considered my forum to be like a campfire that I initiated; if someone becomes unruly, take them by the ear and chuck them out.

Boards are an incredible human interaction! Take a normal meeting of 20 people, 2-3 people dominate and the rest have no say. That doesn't happen on Internet forums; everyone not only has a say, but can work on their posts to their very best. Believe me, there is nothing else like it. As with all the guys and girls who run these things, I believe we have a lot to learn. I would be interested to hear from other board administrators on how they run boards; what they have learned, no matter in what field we post. Could this be an interesting topic?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Re: Running a forum / (Emoticons)

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 am

Jees. I wrote that a long time ago! :roll:
smilies.jpeg
Smilies link: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/po ... milies&f=2

Thanks for the phpbb software; phpbb3.2 is truly outstanding. 8-)

Return to “General Discussion”