Releasing a new version without a name or number

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Releasing a new version without a name or number

Post by MichaelC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Apple just released a new product in its line of iPads.

There were lots of rumors going around about the name. Whether it would be iPad 3 or iPad HD.

Then something happened nobody expected, it wasn't given a name. On the website and throughout the presentation it is called 'The New iPad'.

Personally I think its just going to make things confusing when they release an iPad afterwards. Will it be the newer iPad or the new new iPad or the newest iPad?

So what are your views on releasing a new product, but under the same name?

nextgen
Jr. Style Validator
Name: Melvin García

Re: Releasing a new version without a name or number

Post by nextgen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:01 am

They ran out of ideas, They should use an acronym to dereference the product and not create confusion.
メルビン・ガルシア • Xtrato SolutionsMy active styles for phpBBphpBB Argentina - Soporte en español🇦🇷

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.

FB92

Post by FB92 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 am

The one iPhone/iPad w/e is enough. I do not even bother with these. They're just a waste of money and by the looks of it that's just what they want. To release a whole new iPod/iPad w/e to just get money.

/a3

Post by /a3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 am

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm

/a3 wrote:Perhaps relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/nUtZK.jpg
I find it pretty sad...
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I personally think that they made a bad decision with this naming choice. They could have at least gone with iPad 3. But "The new iPad" is not a good choice at all, not by a long shot. It will only be the new iPad until the next one comes out. After that, referring to it as the new iPad will just making things really confusing. "Did you get the new iPad?" "Which one? The old new iPad or the new new iPad?" :roll:
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 pm

The "new" iPad is a very deliberate (and deliberately misleading) marketing strategy; used to fool the Apple 'superfan' elite into thinking there is a genuine need to spend their life savings on upgrading.

What's new in the new iPad: New screen, new camera, 4g support. $100 more expensive.

Apple are taking the public for a ride. Need I say more?

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:$100 more expensive.
Same price as the iPad 2's were, but the iPad 2's were just taken down in price.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:33 am

Christian 2.0 wrote:Apple are taking the public for a ride. Need I say more?
I agree with you on this one.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Unknown Bliss wrote:
Christian 2.0 wrote:$100 more expensive.
Same price as the iPad 2's were, but the iPad 2's were just taken down in price.
So therefore still $100 more expensive than the iPad 2. ;)

Essentially for a screen (where the naked eye is unlikely to notice any difference to the iPad 2 screen), and a better camera (which would be rarely used enough to justify the cost, since an iPad isn't designed as a primary photography device).

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:Essentially for a screen (where the naked eye is unlikely to notice any difference to the iPad 2 screen), and a better camera (which would be rarely used enough to justify the cost, since an iPad isn't designed as a primary photography device).
Even the naked eye noticed the difference, try to read a iBook from a iPhone 3Gs with one from the iPhone4, the Retina Display makes a big difference. For me (as a people that wear glasses) it reads the books much easier and my eyes are less tired when I have read the book with a Retina Display.

And I agree the camera makes no sense, I really don't care about a better camera.

So yes, the Retina Display makes the me want to buy a iPad (the 3rd generation), on the other hand my iPad2 is just working like it should be so no need to replace it yet :)

For example I just made a decent effort to compare the iPad2 with a iPhone4 and yes the eye knows right away the Retina Display, since the screen is just sharper, and the colours are come out better on the Retina Display.
Though I have not seen the "new" iPad live in action so I can not comment on that yet ;).

Though a video that sums all the new features together ;)

Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Not having a version works fine for cars, TVs and many other products. You use the year it was released or a model number to tell them apart. It isn't as convenient for consumers but there are still ways to tell each version apart.
Christian 2.0 wrote:(where the naked eye is unlikely to notice any difference to the iPad 2 screen)
I hope you are joking. Having not seen the new iPad I can't comment on that but the different between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone4 is noticeable.
Eric

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:Essentially for a screen (where the naked eye is unlikely to notice any difference to the iPad 2 screen),
The iPad2 has a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, the new one has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. Generally, the human eye can't distinguish differences in resolutions between that of a 50" 720p HDTV and a 50" 1080p HDTV at a distance of 15+ feet (generally speaking, those with "eagle eyes" can see a slight difference).

I doubt if anyone will be using their iPad from a distance greater than say, arms length (generally 2 feet) so just about everyone should be able to see a difference.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:34 am

What hasn't been said yet is that the iPad 3 has double the RAM as the iPad 2, in addition to having a newer, faster processor, including quad core graphics.

The retina display offers up 50% more pixels than a "full high definition" television. The screen may be small, but at arms' length, the eyes can tell a definite difference.

Curiously, countless products have yearly upgrades. Why riff on Apple for doing the same, simply because their products are perceived as cool enough to justify buying repeatedly?

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 pm

romans1423 wrote:Why riff on Apple for doing the same, simply because their products are perceived as cool enough to justify buying repeatedly?
Because they deliberately drip-feed the most basic features which could have, and should have been there from the start, and then market them like the best thing since sliced bread. It's so cynical, but they make it seem as though they're your best friend doing you a favour.

Return to “General Discussion”