Releasing a new version without a name or number

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: Releasing a new version without a name or number

Post by callumacrae » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 pm

None of their other products but the iPhone has a number. They're simply making their products more consistent.

That, and it will help stop the criticism that fanbois go out and buy every device. You only hear that with the iPhone and iPad, and I suspect that it is probably due to the number.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 am

Christian 2.0 wrote:Because they deliberately drip-feed the most basic features which could have, and should have been there from the start, and then market them like the best thing since sliced bread. It's so cynical, but they make it seem as though they're your best friend doing you a favour.
What sort of basic features are we talking about here?

The new iPad features hardware upgrades. Is Dell then guilty of drip-feeding features for releasing new laptops every so often with upgraded specs? Or what about the countless Android phones that come out constantly, all again with mostly hardware variations?

Or cameras, or cars, or televisions... All have new versions of products released with upgraded specs, just like the new iPad is doing.

I'm confused what your beef is, exactly, as to what features should have been there from the beginning and which are warranted reasons for a new device version?

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 am

Most products do it. Its business 101. But a lot of companies also don't posses the technology/manpower/money. Apple does.

It all goes back to the never ending light bulb theory.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

darksminky

Post by darksminky » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:14 pm

or, you could get an android

Bonus: Live backgrounds, not having "your" phone remotely owned by the thing you bought it from, no metaphorical mommy telling you what is and is not secure, as though the users can't tell the difference.
hardware to be almost custom-made with all of the variety, or if you just want the same, get a RAZR, as you can fit an entire iphone on the screen bit, and it has similair resolution. Need I say more?

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't understand what the big deal is. Companies are in business to make money, that is the whole idea of a business. So when a company such as Apple makes a new product, they advertise it in such a way that it entices people to purchase that new product. But consumers have the option of buying the new product, or not buying it. So in the final analysis it is really simple, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it, if you buy it you are buying it at your own discretion.

Return to “General Discussion”