Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by KevC »

Dunno about Android but on iOS you just tap the 'share' icon and choose 'add to homescreen'.
Helps to do this as well
iPod and iPhone home screen icon
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 »

drcensor wrote:it would be great to have a app that is really just a link to your own forum, that members could download from your forum?
would that be so hard to do? :shock:
That's not an 'app', of course, but a just a bookmark to your forum which has an icon like an app icon... :)
drcensor
Name: Tyrone

Post by drcensor »

yes sorry thought a app was anything that had a icon on my phone, well I'm sorted now thanks everyone, and it's a great thing for my members of course, and i have let them know how to do it.

:lol:
drcensor
Name: Tyrone

Re: a app for mobile version

Post by drcensor »

if you just want a link on the homescreen of your members phones read this article

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/ipod-a ... creen-icon
minddigital
I've Been Banned!

Post by minddigital »

Tapatalk makes navigating and discovering online discussion forums on your mobile device easier than ever! This new full-featured edition of Tapatalk includes full HD phone and tablet display support and unlimited watermarked photo sharing........
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

minddigital wrote:<edited>
...and it has a history of gaping security holes. No thanks!
Last edited by Pond Life on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas »

Don't quote spambots ;)
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

Sorry, I should have realized but I'm not used to seeing spam here. :oops:
bna

Post by bna »

Update - Privacy and Security concerns with Tapatalk.

Firstly, Tapatalk puts its own advertising into your forums - even if the setting is off and even with paid versions. Besides affecting revenue, if you rely on advertising to cover costs, the ethical question is whether the injected advertisements are suitable for your forum content and your own views.

The big issue and concern with Tapatalk is user tracking. With the new European laws on data protection, this has come into focus recently as international businesses and organisations comply. Ethical organisations and businesses do not sell customer data without their knowledge and explicit content

Tapatalk gathers and sell this user data, even when the app is off. So as a forum manager, if you support tapatalk, you are also supporting the practice of tapatalk gathering and selling the following user data.

- IP Address
- Type of device
- Browser information
- Demographic data
- Profile Data
- Specific identity data for the device including identifider, brand, model, operating system
- GPS Data / Location
- Strength of wireless (WLAN / Bluetooth)
- Battery percent

There are various repercussions from your own legal liability as a forum manager / owner through to your opinion whether it is fair and acceptable behaviour. It is worth considering these details if you want to start or continue supporting tapatalk or other forum apps.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

bna wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 am .....

Tapatalk gathers and sell this user data, even when the app is off. So as a forum manager, if you support tapatalk, you are also supporting the practice of tapatalk gathering and selling the following user data.

- IP Address
- Type of device
- Browser information
- Demographic data
- Profile Data
- Specific identity data for the device including identifider, brand, model, operating system
- GPS Data / Location
- Strength of wireless (WLAN / Bluetooth)
- Battery percent

All this should and could be notified to the Office of the GDPR Supervisor.
If everything is true (I'm a guarantor) it's unacceptable.
Not to mention the code of that software, which is a real insult IMHO.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

bna wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 amThe big issue and concern with Tapatalk is
Security.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Mick wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 am Security.
+10

And the data of the users of any forum ( Privacy )...
http://www.phpbb-es.com/foro/viewtopic. ... 10#p235210
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

focp

Post by focp »

Having read this topic and lots of other similar topics here, and also topics on how to get new members to join your forum, i believe an app for mobile users would be greatly beneficial to any forum,

I have, like many other users of phpbb , had difficulty in getting new users to even view the board let alone sign up to the forum,

I have asked lots of questions of friends and other folks i have met and talked to, about the reasons why they dont bother with forums at all,

And the number one reason has always been “ if i have to sign in to the forum, then i cant be bothered” !

With no2 being, “i can do that on facebook”

In these days of mobile phone users, it would seem a mobile app for you forum is pretty much a must have thing,
But how many of us can afford to have an app written just for our forum alone, (and then double the cost if you want both iphone and android apps) ?

It would be great if an app for phpbb could be developed that could quite easily be customised for each owners forum, either by phpbb itself or a group of knowledgeable users, and i suspect that many users here would be willing to pay a reasonable sum for the use of such an app,

Its Probably not easily (if at all) done thing though,
But without such an app that enables forum users to simply tap on an app to access the forum with one tap, and to get notifications sent directly to their phone for new posts etc, then i fear that the days of forums, and also phpbb is limited, with more and more forums falling by the wayside, as just more victims of Facebooks domination of the scene.
and i dont think anyone would like to see that happen :(

posted more in hope than expectation :?
david63

Post by david63 »

focp wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 pm And the number one reason has always been “ if i have to sign in to the forum, then i cant be bothered” !

With no2 being, “i can do that on facebook”
That makes no sense - they have to sign into Facebook
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and if you want to be able to just tap to go to and login to a phpbb board. that should be simple on a phone even without an app .

can't you just create a link somewhere for any website you want and just tap /click on it?

as for the notifications, if you set your notifications properly in phpbb and install a extension, you will get an email everytime a post is made etc.

not sure what a phpbb app would do that is not already available.

having said all that, I do not own a smart phone so I could be all wrong about all of it.

robert

Return to “General Discussion”