Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
evilcrusher

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by evilcrusher »

silyavski wrote:And what about the mobile styles like this http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... er_mobile/

Isn't this what you need?
This works excellently. Thank you so much. now to get keycaptcha m+
daziam

Post by daziam »

Great news about the app, can be very very useful indeed.
pptBlue

Post by pptBlue »

evilcrusher wrote:
silyavski wrote:And what about the mobile styles like this http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... er_mobile/

Isn't this what you need?
This works excellently. Thank you so much. now to get keycaptcha m+
Thanks for the feedback on how its working for you. This mobile style looks promising and doesn't require users to buy a custom app. Nice.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Eragon wrote:I do not understand .. Why does not mobile application phpBB :evil:
Most importantly because we create forum software and not Android software, also our developers already have limited time to work on phpBB. If they would work on Andoroid/iOS apps then that would take away time from phpBB development and slow that down even further and I for one (and presumingly most phpBB users) think that the devs can spend their time better on building the best forum software rather then something else.
Why do phpbb developers always need to work on stuff? If the latest forum version works fine and does everything you want, why do you need to keep improving it? Isn't that a waste of time? Why not reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?

Why keep coming out with endless stuff like Microsoft does, and forcing everyone to upgrade? It's such a big unnecessary hassle.
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

WWu777 wrote:Why do phpbb developers always need to work on stuff? If the latest forum version works fine and does everything you want, why do you need to keep improving it? Isn't that a waste of time? Why not reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?

Why keep coming out with endless stuff like Microsoft does, and forcing everyone to upgrade? It's such a big unnecessary hassle.
Technology evolves at an ever increasing pace, and software must "adapt or perish", so to speak, in order to remain relevant in the market amongst its competitors. Truly, software is never really "finished", as there are always more features and fixes that can be done if one engages in enough deliberation about the product and its feature set. Point is that the developers continue to work on phpBB because everyone wants it to remain a relevant forum solution in today's world, whilst keeping up with the latest security and optimization techniques to ensure that the software is as safe and efficient as possible; therefore, the work never stops. ;)
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

Acid Tech looks good on Opera Mini and on Mobile IE10 on WP8. It scales just fine and works even on a 2G connection. These days you dont need to worry about mobile data, i guess unless youre on a limited plan, but even on a 2.5G/month plan i still only use <400megs and i consider myself a 'heavy data' user. I installed the mobile theme on my most recent undertaking, but find theres no need to switch to it.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I couldn't imagine having to live with a measly 2 or 3 gb data cap. even without downloading any movies I run 30 to 40 gb a month some times. That is the reason I put up with my provider's slow connection and problems.

by the way, I am not talking about using a phone or tablet, I don't have those. I use my desktop only.

I would be willing to bet that just my time spent on this board alone would be more than most data caps.

robert
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I couldn't imagine having to live with a measly 2 or 3 gb data cap. even without downloading any movies I run 30 to 40 gb a month some times. That is the reason I put up with my provider's slow connection and problems.

by the way, I am not talking about using a phone or tablet, I don't have those. I use my desktop only.

I would be willing to bet that just my time spent on this board alone would be more than most data caps.

robert
He talks about mobile data, not a limit for a homeline.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yep, that is one of the reasons I don't use the phone to go online. I have no need to that function.
I live online, heck, I live here at phpbb.com, and I rarely leave the house so I don't need any other way to stay online than my computer.

yes, I know, I am an old fart but my phone is so old it doesn't even have a camera. I am weird, I use my phone for making ... wait for it.....phone calls. I had texting turned completely off on my plan etc.

robert
drcensor
Name: Tyrone

a app for mobile version

Post by drcensor »

how hard would it be to create a app that was a link to your mobile version of your site?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: a app for mobile version

Post by KevC »

Why reinvent the wheel when the likes of tapatalk do that already. They even have an option to build your own for a fee.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drcensor

Re: a app for mobile version

Post by drcensor »

Thanks Kevin
i have joined Tapatalk
that will do for now.
but will still look into creating a app to link to my forum
drcensor

Post by drcensor »

it would be great to have a app that is really just a link to your own forum, that members could download from your forum?
would that be so hard to do? :shock:
Holger

Post by Holger »

drcensor wrote:it would be great to have a app that is really just a link to your own forum, that members could download from your forum?
would that be so hard to do? :shock:
Uh? You just want a shortcut from the phone to the forum? Everyone can do that. No need for an app ...
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:yep, that is one of the reasons I don't use the phone to go online. I have no need to that function.
I live online, heck, I live here at phpbb.com, and I rarely leave the house so I don't need any other way to stay online than my computer.

yes, I know, I am an old fart but my phone is so old it doesn't even have a camera. I am weird, I use my phone for making ... wait for it.....phone calls. I had texting turned completely off on my plan etc.

robert
^this!
Same here!
drcensor

Post by drcensor »

any hints on how? :D :D :D :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”