Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Posts: 4442
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: UK
Name: Christian
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Not a forum based software solution, ergo, immaterial. ;)
I disagree - it's completely relevant.

Perhaps phpBB doesn't currently have the resources to create its own mobile app / compatibility. Though this increasingly growing user base (of mobile users), should not be neglected on the basis that "phpBB is a bulletin board provider", and that anything other than the core software is beyond the realms of possibility.
🚀 Premium phpBB Styles
Premium 3.2 Styles: Modern phpBB Style, NEW - Volare Material phpBB Style
Premium 3.2 Extensions: phpBB sidebar Extension
Custom work available on request

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 20895
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:41 pm

and that anything other than the core software is beyond the realms of possibility.
Where, exactly, was that stated?

Also, wordpress has a ton more people (devs and not) working on the project...just as phpBB could IF it had users, such as yourself, that would contribute. I believe the main push right now is finishing up extensions and whatever else for 3.1...not to develop a mobile solution/style.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

User avatar
Eragon
Registered User
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Eragon » Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 pm

You want to extend this system (phpBB) ... You must use mobile applications .. because everyone now, not at the pc .. in the hands of everyone, there are tablets or smart phone ..

I have to keep track of this site with rss

I do not think my opinion is bad

sorry my bad english
google translate :)

User avatar
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Posts: 4442
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: UK
Name: Christian
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:29 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:I believe the main push right now is finishing up extensions and whatever else for 3.1...not to develop a mobile solution/style.
Absolutely right, that's the way it should be given the circumstances (with 3.1 being about 5 years behind the rest of the internet).
RMcGirr83 wrote:Where, exactly, was that stated?
Erik Frèrejean wrote:Most importantly because we create forum software and not Android software
This isn't anything against Erik (who I hold in high regard for his clear contributions to the project). Though the "we create bulletin board software, not xyz" cliche has been banded around here for years.

I suppose what's disappointing is that whilst bridges were added to the agenda, a mobile app has seemingly been dismissed at the first sight without any apparent consideration.
Last edited by Christian 2.0 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🚀 Premium phpBB Styles
Premium 3.2 Styles: Modern phpBB Style, NEW - Volare Material phpBB Style
Premium 3.2 Extensions: phpBB sidebar Extension
Custom work available on request

User avatar
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:09 am
Location: The Netherlands, 3.0.x Support Forum
Name: Erik Frèrejean
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon May 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:Most importantly because we create forum software and not Android software
This isn't anything against Erik (who I hold in high regard for his clear contributions to the project). Though the "we create bulletin board software, not xyz" cliche has been banded around here for years.
Yes it (unfortunately) has, and I'm not per definition against a mobile solution. However if you look at the current development pace and/or time available to developers I do think that, that cliche should stick. All time invested other than in the core will only slow down development even more therefore at this point it is IMO simply not realistic to get rid of that (or all users will have to accept even longer release cycles).

However everyone is free to build a mobile solution and than talk to the dev/management and discuss the possibility of it becoming an official application (yes this has been done in the past). But besides that I don't see/expect such a solution being developed internally any time soon.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

yuritenshi
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by yuritenshi » Mon May 21, 2012 10:20 pm

When there is interest, things get done.

User avatar
/a3
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 am
Location: /dev/random

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by /a3 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 am

The GPL is not compatible with the restrictive iOS developer agreement apparently.
If one were to be developed, it would have to be under an alternative license.

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Slovakia
Name: Martin
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Kamahl19 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 am

I think official mobile style would be enough. What is the difference between well optimized mobile style which looks like iOS App and real App?

I prefer using mobile styles on Facebook, Youtube, Twittr and not to install separate Apps for each service

User avatar
Tom
Former Team Member
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:12 am
Name: Tom Catullo
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Tom » Fri May 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Eragon wrote:You want to extend this system (phpBB) ... You must use mobile applications .. because everyone now, not at the pc .. in the hands of everyone, there are tablets or smart phone ..
I, personally, have to agree with this wholeheartedly. The mobile platform is gaining momentum faster than anyone would have imagined back when phpBB 3.1 (then 3.2) was first planned out. I believe that, while actual Android an iOS apps are not quite necessary for phpBB, a mobile-optimized board style built by the phpBB Team and included with the official phpBB software package is essential. We cannot keep ignoring the fact that the mobile platform is growing just because it's not convenient for us. I realize that I'm not a developer, and I don't know what it's like to have the pressure and time constraints placed on me that developers are likely to experience, but let's be practical here -- mobile is not just some fad or some transient platform; it's here to stay, and it's only going to get bigger. If we're not willing to adjust our current development plans to keep pace with today's technologies, then in my opinion we deserve to be left behind. How can we expect users and Web administrators to just accept our shortcomings when we're unwilling to take the necessary time and effort to address them? The simple answer is that we cannot. I love phpBB, and I feel as though our current direction suited us at the time when the next version of phpBB was first conceived. However, times have changed, and the needs of users and Web administrators have changed with them. We seem to recognize this, no doubt, but we seem to be better at coming up with excuses for why we're "right" and others are "wrong" than we are at addressing the clear and present issues facing our software and its future.

I mean no disrespect to the Development Team or any other users or team members who contribute to the development process of phpBB, as I respect the fact that you have the dedication and motivation to do what I have not yet been able to. However, I think it's important that we take action to protect our software and ensure a successful future for it. Adaptability in the tech field is key for survival. It's a classic case of Darwin's theory of natural selection, and right now we're analogous to white mice in a dark-colored forest inhabited by predatory hawks.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Slovakia
Name: Martin
Contact:

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by Kamahl19 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 am

If English was my native language, I would write exactly the same post :) or at least I would "Like" it if phpBB had this feature :)

User avatar
silyavski
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by silyavski » Sun May 27, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't agree with most of the opinions here. :mrgreen:
Frankly i don't see a real world reason for an mobile app. I have started before a week working on my new forum and decided to use the same template as here and can see it properly on my android smart phone and tablet. Looks well on my friends iphone also.
Whats the point? From the beginning of year /2012/ no body produces phones and tablets with a less than 600 screen resolution at the short side.Even the Chinese like ZTE, etc. All the people who are Internet Aware have nice new phones and/or tablets and not to speak for the monitors on the PCs.
Who cares about the people that buy the Chinese crap with lower resolution for a 100$ or less, they will never enter a forum and if stumble upon one by chance, they will not be active, i mean they are not market target.
I believe in exactly one year no body will have a crappy phone or tablet, at least in the developing countries.

So better spend time and resources where truly needed. I know that you know that already :D

CaNNon_
Registered User
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by CaNNon_ » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

It's not just how it looks, you also need to consider data transfer on mobile networks.

User avatar
/a3
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 am
Location: /dev/random

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by /a3 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 am

CaNNon_ wrote:It's not just how it looks, you also need to consider data transfer on mobile networks.
Mobile styles can be pretty small. Plus CSS files are cached.

And with GZip, the HTML can be pretty small.

CaNNon_
Registered User
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by CaNNon_ » Wed May 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Exactly /a3, we just need something like a optimized style for mobile. imo cyber allen is on the right path.

User avatar
silyavski
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Offical phpbb.com mobile app

Post by silyavski » Thu May 31, 2012 12:07 am

And what about the mobile styles like this http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... er_mobile/

Isn't this what you need?

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests