FLASH or other ANIMATIONS

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bbseek

FLASH or other ANIMATIONS

Post by bbseek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm

:?: What do people use these days? I’m thinking of putting a small animation on the site. I’ll get a non-exclusive license it for a few bucks from one of the websites that do this. It would be small in terms of real estate and the file size.

I’m just unsure whether flash is even the way to go. What’s the “modern” way to incorporate small animations such as something slowly changing its shape or letters? What do people do that’s easy for a computer illiterate guys like me to insert on the page?

I’ve read that flash is history and something else should be used, but what is it? Or is flash perfectly acceptable?

Many thanks.

bbseek

Re: FLASH or other ANIMATIONS

Post by bbseek » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 pm

My question is stupid. I get it. I probably didn't even know how to ask it properly. :cry: It would still be nice to get some helpful advice. Thanks! :)

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Flash is still widely used (YouTube anyone?). However, HTML5 may take some of that market share away.

[personal rant]I try and steer clear of such sites. Forcing me to to sit through an animation just to get to a site (even if it is an "intro" animation) is annoying. Once that happens, I leave[/personal rant]
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 pm

My husband wants to have a Flash intro for one of his websites before the main site loads. We were just talking about it again last night. I'm trying to convince him Flash is going the way of the Dodo and is just plain annoying. :roll: Plus there's the factor of so many people browsing the web with iOS devices. I haven't swayed him yet.
Anyone else have an opinion on it or reasoning other than mine?
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Flash is dying - how long it will last on desktops is uncertain, but it's pretty much dead on mobiles/tables from here on out. By now, it should have been pulled from the Google Play store, so only deviced with it installed will be able to use it. Most newer devices and browsers these days can handle HTML5 / CSS3 transitions (some of which are pretty sweet).

If you can, steer clear of it. If you really have to use flash, there are some sites out there that allow you to convert your flash into HTML5 so that it remains cross-browser - I looked into this very briefly (most run via javascript). :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

darksminky

Post by darksminky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:44 am

try checking out kineticjs as an alternative sometime, I've been toying around with it in my spare time. I've made a game where you have to run away from a man-eating square using the arrow keys, and that's all that's terribly notable.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm

t_backoff wrote:Flash is still widely used (YouTube anyone?). However, HTML5 may take some of that market share away.

[personal rant]I try and steer clear of such sites. Forcing me to to sit through an animation just to get to a site (even if it is an "intro" animation) is annoying. Once that happens, I leave[/personal rant]
Agreed... I hate websites with flash intros.

-EnYgmA-

Post by -EnYgmA- » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:57 am

Hello,

so far no code (Html5 / css3 / js / jQuery) can also replace the flash itself, it is obvious to see that not all factors can be interpreted as it should with a simple converion file. fla /. swf ...

Is not beautiful ? http://www.ar-operator.com/ 8-)

cordially ;)

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:16 pm

darcie wrote:My husband wants to have a Flash intro for one of his websites before the main site loads. We were just talking about it again last night. I'm trying to convince him Flash is going the way of the Dodo and is just plain annoying. :roll: Plus there's the factor of so many people browsing the web with iOS devices. I haven't swayed him yet.
Anyone else have an opinion on it or reasoning other than mine?
I don't necessarily think a flash intro before the main site loads is all bad. If it is short, sweet and to the point, and if it serves a useful purpose, then I think it is perfectly OK.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:40 pm

-EnYgmA- wrote:Hello,

so far no code (Html5 / css3 / js / jQuery) can also replace the flash itself, it is obvious to see that not all factors can be interpreted as it should with a simple converion file. fla /. swf ...

Is not beautiful ? http://www.ar-operator.com/ 8-)

cordially ;)
That is great! Really, really, good.

The only problem I have with flash intros - even ones as good as yours - is it prevents you from getting to the point. It would suit me just fine if I could go straight to the page that allows me to select the "About", "Services", etc, options (which is also excellent).

There's a reason why the largest and and most successful websites (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Ebay, Yahoo, etc) don't use animated intros. They understand that the intro slows visitors down from accessing the information/services/products that they're there to acquire.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:16 pm

intro pages, flash or not, are only serving the egos of the creators. ( no offense to anyone). I really doubt you will find any user that given a choice would choose to have to go to an intro page before they get to what they came to your site for. Notice , I did not say that the users would not appreciate how wonderful the intro page might be, just that given the choice , they would choose to go straight to what they were there for to begin with.

luck,
robert

bbseek

Post by bbseek » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 pm

I actually didn't mean flash INTROs. I was thinking about something very small moving (image or changing text) at one part of the page, such as next to a logo. Somethign not too annoying or distracting, and not an intro that you have to sit through. I've always been ignorant, but used to know a bit more than now. More than 10 years ago I had something called animated GIF that did what I wanted. I guess now it's all flash. Or is it. I know there is something called HTML5, but it's not going to work on every computer at this point. This makes me wonder whether flash works for everybody or not. :ugeek:

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

If you can do what you want with a GIF, there is no reason to mess with a SWF.

milho

Post by milho » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Flash is used widely, but in some cases like Iphones and handset devises no, so keep that in mind because traffic on those machines is increasing

tsambarteanu

Post by tsambarteanu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am

I would never put any flash on any websites. Flash is an old tool to show animations. Just take in consideration that people are using more and more mobile devices like Iphones where flash cannot be visible. So why would you like to have flash on your website? You need to target all the possible audience for your website, regardless of what the user is using, mobile, desktop, laptop, etc. If somebody lands on your site, he/she lands there for a reason, probably because he/she was searching on Google some of your keywords. So you need to get that person interested in what you have on your website immediately, making a use of all that you have on your website, including whatever you want to show whith that flash. So why would you let's say "hide" some info from some people who are using iPhones for example, just because you have a flash which is not visible to them.

Also, it is said that whenever a new user gets on your website, you got 4 seconds to convince that person to go forward and visit other pages of your site as well. So, my opinion is to stop thinking about that old flash, unless you only target desktop users, but I pretty much doubt you do.

Besides this, if flash is still used, it does not mean you have to use it. Mamy they are still using it because they do not know how to develop a site using HTML5, or they simply do not care because they are big enough, or whatever.

So my opinion is that you firstly define your target audience, take in consideration mobile devices usage, and instead of that flash, just use HTML5 or Gif if it is something small. Note that HTML5 is a resource consumer (for users), I only recommend it on small sites, like presentation sites, not on webshops.

I hope this helped.

Return to “General Discussion”