(newspaper article) Could CAPTCHAs get any more annoying?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: (newspaper article) Could CAPTCHAs get any more annoying

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Selene wrote:I've had very good luck with the Q&A CAPTCHA for a couple of years now, but today I had over 20 spammers; most had already activated their accounts when I got online tonight and two or three had posted (fortunately I have "Newly Registered Users" in place so their spam didn't actually get onto the board). My questions are as non-Google-able as I can make them (e.g. "What are the middle three characters in this string? 9*vB#!g+q/k" and "Type U>?'jHn*& into the box in reverse order." etc.) Any suggestions as to how I might be able to tweak my questions to block whatever spambot is defeating my CAPTCHA?
you should only use one question, that way when they figure it out you will know exactly which one is broken.

you simply need to get a new question and it should be good for a long time again.

robert
Selene

Post by Selene »

Thanks, Robert. I'll give that a try.
gemviper2

Post by gemviper2 »

Is there a reason we can't use both a question and re-captcha at the same time? I like this combination since it forces a human to answer the question and if they beat Google's re-captcha Google is learning, recording, improving etc. Using both with perhaps a mod to block some countries from registering would take care of a good portion of the problem.
Lumpy Burgertushie

gemviper2 wrote:Is there a reason we can't use both a question and re-captcha at the same time? I like this combination since it forces a human to answer the question and if they beat Google's re-captcha Google is learning, recording, improving etc. Using both with perhaps a mod to block some countries from registering would take care of a good portion of the problem.
recaptcha was broken long ago. the spam bots have no problem with it nor do they have a problem with the regular gd captcha.

robert
Selene

Post by Selene »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you should only use one question, that way when they figure it out you will know exactly which one is broken.

you simply need to get a new question and it should be good for a long time again.

robert
I did as you suggested, Robert, and so far have had no more problems. Thanks for the tip!

Selene
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
gemviper2 wrote:Is there a reason we can't use both a question and re-captcha at the same time? I like this combination since it forces a human to answer the question and if they beat Google's re-captcha Google is learning, recording, improving etc. Using both with perhaps a mod to block some countries from registering would take care of a good portion of the problem.
recaptcha was broken long ago. the spam bots have no problem with it nor do they have a problem with the regular gd captcha.

robert
Robert is right, a single good question solves the entire problem, nothing more needed. In addition real people do have trouble with recaptcha, I avoid sites with it if at all possible, when I must use it I sometimes need numerous tries to get it right. It should be scrapped completely, not used.
Angoid

Post by Angoid »

Just reading this topic, and as I see it:

1) Yes, visual CAPTCHAs have got very annoying. I've often failed ReCAPTCHA and had to do it twice or more (after which point I give up) but the bots get through it easily because it has been broken. So I've been booted off but never mind: a spambot has taken my place :twisted:

2) Visual CAPTCHAs exclude visually-impaired folk.

3) There is no point in using two CAPTCHAs at the same time, especially if you know one has been broken as the bot will get through that one easily. If the other one stops it, then that's all what is needed.

4) Uniqueness is the key. The developers of spambots maintain a database of questions and answers, so all they have to do is add the questions and answers to their database, and the end users can use it. Once your Q&A has been broken, your board is wide open to attack. Ask yourself: Will your question hold until you can change it again, and will you be able to change it frequently enough to maintain its effectiveness?

A single good question will only be effective until its added to the database. For example, one question I had was this:

How many horizons does Moya Brennan refer to in her album of that title?

Any Moya Brennan fan will know the answer, and others can always ask a friend - but once the answer is known and added to the spambot's database, the question is immediately rendered useless, not only for me but also for anyone else who considers it a good question and is not aware that it has already been broken.

I once developed a CAPTCHA for phpBB2 which obviously died when phpBB2 was desupported. As far as I know, it was accessible too. I never released it here, and in fact was strongly advised not to. It was operational at a small handful of forums. It stopped spambots dead. The key is that because it was only used in a few places, it was not cost-effective to break it, but had it been deployed at hundreds of forums, then it would have been.

That's the bottom line - does it cost more for spammers to break a CAPTCHA than it does not to? If your forum has a unique enough system, then the answer is YES and it will remain unbroken. As more forums use that same system, the answer tends towards NO and chances are, it will be broken at some point.

Basically, a system that hits spammers where it really hurts - in the wallet - is what is needed, and to do so at minimal cost to legitimate end users.
Lumpy Burgertushie

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&h ... n+refer+to

seems that your question was very easy for the bots to break. there was no need for it to be added to any database. the bots copy the question, paste it into search engines and then try whatever answers are returned.

when the answer comes up as the first return, it is not hard for them to figure it out.

robert
AlaneDee
Name: Alane Dee

Post by AlaneDee »

I agree. Captchas stop more humans than bots - I have seen a computer solve a captcha in about the same amount of time it takes a human, assuming the human is right first time. Captchas are now just a waste of time, we have got to start moving towards more logical ways such as registration questions (for example, mine was "Night is to Moon as Day is to ___" which a computer couldn't tell you unless it's really smart - with today's technology, we're really just stuck in the past.
Lumpy Burgertushie

AlaneDee wrote:I agree. Captchas stop more humans than bots - I have seen a computer solve a captcha in about the same amount of time it takes a human, assuming the human is right first time. Captchas are now just a waste of time, we have got to start moving towards more logical ways such as registration questions (for example, mine was "Night is to Moon as Day is to ___" which a computer couldn't tell you unless it's really smart - with today's technology, we're really just stuck in the past.
on the surface, that type of question seems like a good one, however:
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&h ... JqySRqQBnw

look how many returns on that page give the correct answer.

robert
Angoid

Post by Angoid »

This one doesn't though:

"strictly is to BBC as X-factor is to ..."

:D :lol: :D

The type of question is good, but the specific example (for one reason or another) might not be. It indicates that it's worth searching your question online before you use it.

OK, in my example, the answer would be ITV. But unless you're a UK resident, you may not know that (which makes it a poor question).
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

JamesJones88 wrote:These things are totally annoying. It is so much easier when it is a facebook login where you do not have to deal with punching in Captchas. Maybe they will find a way in the future to just read your identity through the computer lol.I mean damn they want to inject us with chips for "medical reasons" yea right! But yes they do stop more humans than bots that's for sure.
You can buy 1,000 Facebook accounts for $3. Relying on that to stop spam would not be a good idea.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Return to “General Discussion”