Purchase a Database Without the Domain Name

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Rhet-or-Ric

Purchase a Database Without the Domain Name

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 pm

I am in discussions concerning the purchase of a database of a forum that was tied to a news site. It is 12 years of data. As I was charged with rebuilding it after a conversion about 4 years ago from ASP to phpBB and was a user admin in its earlier days I am no stranger to that community.

I have already indicated to the present owners that I need some rights to include references to its former name.

Just off the top of my head it had about 80,000 members at its peak. Quite a large regular community of posters that visited at least 3 times a week. I hadn't been very active for the last couple of years. Disassociated myself completely after an issue of censorship imposed by a large media group upon the smaller company that owned the forum.

Anyone ever purchased a database under such circumstances? And could offer advice? Or ask enlightening questions? Or anything? I'm in territory I've never read about. Of course, never experienced.

Thank you.

PinoyEngine™

Re: Purchase a Database Without the Domain Name

Post by PinoyEngine™ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Here I think are the issues that are going to raise about that:

1. First, without the domain name. So, you bought the database along with the member's details, but are these member know where to login? You think the old database owner's active members will transfer to you? Those members know the *old* domain, not your domain
2. Second, Are you sure that you will have the database alone? Well, you know if others can have it and use it you will have duplicate content, and forums usually get traffic from SE, if Google penalized that forum for duplicate content, everything is useless.

a cent per number.

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:28 am

I haven't purchased the item, yet. Still in the very early preliminaries.

Your thoughts on who retains what of the database was already one of the items on my list, but we haven't gotten that far in the discussion.

Right now I am compiling stats and as the forum is still on the server as it was when they locked it I am asking for a screen shot of the landing page to go with all the stats that can be put together.

I seem to have already gained assurances that I'll be able to identify the forum as it was previously known as, but for how long hasn't been discussed, yet.

I will also ask for a redirect page for a certain period of time.

I'm sure there are other issues I've not thought of yet, but I can't seem to locate any information from some other folks that have done anything like this. I don't believe for one moment this is a first on the Net, so that's why I'm asking around.

Oh yes, the issue of the members in the database, that better be included in the package or I think we have a problem. I'm not interested in the database for a museum piece. I want to bring it back to life.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

What about a privacy policy on the existing site? Do they even have the right to sell or even transfer (for free) the data to a third party? If they do not have a clause specifying that they can do that, and you buy the data, you're potentially going to have a lot of unhappy people on your hands.

I get that you're trying to relaunch the site, and most folks would (or should) view that as a positive outcome. Yet there will be some that are going to be a problem. It might be better to start with a fresh database and simply pay for some sort of announcement on the prior site that it's being relaunched under your management. Or negotiate a "one time only" use of the mailing list from the prior database to send out email from the original site.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “General Discussion”