Windows 8.1 - Will you be upgrading?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Windows 8.1 - Will you be upgrading?

Post by Danielx64 »

Ok Windows 8.1 was out the door several days back, I'm just wondering if any of you are going to be upgrading?

I was one of those first people who tried out the new OS when it was released last year and I wasn't happy. Now that 8.1 is out, I'm going to give it a second chance and see if it really is any better.

Anyone else here going to give this OS a second chance or are you going to stick with windows 7 or even XP?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Darlof
Former Team Member
Name: Darrell

Re: Windows 8.1 - Will you be upgrading?

Post by Darlof »

I havent tried 8 since the beta, and I wasnt too happy with it. Im sure if I gave it a chance Id get use to it. As for now, Im keeping XP, 7, and Ubuntu/LM on mine
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I was dragged kicking and screaming to WP from 98, I was dragged kicking and screaming from WP to 7 and I look forward to the dragging sometime in the next few years to 8. (unless I get plum crazy and switch to linux).

robertr
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

I had win8 installed for bout a hour and went back to win7 but since I have to reinstall on my laptop im gonna try 8.1
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

I have 4 computers set up on a home network. One of the computers has Windows-7 on it, one has Linux Mint, and the other two have Windows XP. I prefer Linux Mint to ANY Windows operating system, with the exception of maybe Windows 2000. In my opinion Windows 2000 was a really good operating system and I tend to think it was the best one Microsoft ever had. I have no intention whatsoever of buying Windows 8 and even if they gave it to me I wouldn't install it. I have tried it on a friend's computer on three separate occasions and I didn't care for it at all. I do know of three people who bought laptops with Windows 8 and they took them back and exchanged them for laptops with Windows-7 instead. From what I have read I would have to say that Windows 8 has not been as well received as Microsoft had hoped it would be.

Personally I think the day will come when Windows operating systems will simply go away and I don't think that day is going to be very far away either.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

I have 8.1 setup as a VM. It's better than 8, but not by much. As for the host machines - all of them them run Windows 7. 8-)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

bprsk8r4272 wrote:I had win8 installed for bout a hour and went back to win7 but since I have to reinstall on my laptop im gonna try 8.1

That what happen when I tried out Windows 8 when it came out, I was like WTF - this is much better on a tablet than a desktop computer. At lease it felt faster than windows 7 :)

I installed 8.1 in a VM last night then installed classic shell and applied a hack to remove the ribbon UI from Windows 8 Explorer.

I'm still making up my mind over to install it as a main OS.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

*Daniel wrote:
bprsk8r4272 wrote:I had win8 installed for bout a hour and went back to win7 but since I have to reinstall on my laptop im gonna try 8.1

That what happen when I tried out Windows 8 when it came out, I was like WTF - this is much better on a tablet than a desktop computer. At lease it felt faster than windows 7 :)

I installed 8.1 in a VM last night then installed classic shell and applied a hack to remove the ribbon UI from Windows 8 Explorer.

I'm still making up my mind over to install it as a main OS.
yeah I tried 8.1 with classic shell but ended up reverting from recovery image back to win7
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I've stuck with W7 since 8 came out. I don't like 8 that much, so no I won't be upgrading to 8, let alone 8.1.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

*Daniel wrote:applied a hack to remove the ribbon UI from Windows 8 Explorer
This is actually one of the features I like in 8 and 8.1. I'm curious why you want to remove it.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

t_backoff wrote:
*Daniel wrote:applied a hack to remove the ribbon UI from Windows 8 Explorer
This is actually one of the features I like in 8 and 8.1. I'm curious why you want to remove it.
It just doesn't go all that well with me - while I liked it in ms office 2010 I felt that it went a little too far. I can undo the change later so that I can give it a go again. I also renamed 'this pc' to 'computer' as well.
AndroidOS

Post by AndroidOS »

I have 8.1 installed mainly because I have to, but I don't boot up into it very often. Windows 8(.1) is great on a tablet, but it's just not for desktop. For most of my work, I just use Linux Mint.
Cryo
Name: Chris

Post by Cryo »

Hell No, I will stay with Windows 7 :lol:
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

The other night I decided to install 8.1 as my main OS and while I'm not 100% happy, it would say for now that it is better. I'm going to try and see if I can run this OS for 30+ days without going back to windows 7 :mrgreen:
Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

*Daniel wrote:The other night I decided to install 8.1 as my main OS and while I'm not 100% happy, it would say for now that it is better. I'm going to try and see if I can run this OS for 30+ days without going back to windows 7 :mrgreen:
good luck with that
if I would have installed win8 first then upgrade to 8.1 I prolly would of left it for now but I went straight to win8.1 I read online you could change the xxxxxx once installed but nope that didn't work

Return to “General Discussion”