Windows 8.1 - Will you be upgrading?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Re: Windows 8.1 - Will you be upgrading?

Post by Danielx64 »

bprsk8r4272 wrote:
*Daniel wrote:The other night I decided to install 8.1 as my main OS and while I'm not 100% happy, it would say for now that it is better. I'm going to try and see if I can run this OS for 30+ days without going back to windows 7 :mrgreen:
good luck with that
if I would have installed win8 first then upgrade to 8.1 I prolly would of left it for now but I went straight to win8.1 I read online you could change the xxxxxx once installed but nope that didn't work
What most of those guide fail to tell you that you need to enter the key via slmgr /ipk <enter key> and that should do the job. You use a generic key to install first.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy »

i think i need to upgrade the windows
as they had added start button to it...
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

Ephemeraboy wrote:i think i need to upgrade the windows
as they had added start button to it...
a start button that does nothing but bring you to the crappy apps desktop or whatever it called lol
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Ok I have been able to run this OS for more than 30 days without going back to windows 7. While I did reinstall windows 8.1 several times, that was only because of some configuration changes that I wanted to made and I could only do that at install time. One being going from the old BIOS to UFEI mode and going from MBR to GPT hard drives.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

Danielx64 wrote:What most of those guide fail to tell you that you need to enter the key via slmgr /ipk <enter key> and that should do the job. You use a generic key to install first.
that's what I did it did not work
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

No way. Touch screens have their (mobile) uses but I don't want one on my desk. I will be sticking with Windows 7. If the only Windows offering is still touch screen orientated when I need to change I will switch to Linux.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

bprsk8r4272 wrote:
Danielx64 wrote:What most of those guide fail to tell you that you need to enter the key via slmgr /ipk <enter key> and that should do the job. You use a generic key to install first.
That rather strange, did you run CMD as admin? I should have pointed that out before.
Pond Life wrote:
No way. Touch screens have their (mobile) uses but I don't want one on my desk. I will be sticking with Windows 7. If the only Windows offering is still touch screen orientated when I need to change I will switch to Linux.
Well you can install several apps to get your windows 7 style back like I've done.
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

Why would I want to install 'apps' to get back something I already have? :? I would rather switch to Linux than buy something that's not fit for purpose without having to modify it. MS seem to be changing their OS to mobile, which is useless to me for a work machine.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why do you think you have to have a touch screen to use it?

I agree it was more or less designed for that, but you can use the standard windows 8 without having to have a touch screen.
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

I know I don't have to have a touch screen but I see no point in 'upgrading' to something that's not designed for the purpose I need. I don't buy a van and have panels removed to fit windows, I buy a car.
Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

Danielx64 wrote:
bprsk8r4272 wrote:
That rather strange, did you run CMD as admin? I should have pointed that out before.
prolly not but if I reinstall it i'll just install 8 then upgrade to 8.1
Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

well I feel slow lol the problem was I had to call windows and get the confirmation id
got bored yesterday and loaded win 8 pro 64-bit with media center then upgraded to 8.1 through the store
rayminator
Name: raymond green

Post by rayminator »

nope i am not planning to upgrade windows 8 until all my games are compatible for windows 8
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

/a3 wrote:Windows PRISM edition? No thanks. :ugeek:

A look at the black underbelly of Windows 8.1 'Blue'
:shock:
Well that's it for me, when I do eventually need a new OS it will be Linux based.
The new Win8.1 Smart Search -- invoked by default through the Windows 8.1 Search charm -- not only searches your computer for the string you specify. It also, all by itself, gathers up the terms and runs them through a Bing search. Making this cool new feature all the more lovable, Microsoft has officially announced that advertisers will be able to dish up advertising to your computer, based on the searches you perform on your computer.
My computer is mine, I paid for it, it is my tool to use as I see fit. It IS NOT your @*!&*ing advertising hording Microsoft. I use my computer for work as well as play and I will not risk the security of my clients' data just so you can try to sell me !$*@ I don't want or need. :evil:

Return to “General Discussion”