Facebook groups major competitor to forums!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
olsserik

Facebook groups major competitor to forums!

Post by olsserik » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi,
I have an quite large forum and starting to get a real headache due to members (espacially one targeted group) shifting from my forum to Facebook groups. Moreover it seems to be high activity in these groups, it´s fast, it´s many pictures which seems to be the recipe.

I guess one of the biggest mistakes I made was that I did not adapt to mobile revolution, but I guess there is hard to compete with fb when people log in there every day to see other things than just these groups.

I dont want to scream judgement day, but my loss is severe so far and if this trend continue I guess fb defeated me. And if so, I guess it not only affects me.

So, whats your opinion, and what could be done?

olsserik

Re: Facebook groups major competitor to forums!

Post by olsserik » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:27 pm

10K views and no reply?

There must be a whole bunch of phpbbers that has big forums and are vulnerable to this?

Or am I way off here?

Eitherway I think it would be a good thing to talk about...

whaturmuva

Post by whaturmuva » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Facebook adds ease as it provides a good deal of notifications as well as most people are already registered so there is no real signup when joining a group.

I've been able to combat this by using a few tools to auto update a facebook page with forum/blog posts from my site. People get notified through facebook to come to the site and reply. It's worked pretty well thus far.

Leafy

Post by Leafy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Facebook needn't be an issue. I've just added Tapatalk and a mobile ready style to my forum and essentially killed an FB group in the process. The difference in how busy our forum is is astounding :D

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Just sync your forum with the relevant Facebook group (similar to Newssync for USENET) and then problem solved.

adityasingh
I've Been Banned!

Post by adityasingh » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 am

Facebook group can be easily accessible.

mrjon

Post by mrjon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:00 pm

What if you could add what facebook has? I remember years ago i helped mange a big forum. And it was mostly a forum with pictures. So that's what kept people coming back. The pictures.

I've been working on a new forum. And the main topic is mostly going to be about adding pictures.

Even in facebook i mostly look at pictures.

Wirral Talk

Post by Wirral Talk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 pm

If you can't beat them, join them. Integrating facebook with your forum is the only way to compete. I can't be bothered with facebook but I see integration with twitter as a necessity and twitter can never compete with a full blown forum.

Facebook will die out (that could be a quotable quote in a 1000 years :oops: ), everytime they make major changes, more and more people hit the exit button, I think people get too engrossed/addicted to it then are waiting for a good reason to get rid of it.

Zaishen

Post by Zaishen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

facebook is owned by NSA (national security agency) they created it to be able to control the ppl, and get information easly from you, me, from everyone, to know what u talk, what you think, etc
same as the free windows 7 activated with updates, they use this strategy to control us
maybe that have a good side to stop terrorists and criminals, but i bet there is a dark side on all that

they killed the irc-servers for that

noth

Post by noth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:10 pm

olsserik I think the reason you have had so few replies to your thread (which is great) is that we just have so few ideas in combating the competition you have quite rightly identified
I guess one of the biggest mistakes I made was that I did not adapt to mobile revolution, but I guess there is hard to compete with fb when people log in there every day to see other things than just these groups.
you are inferring that Facebook adapted to mobile revolution whereas you did not

it's not that simple, we have some great "mobile styles" and IMHO tapatalk certainly is not the answer, you're just handing your database to a commercial third party who can display your threads however they want to, with whatever adverts they want as well! our own mobile styles do the job but of course all the glam styles you may have installed are bypassed

yes it is hard to compete with fb when people log in there every day to see other things than just these groups but thankfully IMHO at least hosts seem to be charging a lot less for our forums than 10 years ago, from what I can see the charges have hardly moved in 10 years so from my angle I see maintaining a forum as cheap money and .... you do see loyal members coming back from years ago, that is what keeps me going, also a slow trickle of new ones :mrgreen:

so I think FB groups have put a dent in forums and this thread is a great place to keep ideas on "what to do about it" mind you, 6 months on 8-)

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Well I've finally succumbed to facebook :cry: I've recently closed a forum that I've run for 10 years, it's just died a very slow death over the past 12 months or so.

The worrying thing is that I recently started a new forum (Much more targeted/specific which I think/thought was the way to go) but it's just not taking off :cry: I recently started a topic on there with the title "May have to close the site"

This topic automatically gets posted to a facebook page, and guess what? There are replies there on FB, but not on the actual forum :| So that's 1-0 to facebook right there.

It's sad that some forums seem to be losing the war against facebook, especially as we put so much time into running them. I hate facebook personally, it's such a bland, boring site full of people who 'think' they are running a 'website'. It doesn't even have a scroll to top button for god sake, so annoying.

noth

Post by noth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:34 pm

exactly

and a new development even more amazing, forums THAT REQUIRE YOU to be a member of facebook before you can join the forum :shock: I just saw this 5 minutes ago for the first time!!

not only that, you have to sign in to the Forum FROM FACEBOOK example see if you can find the Registration button/ form :mrgreen:

Facebook and Twitter do seem to be trumping forums for definite but don't be bulldozed into closing your site, really think about it, in my case I hung on for a few months and sure enough a good crowd did roll back, it just takes 1 or 2 good members to start replying on threads again and "you're back" :D

Holger

Post by Holger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Volksdevil wrote:I hate facebook personally, it's such a bland, boring site full of people who 'think' they are running a 'website'. It doesn't even have a scroll to top button for god sake, so annoying.
noth wrote:Facebook and Twitter do seem to be trumping forums for definite but don't be bulldozed into closing your site, really think about it, in my case I hung on for a few months and sure enough a good crowd did roll back, it just takes 1 or 2 good members to start replying on threads again and "you're back" :D
^this!

Dont give up!
Even if your site gets less traffic, just let it run!

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeah that's what I did for a while, to be honest it probably died over more like 2 years. It was fun while it lasted and I met some cool people through it.

People just stopped using it and used FB instead :-( Sad as I think the one thing that a forum has over FB is that community feeling. Frustrating that my new forum isn't taking off though now, and it's literally the only forum in the world dedicated to a specific model of car!? :|

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:06 am

Volksdevil wrote:Well I've finally succumbed to facebook :cry: I've recently closed a forum that I've run for 10 years, it's just died a very slow death over the past 12 months or so.

The worrying thing is that I recently started a new forum (Much more targeted/specific which I think/thought was the way to go) but it's just not taking off :cry: I recently started a topic on there with the title "May have to close the site"

This topic automatically gets posted to a facebook page, and guess what? There are replies there on FB, but not on the actual forum :| So that's 1-0 to facebook right there.
But you enabled it, you have effectively handed control of your forum to FB. It will die eventually because there will be no posts on the forum to post to FB. :roll:

I don't accept that FB is an alternative to forums, when I'm searching for information on any given subject I use a search engine which invariably points me at a number of forums and/or blogs that answer my question but I've never been directed to FB.

I did have an account on FB for a while because it seemed that every business on the planet needed a FB page but I soon learned that's nonsense. I closed my account when we decided that we didn't want to associate our business with such a morally corrupt organization. The business hasn't suffered in the slightest by not being on that awful site.

Return to “General Discussion”