It may as well be in French

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mals69

It may as well be in French

Post by mals69 »

Been at this a few years now, was reading through the below topic and even people saying they are new
to php have an already way better grasp on the language than me. Watched 10 videos on php on youtube so have made a start. Do you think like in other area's of life some people just have a natural inclination for programming and if you do not it will always be an up hill battle, or is the bulk of it learning the language ? How did you learn php and resources you used ?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: It may as well be in French

Post by Mick »

mals69 wrote:How did you learn php and resources you used ?
I had a friend who was a professional assembler coder, and a bloody good one at that, back in 1982-ish, I learned tons from him and I carried on with different codes until this day. Assembler is a very powerful language, a dot or a comma in the wrong place and "BOOM" your PC is locked up and needs restarting, CTRL ALT DEL doesn't work in situations like that. The only place back in the day to get help was college, telephone/compuserve, books or your friends etc. These days anything you want to know, programming wise, is available via Google. If you really want to learn PHP research the subject using your favourite search engine, there are hundreds of sites out there dealing with professionals and hobbyists alike on whatever type of coding you're interested in. I don't profess to be a PHP coder but I can get by because I played :D
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
mals69

Post by mals69 »

Thank you for your post Mick.

The route I took was wrong, I was financially strapped and was eager to put a site online so I could make some money. Trouble was I had no prior experience, didn't even know how to put a site online little lone program.
Came in at the deep end and as in the title "It may as well be in French" , think learning curve would have been greater starting with the basics of html - learning the language. Having your city destroyed by an earthquake has not helped matters either.

Recommend this guy for learning php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5P9sZqFas
draky
Name: Gilles W.

Post by draky »

- "French"
+ "Hebrew" or "Chinese" :p
Holger

Post by Holger »

I learned a lot about PHP by adding mods manually to my forums (heavily modded).
chuanist
Name: Glen Kohler

Post by chuanist »

It sure isn't a natural language for me. I sat down with PHP5 and MySQL Bible and pushed myself to attempt the first example scripts. As has been said, a missing period or misplaced square bracket meant that either nothing happened, or only the misbegotten code appeared after clicking a link that was supposed to cause other information to appear on the response page.

Could be I'm just past the age of easy learning, but even so I managed to get dynamic content to appear on web pages, and thanks to a pre-packaged php editing solution, information can be easily added to various categories as need arises. This gives me sufficient rewards (money, enjoyment, interest) to prod me along to other aspects of the code.

Phpbb is just intriguing, and I have one application for it that I want to try out as soon as I get up to speed on the installation.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Holger wrote:I learned a lot about PHP by adding mods manually to my forums (heavily modded).
Same here. Whatever I know about PHP (and even got introduced to HTMl/CSS/JavaScript to some extent) has been because of tinkering with phpBB MODs in 2.0 (Attachment MOD anyone?) and 3.0 and now Extensions. Of course already having a background in programming helped but I would probably have never touched PHP had it not been for phpBB. Other technologies, languages, and formats followed after that as well.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

I learnt primarily from tinkering with phpBB and then got involved in/used other projects such as Symfony & Composer which is a really important step to take as it helps 'getting off the island'. Afterall how can you bring new modern techniques and technologies into an application like phpBB when nobody working on it has any experience with anything except phpBB?

There are very few good places to learn php but http://phpbridge.org/intro-to-php/ was recently created by php women (One of the largest PHP user groups) and is a really good site to get started. http://www.phptherightway.com/ can then help you 'upgrade' your skills and teaches about modern web development techniques, OOP and how to use PHP 'the right way' instead of just 'the way that works'.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
mals69

Post by mals69 »

chuanist wrote:pre-packaged php editing solution
Can you recommend a good one please ?

Cheers all for sharing - good ideas, those links are great.
KatieFox

Post by KatieFox »

Is PHP anything like Java? I just started learning Java in college. I believe we will be learning PHP next semester.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not so much.
just to be clear. you do not need to know any programming languages to be able to use phpbb bulletin board software. you don't even need to know html/css

you can install any and all MODs/extensions/styles etc. without knowing any programming.

if you can follow instructions and can copy/paste and use ftp then that is all you need to be able to use/customize phpbb to your liking.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Twisted Fairytale

Post by Twisted Fairytale »

I actually haven't learned much PHP other than what I need to modify bits and pieces. I keep telling myself that I need to learn, but I never have the time. However, I've heard that hands-on experience is probably the best. For example, setting up a forum and working with the php there. Like others have said, I may pull some mods apart as well when I get around to it.
Twisted Fairytale
Forum Promotion
Community Administrator
KatieFox

Post by KatieFox »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:not so much.
just to be clear. you do not need to know any programming languages to be able to use phpbb bulletin board software. you don't even need to know html/css

you can install any and all MODs/extensions/styles etc. without knowing any programming.

if you can follow instructions and can copy/paste and use ftp then that is all you need to be able to use/customize phpbb to your liking.

robert

Awesome! Thanks. I always wanted to create a forum but was intimidated by my lack of knowledge of PHP.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

first, you need a domain name and a hosting account somewhere. you can do it using free stuff but you won't have any control over your site and if the free place goes away, you lose everything.

then, Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB

then come back here and read up on how to download and install phpbb.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “General Discussion”