Irony

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: Irony

Post by darcie »

The team members here are volunteers, just like any other member of this site. We do this because we love the project and believe in it. We each do our own personal best to help where we can. But we're not "the commercial equivalent". And I think that's a good thing. :)

I'm sorry you'd run the site differently than we choose to do so. I'd be happy to hear more of your specific concerns if you'd like to PM me.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

mals69 wrote:If everytime you went into mc donalds and ordered a big mac and 100 people that ordered After you got their burger before you would you be very happy ?
Just to add to what darcie said, alot of support questions are answered in order. There are a slight few that may get skipped. I can personally attest that when I was on the Support Team, I would not respond to topics where I wasn't sure what the correct answer was. I'd rather know what I'm talking about than offer improper advice and possibly cause more issues than the original issue itself.

Using the same logic you used - if you ordered a Big Mac and they continuously gave you the wrong burger and you had to keep returning to the counter to get it corrected, would you be happy?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I wonder....

If things around here are so bad why are you still hanging around after so long?
If phpbb is not what you want then please feel free to move on to some commercial product that gives you
the type of product and support that you think you should have.

good luck,

robert
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

mals69 wrote:maybe immigrating to Australia would suit - plenty of Ostrich's there !
Possibly Africa?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
mals69

Post by mals69 »

Possibly Africa?
There's plenty of Ostrich's in Australia but more sand to put your head under.

WoW wow if only this passion by support staff was shown in support - why the difference ? Perhaps could it be when you value something you put more effort in ? A user is wanting support for something they value.

396 hours later and still no answer viewtopic.php?f=71&t=2255501

No there is no problem here that is why there are hoards of users in here in supporting support staff.

"We are all volunteers is bandied about like its a magical shield for slackness" Thank god none of you to my knowledge work for the red cross.

There could be no problem if we worked together to find a solution ?

Here is one possible solution that meets you half way: Have a topic labeled Crucial,
after one week if a user has not had their query answered they have the ability to
place their topic into the Crucial topic - where it is given top priority by support staff,
this will also give support staff a probably much needed challenge, furthering their knowledge base ?
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by darcie »

You're asking for support for something we don't provide support for, namely the Coppermine gallery. It seems to like solutions have been provided, but you want something different for reasons that aren't completely clear. There hasn't been no answer, as you say. There simply hasn't been the answer you're looking for. :?

As I mentioned, the staff we do have here, myself included, volunteers to be here. We're selected from those that offer support on the site, so yes, users providing support is an essential part of the way this board operates. We provide assistance with our product and what you can do with it. We can give as much information as we have on how to best accomplish your objective, when given enough information. But at this time, our support staff researching how to connect (but not bridge?) phpBB to Coppermine in a different way than already exists is simply not our first priority. We are happy, however, to leave the topic available so another community member can chime in. Should you find a solution, you're certainly encouraged to post in your topic what worked for you in the event that someone later hopes to accomplish the same. I feel like you have a fundamental misunderstanding as to the purpose and design of the way we operate, and I would be happy to work out the details and hear more of your suggestions by PM. Let's work together to find a solution. :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as to your concern about your other post not being answered;
it was answers several different times. you just don't like the answers so you keep complaining about it.

you seem to forget that the main point of this particular support board is members helping/supporting members.
there is a support staff, but they are not required to answer any questions unless they feel like it.

you make disparaging remarks about the concept of "volunteers" etc. but the fact remains that this is not paid for software, you should not expect the same type of support situation that you would get from a paid product and/or paid support.
( I don't mean the support here is any less professional, just not as fast as some would like it ).

this is not a democracy, it is not a place where the users get to demand anything or even to vote on how things get run around here. opinions and suggestions are welcome from what I can tell but constant complaining about how things are run does push the wrong buttons for some of us that do offer our help in our free time and don't ask much more than an occasional "thanks" for it.

robert
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:as to your concern about your other post not being answered;
it was answers several different times. you just don't like the answers so you keep complaining about it.
Yup. Anything not his opinion he derides the person.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
mals69

Post by mals69 »

That is just your opinion Micheal - from my vantage point it counts for very little.

Think Robert summed it up - as inviting as Treblinka.

Your business how you run things round here but a god complex will never
trump a foundation built on love.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

mals69 wrote:That is just your opinion Micheal - from my vantage point it counts for very little.

Yes, it is my opinion.

Built on love, you say?
mals69 wrote:
Possibly Africa?
There's plenty of Ostrich's in Australia but more sand to put your head under.

WoW wow if only this passion by support staff was shown in support - why the difference ? Perhaps could it be when you value something you put more effort in ? A user is wanting support for something they value.

396 hours later and still no answer viewtopic.php?f=71&t=2255501

No there is no problem here that is why there are hoards of users in here in supporting support staff.

"We are all volunteers is bandied about like its a magical shield for slackness" Thank god none of you to my knowledge work for the red cross.

There could be no problem if we worked together to find a solution ?

Here is one possible solution that meets you half way: Have a topic labeled Crucial,
after one week if a user has not had their query answered they have the ability to
place their topic into the Crucial topic - where it is given top priority by support staff,
this will also give support staff a probably much needed challenge, furthering their knowledge base ?
Please do share how telling someone to stick their head in the sand is love. Because from where I sit, you only want to whine and complain. Here people are, responding to your complaints, and you choose to insult.
mals69 wrote:Your business how you run things round here but a god complex will never
Nobody here but you seems to think they are better than someone else.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by darcie »

mals69 wrote:That is just your opinion Micheal - from my vantage point it counts for very little.

I'm not sure why you've decided to return to this topic after nearly four months. I've made it fairly clear that I am open to constructive feedback by PM regarding your concerns. I've invited you to contact me more than once in this topic. At this point, nothing constructive is being offered. If you'd like to make this site a more welcoming, friendly place, please contact me. I'm all ears. :D
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

darcie wrote:
... ... ... truncated ... ... ...

If you'd like to make this site a more welcoming, friendly place, please contact me. I'm all ears. :D
Just so I am clear on that next to the last line, you mean the particular invidual on this particular point raised in this particular thread should be contacting you on opinions about how to make this a better community, right?

You are not indicating that all community improvement suggestions should only be communicated to you via PM, right?

Everyone else, or most everyone else, can post such community improvement suggestions here in General Discussions, right?
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by darcie »

Rhet-or-Ric wrote:You are not indicating that all community improvement suggestions should only be communicated to you via PM, right?

Everyone else, or most everyone else, can post such community improvement suggestions here in General Discussions, right?
General Discussion is generally for discussion. If you'd like to discuss something that the community might take an interest in that is a non-phpBB specific topic, this is the place. This is not the place to complain repeatedly about things being wrong without an offer of how to make an improvement, as the OP has done so far. And this is not the place for community development discussion, no.

Despite my grand plans that I could leave the topic open (I really prefer to not lock topics), I must close it. If you have questions or concerns about site rules or where to post, or you feel at any time you have been mistreated somewhere on this site, please PM me. :)

Return to “General Discussion”