Speedtest

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Speedtest

Post by Brf »

My internet here at home went dead earlier today. It seems my Zoom cable modem had never provisioned properly. Once they re-provisioned it, here is my speedtest:
Attachments
3721187462[1].png
3721187462[1].png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 19740 times

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Re: Speedtest

Post by Danielx64 »

Brf wrote:My internet here at home went dead earlier today. It seems my Zoom cable modem had never provisioned properly. Once they re-provisioned it, here is my speedtest:
How did that happen? (wasn't provisioned properly)

Here's one from a network that I'm on now:
3721409090.png
3721409090.png (31.02 KiB) Viewed 19496 times
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Danielx64 wrote:How did that happen? (wasn't provisioned properly)
The last time Comcast upgraded our network, they sent out snailmails saying we needed to upgrade our modems. When I bought the new Zoom modem and activated it, it came up as "unknown device".
Apparently, yesterday, Comcast upgraded our network again, and cleaned off the old obsolete devices from our accounts. Since my current modem was "unknown device", they clean that one off, and left the older one on the account. For some reason, the newer modem could not be activated automatically either. I had to have the "activation department" activate it manually.
Danielx64 wrote:Here's one from a network that I'm on now:
Whenever I see the AT&T advertisements for DSL internet saying how "fast" they are, I laugh at the smallprint at the bottom of the screen that says it is 6-Mb down. With Comcast cable internet, I have not had slow speeds like that for over 15 years.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I am lucky if I can get 2mbs down with clearwire.

my sister just had at&t uverse put in that was billed as 6mbs down. the installer told her that she would be lucky to get 3mbs because she is so far from the switch. her house is right down the driveway from my house and they put the new line in right across my driveway. however, the at&t support tells me that it is not available at my house.

sometimes I just want to strangle support people..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

robert

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Ha-ha-ha-ha....
I remember when I downloaded my first MP3 with cable fifteen years ago. The download countdown timer went 3-minutes - 3-seconds - done.

cleverwise
Name: Jeremy

Post by cleverwise »

That is very good for broadband in the US. Of course now Google and AT&T are beginning to offer 1 Gbps; really thanks to Google doing it.

AT&T Uverse has only been available in about 25% of their area which is crazy. AT&T is so slow to roll out new technology. At my home I use AT&T Uverse (with a static ip for digital security - VPNs, firewall whitelisting, etc). That is something Comcast can't do unless you go Comcast business. My residence can get AT&T's 45Mbps service but I only pay for 20Mbps and get about 22Mbps which is a nice little boost over the official speed.

advocatus

Post by advocatus »

Attachments
3763028558.png
3763028558.png (31.25 KiB) Viewed 13049 times

Lumpy Burgertushie

I hope you know that that device has no bearing on your internet speed.

your internet speed is determined by your internet provider. if you have poor equipment it can make your speeds slow down but nothing you can do can make your speeds any faster than what comes to you from the provider.

as for that wireless adapter, it can only give you wireless speeds available from your wireless router.

If your wireless router does not offer 802.11ac then you won't have it using that adapter either.

also, just FYI, the new AC wireless stuff is not really any faster. the specs for it are really no faster than N300. the AC mainly gives you cleaner signals and your signal will transmit and receive further than N does.

luck,
robert

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Not that it's going to make you feel any better but I've just had a free upgrade from my provider:
3714835205.png
3714835205.png (31.53 KiB) Viewed 12953 times
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Gotta love those download speeds.
I remember downloading the Diablo2 beta stress test. 100Meg took 8-hours at 56K. At these new speeds you could download it in less than a minute, if Blizzard could handle it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

you guys are just mean. this is what mine was yesterday.

I am on clearwire wireless internet service here in central texas.

robert

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Not bad at all, since iam sitting outside using wifi :P
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

That is unfortunate you have such slow Internet speeds Robert. My mobile phone rarely goes below 3Mbps and is usually 8Mbps+, averages around 11Mbps, without using LTE which is even faster.

My latest run:
Attachments
3766887948.png
3766887948.png (31.37 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

Lumpy Burgertushie

cleverwise wrote:That is unfortunate you have such slow Internet speeds Robert. My mobile phone rarely goes below 3Mbps and is usually 8Mbps+, averages around 11Mbps, without using LTE which is even faster.

My latest run:
thanks, I only have /want a basic simple phone for making and getting phone calls.

I don't even have texting on my phone, I had it turned off.

however, I might have to go ahead and get a "smart" phone just to get faster speeds.

the only problem with them is the data caps and the cost. I pay 57 USD a month for my interent. no data caps. I average over 100 gigs a month so the measly 2 or 3 or 10 gigs cap on cell phone plans simply would not do for me.

robert

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

Well Tmobile has a truly unlimited plan at $80/month. That might work for you.

Return to “General Discussion”