Speedtest

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
cleverwise
Name: Jeremy

Re: Speedtest

Post by cleverwise »

Mick wrote:What I don't understand is, back in 2000 I was doing some work for a famous chip manufacturer in Essex England who were destruction testing electronics designated for the internet. They had systems running faultlessly (apart from the AC bill to keep it all cool) well in excess of 100MBs in 2000 so how come we're still struggling to get the average household over 50MB? Nearly fifteen years and we're still struggling.
Lack of true competition is a main cause. For example where I live the major cable company and phone company pretty much just copy each other. Second there isn't much demand over all for faster speeds.

Let's face it for standard surfing like emailing, Facebooking, Tweeting, phpBBing ;), even watching some Youtube or Netflix a 10MB or so connection works well. So while us more geeky ones (me included) would like to see 100MB or so the average person doesn't really care.

Heck I know families still on 1.5Mbps old style DSL and don't care. I have tried talking them into upgrading and they say it is fast enough and works fine. I would go crazy on 1.5Mbps and can't stand it when helping them out. When I am at their house I just use my cell data connection which is rarely below 8Mbps and more often 12Mbps+. I had an Uncle paying for just 5Mbps until just about two years ago. The only reason he upgraded was because he switched companies and got a bundled higher speed.

If you look at many internal private LAN's at corporations 1GB is extremely common. Plus now at many datacenters a growing number have 1Gbps per connection and some are moving toward 10Gbps for their Internet connections. Internally many datacenter are now on 1Gbps and several are beginning to run 10Gbps LANs. I know of one hosting company that offers a 40Gbps connection to their dedicated servers. So the issue again is the ISPes, although commercially there are often more choices.

Bottomline: The teleco's lack of really caring and the public not really demanding faster speed (at least in any high numbers).

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Mick wrote:What I don't understand is, back in 2000 I was doing some work for a famous chip manufacturer in Essex England who were destruction testing electronics designated for the internet. They had systems running faultlessly (apart from the AC bill to keep it all cool) well in excess of 100MBs in 2000 so how come we're still struggling to get the average household over 50MB? Nearly fifteen years and we're still struggling.
What I don't understand is why Webhosts are able to give people so much data that they can use for their website (bandwidth) cheaply while the average internet plan here cost an arm and a leg?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Danielx64 wrote:
What I don't understand is why Webhosts are able to give people so much data that they can use for their website (bandwidth) cheaply while the average internet plan here cost an arm and a leg?
they play the odds. probably 95% of their customers only use a very very small portion of the disk space or bandwidth that they sell in their plans.

they oversell the accounts, they offer "unlimited" everything counting on most people never even using a small amount of it.

robert

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

While that's true, there also plans (home internet) where you can get 100GB of data, how many people chew that in 30 days?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

A lot of the problem is transmission infrastructure.
You can run Gigabit on a copper wire -- for 100 meters. It is not possible to run at speeds like that cross-country unless you have fiber. Where I work, business-fiber just became available a few months ago through AT&T. Comcast does not have fiber here because the businesses do not want to share the 100K$ cost to string it.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Brf wrote:A lot of the problem is transmission infrastructure.
You can run Gigabit on a copper wire -- for 100 meters. It is not possible to run at speeds like that cross-country unless you have fiber. Where I work, business-fiber just became available a few months ago through AT&T. Comcast does not have fiber here because the businesses do not want to share the 100K$ cost to string it.
While I understand that, where does the fact that we pay much more for data (not speed) than webhosts come into play?

Here in Australia I can get a free webhost with 1GB of bandwidth for nothing yet for me to have that same data on my phone it would cost $15

Lumpy Burgertushie

like I said, they assume that you will never use bandwidth on your hosting account but the phone companies assume that you will. and you probably will if you stay on facebook 24/7 like most FB users do and/or if you are texting constantly etc.
personaly, I go through an average of 30GB a month of data on my ISP plan and that is without downloading any movies. I am online, at least 18 hours a day. I am on this board most of that time. I use ftp all day, etc. etc. I was shocked how much bandwidth I was using for my normal day's activity.

anyway, speed and bandwidth are of course two different things.

those 30GB of data I use each month is usually travelling at close to dialup speeds on most days but I still use it, no matter how long it takes me to do so.

robert

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Danielx64 wrote: While I understand that, where does the fact that we pay much more for data (not speed) than webhosts come into play?

Here in Australia I can get a free webhost with 1GB of bandwidth for nothing yet for me to have that same data on my phone it would cost $15
That is still a transmission infrastructure problem. It is dirt-cheap to push data through a fiber, once it is installed. It is more expensive to push data through the air over a long distance. Data hot-spots are only pushing the data a short distance through the air, which is cheap. While your phones are pushing the data a distance to the nearest tower.

cleverwise
Name: Jeremy

Post by cleverwise »

I agree that running fiber is easier in major areas. Datacenters get huge pipes because they are usually in areas where lots of teleco fiber already exists or can afford to run huge pipes like Amazon and Facebook do. So your hosting provider as little to no issue getting 1 Gbps+ Internet connections.

Fiber is being run more and more to at least the upstream box as in the case of AT&T Uverse. Copper technology can easily now run 100MB+ for 12,000+ feet. Obviously the best would be fiber to the premasis like Verizon's FIOS. This is getting cheaper and cheaper and I have no doubt that day will come when you just get a fiber line to the side of your home no matter who you use.

As for 100GB to the home that is easy to blow through with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, watching etc. For standard web surfing sure 100GB is pretty huge. However an hour of Netflix HD video chews up around 1-2GB an hour. On my phone I have chewed through nearly 5GBs of data in a few hours of Netflix watching. So if you think about it around 2 hours of HD watching a day will burn that 100GB.

It has been stated that Netflix accounts for between 30 and 50% of all Internet in the USA depending on who's data is used. I mean think about that even if it is 30%. One company and its 22 million plus accounts (not people as most families have one account) are sucking up 30%+ of all USA bandwidth.

100GB is pretty tiny when considering Internet streaming plus all their other operations. However the growing gaming market is adding some load with multiple player HD graphics. That isn't light on bandwidth either.

0_Cypher

Post by 0_Cypher »

One wireless.
One wireless.
3786706800.png (31.03 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
On wired laptop.
On wired laptop.
3786718566.png (30.37 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
When doing nothing with the network my desktop is usually able to achieve a speeds of around 90Mbps download & upload.

I am really glad they have fiber where I live.
Thinking about switching to another provider to get the 500Mbps package.

Lumpy Burgertushie

I am confused. are you saying that when you are hard wired to your wireless router that you get the high speed and when accessing your wireless router wirelessly you are getting the slow speeds?

If so, then you have a problem with your router. you should never get slower internet speed when going wireless to the router than you do when hard wired.

the wirelesss connection only affects the traffic between the wireless device ( your laptop ) and the router.

also, what speeds you can transfer files across /around your local network have nothing to do with your internet speeds etc.

robert

0_Cypher

Post by 0_Cypher »

Of course the internet speed itself, from the modem and router, will not change. The internet speed that arrives at the device that uses the internet connection does change however.

The maximum download I can get from the internet is 100Mbps download and upload through fiber.
My wireless network is not yet optimized to get the full 100Mbps connection where the cable on the other hand is optimized for 1Gbps connections(local network) if the connected device has a gigabit port.
That is the reason my desktop is able to almost reach the 100Mbps.

Before I get an internet subscription for 500Mbps I would first need to do some upgrades in my home network, otherwise I do not expect to have much use for the 500Mbps.
Speedtest from some time ago, was still in MBps and not Mbps, showing a download of 94,72 Mbps
Speedtest from some time ago, was still in MBps and not Mbps, showing a download of 94,72 Mbps
1194950084.png (30.39 KiB) Viewed 10812 times

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: If so, then you have a problem with your router. you should never get slower internet speed when going wireless to the router than you do when hard wired.

the wirelesss connection only affects the traffic between the wireless device ( your laptop ) and the router.
Ofcourse, but the lowest pipeline you have, is the limit of the total connection. So if your WIFI supports up to 54mbit, you won't download anything faster as 54mbit when connected to wifi, even if you have faster internet.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Lumpy Burgertushie

like I said, something wrong with the router. ;)
I was not considering that he would be using a older slower router.

also, I have never personally seen speeds even high enough to out run a 54Mbps router much less the 300N routers that I use.

thanks,
robert

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 »

:)
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

Return to “General Discussion”