Cool or not, go to other boards and

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Big-Jim

Re: Cool or not, go to other boards and

Post by Big-Jim » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:03 am

How you can say that passing out business cards is the same as going to another person’s forum and trying to get free advertising is beyond me. If you want an analogy like that, then it would be like if I owned a lawnmower repair business and I went to other lawnmower repair shops and left my business cards there for their customers to take.

Look, if you want to go to other forums and advertise your forum, you are free to do so. As for myself, I will not do that.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:45 am

I did not know we were discussing specifically advertising your board. I thought we were generally talking about advertising your business, whatever that may be.
However, if it happens to be a bulletin board I would feel the same way.
as long as you are adding relevant content and as long as you have the board owner's permission, what is the problem with doing that. How do you think most of us found phpbb.com?

I would be willing to bet most of us here saw the advertising for phpbb.com in the footer of someone elses board and that is why we wound up here. I know that is how I found this place all those years ago.

anyway, I am not trying to say that you are wrong in your opinion, only that I am not wrong in mine any more than you are wrong in yours etc.

luck,
robert

garden of green
Name: Tony

Post by garden of green » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 am

DDay wrote:Is it considered wrong to go onto other boards of similar content and advertise your new board? Is it considered stealing others users?

Thanks,
DDay
As you can see from the replies,different admins have different views on this.

I have no restrictions on links in posts or signatures,I wanted our forum to be free and open for all,we only have 2 rules (Rule 1 No agro,if you disagree with a member,prove them wrong with facts,not abuse.Rule 2 See Rule 1)

So members are allowed to link to similar sites,but i know we are one of few who allow it,some of the other forums similar to us,are very strict about links

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Lumpy, you have been here for a long time and I am a relatively new member here. I am sure you have a lot of knowledge about this stuff, you certainly have a lot of posts under your belt, and you no doubt have many followers here. I, on the other hand, would be considered a "new kid" on the block. But in any case, I don’t want to get into a big argument about this. All I know is, the opening poster had a question as follows:

Is it considered wrong to go onto other boards of similar content and advertise your new board? Is it considered stealing others users?

So we are talking about going to other forums of similar content and putting links to our own forum. My opinion is that even if the admin of the other site allows it, I would not do it because I don’t view it as being an ethical thing to do. I consider it to be nothing more than a cheap attempt to steal members from other sites and to my mind doing it is just plain wrong.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Big-Jim wrote:Lumpy, you have been here for a long time and I am a relatively new member here. I am sure you have a lot of knowledge about this stuff, you certainly have a lot of posts under your belt, and you no doubt have many followers here. I, on the other hand, would be considered a "new kid" on the block. But in any case, I don’t want to get into a big argument about this. All I know is, the opening poster had a question as follows:

Is it considered wrong to go onto other boards of similar content and advertise your new board? Is it considered stealing others users?

So we are talking about going to other forums of similar content and putting links to our own forum. My opinion is that even if the admin of the other site allows it, I would not do it because I don’t view it as being an ethical thing to do. I consider it to be nothing more than a cheap attempt to steal members from other sites and to my mind doing it is just plain wrong.
Jim, I stand corrected. I got lost in the issue and forgot what the OP said. You are correct, the discussion was about advertising your board on someone else's board. I went off in a more general direction about using sig files to advertise your business. Sorry for the confusion.

We can simply agree to disagree about this issue, no problem. For me, that includes what I have been talking about as well as what the OP asked about. I simply do not see it the same way you do.

luck,
robert

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:11 pm

No problem Lumpy, I sometimes get off topic as well, I imagine we all do it from time to time. I also realize we have different opinions about a lot of things, but I think at heart we both have the best of intentions when trying to help others. In the final analysis, that's really what counts the most. Additionally, as you suggested, we can just agree to disagree about things where we don't view things from the same perspective.

jsebean
Name: Jonah

Post by jsebean » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:59 am

DDay wrote:Is it considered wrong to go onto other boards of similar content and advertise your new board? Is it considered stealing others users?

Thanks,
DDay

Last I checked "users" are not property and cannot be stolen. :lol: That said, if they let you advertise, do it. If not, don't. Simple as that :)

Return to “General Discussion”