Do you run a server(s) on your LAN?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
cleverwise
Name: Jeremy

Do you run a server(s) on your LAN?

Post by cleverwise »

Do you run your own in house server(s)? If so what OS are you using and for what functions?

Ex: Windows, CentOS, Arch for Media Serving

Perhaps you use one of those cloud "server" hard drive boxes from companies like Western Digital, Seagate, etc.

============
Personally I am using a single Sun Microsystems server running Solaris SPARC that runs an in house web server (Apache) with PHP (of course ;-), database (Percona - MySQL replacement), file server, and Openfire Jabber chat server. It is on my list to switch to FreeBSD plus add a media server like Plex.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Do you run a server(s) on your LAN?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I run windows 7 on my NAS.
I have this old radio case with no chassis:
1927 Metrodyne Super7

I put a mini-itx motherboard in it with a small power supply and a harddrive cage with three drives in it.
One small drive for the OS and two 1TB drives for movies and network backups etc.

I also have a hard drive dock that I use for external backups. I put the dock inside this radio case:
1949 Philco portable. worked on ac/dc/batteries. was my father's radio.
When I want to backup the server drives, I just plug it in and let it run.

I am in the process of duplicating this radio for my main computer:
1937 Sparton Sled
I love this one. That is actually a blue glass mirror.

the media center in the living room is a computer inside of the faux fireplace mantle that I built specifically to hold/hide it in. The tv sits on top of the mantle.

just my little hobby.

robert

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

:shock: Wow, that is very cool Robert :!: :!:

An interesting idea to turn old objects into computers.

Are you running Windows Media Center for your movies?

Lumpy Burgertushie

cleverwise wrote::shock: Wow, that is very cool Robert :!: :!:

An interesting idea to turn old objects into computers.

Are you running Windows Media Center for your movies?
I was running xbmc on the main media center but I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled windows and have not setup xbmc yet. I don't currently have a remote for the media center and using xbmc with a mouse is a pain. WMC works well but it has several little quirks that irritate me so I prefer some other media center software like xbmc.

On my computer I usually just use VLC to play them so I don't have to clutter up my system with xbmc etc.

I need to move the tv card from my computer to the server/NAS so that it can record tv shows etc. without involving my main system. that way I can turn my system off when I want to and not worry about the recording.

I don't do much recording anyway but with my card I can't record one station and watch a different one at the same time.

robert

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

I see.

I agree with not recording much as I am the same the way. I have TV service with a DVR but it is rarely used as I personally stream almost all content via Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. In fact I finally convinced my family to give up the reliance on TV service so we can disconnect it. So after the contract is up bye bye traditional TV service (well digital TV service).

So soon my family will join a growing number of households that don't have "traditional" TV service. We will be Internet only for video. I can't wait! :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

ah yes, cutting the cable. did that years ago. only OTA tv for a long time. don't really miss the cable much.

actually, the only recording I have done is one of the new shows this season. I record it for my MOM to watch because she goes to church on wednesday when it is on.

Whenever I don't feel like going to the main tv room, I do watch live tv with my computer using the tv card and windows media center.
My internet service is too slow to watch any of the streaming tv shows/videos etc. I am lucky if I can watch a 5 minute youtube video without 5 minutes of buffering.

sometimes it gets below dialup speeds and phpbb won't even load very fast.

It is the best choice I have out here in the boonies.

the frustrating part is that from my front porch I can see the housed down the street that have cable internet available but it does not come this far.

oh well, like jerry jeff walker says, "gettin by on gettin by is my stock and trade".

robert

Rick Strife

Post by Rick Strife »

Hi :)

Interesting stuff you guys do, diversity is awesome!

Myself, I have very basic setup here in my home/office for LAN/WAN. I run a Windows XP server for my personal website and recently a forum (I missed phpBB) and it acts as a music server for the office. I was using the latest version of xampp a few days ago and then switched to xampp 1.7.7, since I felt nostalgic for phpBB2 (I wanted to try the ADR RPG MOD again) and wanted to be ready for phpBB 3.1 at the same time. I'm behind a router and using a software firewall. I really like to have the control over every aspect of the server, I enjoy configuring stuff, enable or disable features, and lots of testing.

My domain name is pointing to my home server. I created sub-domains for my Website and blog (Wordpress), forums (phpBB3 and phpBB2), etc., and I try to keep them organized using Apache virtual hosts, running them separately in different directories.

I'm kind of obsessed with internet software, specially open source ones. I love to install mods, test compatibility between them, lots of experimenting. The cool part is that I make all my edits directly and I don't have to upload anything.

Since I'm a musician I've been experimenting with radio and video streaming applications as well, such as SHOUTcast and IceCast, serving some music for a few listeners, not always live since my connection isn't great (756 max upstream). All of this under Windows XP... but, it performs great serving music for all the rest of computers in he office. Different playlists with many genres of music, all day (multiple Winamp versions running at the same time). Of course, all the music is located in a separate HDD.

The hardware isn't that great either (HP Compaq dx400 Microtower = Pentium Dual Core E5300 @2.60 GHz, 3.24 GB RAM) but it's OK for now since I'm not famous xD = not many visitors :lol:

5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

Rick Strife wrote:my home/office for LAN/WAN.
Only problem I have with peoples own LAN setups is that they can be very slow.
If this is the site you're talking about.
lan.png
lan.png (63.8 KiB) Viewed 16320 times

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

cleverwise wrote:Do you run your own in house server(s)? If so what OS are you using and for what functions?
I do, but it's a development server that is only used for testing code before being put on the production server (in Texas). Both servers run CentOS 6.5.

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

@Rick Strife: I still have some Windows XP rigs mixed with Windows 7 rigs. That box would make a good Linux machine, learning/testing rig, if you ever decide to re-provision it. I hear you on testing software which is fun, educational, and entertaining. I agree with you that it is interesting to see what others are running and doing on their LAN which is why I created this thread. :)

@5hocK: Yeah many people have small upstream pipes for their WAN.

@kmtruscott: Good deal. I am running CentOS for several projects myself. :) Oh yeah and happy developing.

Rick Strife

Post by Rick Strife »

@cleverwise Hey! Yeah, you are right, Linux sounds great for a all the tasks it's running, I've always felt tempted to do it, though I need to study all the possibilties since the machine also acts like the printer server xD (I forgot to tell). Some other features I'm missing are, i.e.some media conversion scripts that are designed to work on linux boxes. I've heard that they are great media servers overall. Thanks for the idea! more experimenting for my restless self :D

@5hocK Yeah, well I live in Venezuela, here 756kbps is the maximum upstream for consumers, which is awful :cry: compared to the donwstream they offer (max 10Mbps.). This is the main reason I can't make my radio station public. Also my front page is packed with images (I really need to re-design that). I hope some day my ISP increases the upstream...

I once had a CentOS 6.5 virtual machine only to test a software called Clipbucket, wich is some sort of a youtube like software for video upload/conversion.

OMG more ideas are coming to my head...
Last edited by Rick Strife on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cleverwise

Post by cleverwise »

Rick Strife wrote:@cleverwise Hey! Yeah, you are right, Linux sounds great for a all the tasks it's running, I've always felt tempted to do it, though I need to study all the possibilties since the machine also acts like the printer server xD (I forgot to tell). Some other features I'm missing are, i.e.some media conversion scripts that are designed to work on linux boxes. I've heard that they are great media servers overall. Thanks for the idea! more experimenting for my restless self
Many Linuxes run very well on old rigs, which is one of the reasons you still see single core and old dual core systems humming along on some *nix flavor. I am wanting to dump my current router (Asus which I love) but I think pfsense is the better way to go. Pfsense is bsd based but offers all the features of high Cisco routers/firewalls and even has commercial support if desired. It blows past all these little light duty routers and if you have an old single core rig that is more than enough power.

You do have a lot of choices in flavors when it comes to Linux. I have several older rigs where I test various Linuxes although if you have a more powerful box using something like Vagrant is easier. That way one can easily spin up and down distros with ease on the same machine.

While many open source server projects run on Windows the vast majority are designed with *nix in mind so if you have the knowledge or the time and desire it is worth learning. Well at least basic Linux/Unix. I know right now for desktops Mint is gaining a lot of attention. I have that on an old rig myself and am going to start re-provisioning old XP desktops to Mint as I maintain guest computers for those times people stay over and don't bring their own laptops/tablets.

PMVanDomelen
Name: Patrick VanDomelen

Post by PMVanDomelen »

I can't quite call it a "home" server, but I do run a phpBB server on my work LAN (or intranet). But my setup is a little unique, I run it on a Raspberry Pi 2: Model B+.

Technical Specifications:
  • Broadcom BCM2836 Arm7 Quad Core Processor running at 900MHz
  • 1GB RAM
  • 40pin extended GPIO
  • 4 x USB 2 ports
  • Stereo output and Composite video port
  • Full size HDMI
  • CSI camera port
  • DSI display port for connecting touch screen displays
  • Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data (I run a 32gb Micro SD)
  • Micro USB power source (I plug it into a cell phone charger)
Since It's just the 50 or so if us here in the plant using it, resources aren't an issue. Maybe some day I will upgrade to a full grown server..... but then that means I will have to let IT in on the secret, so I'm going to let this ride last as long as I can.

The entire thing fits in the palm of your hand and costs a whopping $35.
Attachments
RPi 2.png
RPi 2.png (74.14 KiB) Viewed 7425 times

Lumpy Burgertushie

I love the PIs. I haven't gotten around to buying one yet but it is coming soon. I just had to finish upgrading other computers on the network.

I am thinking about using a pi for the NAS since it uses almost no electricity and will run 24/7

that reminds me, I think I will go order one right now.

:o
robert

Return to “General Discussion”