Heard about Bitcoin ?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
gwave

Re: Heard about Bitcoin ?

Post by gwave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Brf wrote:So you bought "Various web products" and "hosting" of some sort.
That is not very descriptive.
Well... to be specific those are domain name and web hosting only. Interestingly a lot of web hosting companies are lately accepting Bitcoin.

By the way, may I update the whitepaper and movie links in the OP now ?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 pm

No. Not unless you actually turn your OP into a discussion. Just linking to another site like that, turns it into spam. You should be starting with an explanation of your topic and how it has changed your own life, like you did in your two later posts. You notice how I left your link in the one.

gwave

Post by gwave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Brf wrote:No. Not unless you actually turn your OP into a discussion. Just linking to another site like that, turns it into spam. You should be starting with an explanation of your topic and how it has changed your own life, like you did in your two later posts. You notice how I left your link in the one.
Ok... I have added a short explanation of the topic in OP. Please check at your end and feel free to edit if u think it does not fit well. Thanks...

/a3

Post by /a3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 pm

I currently use Bitcoin to pay for my Virtual Private Servers and I've used it for making (legal) donations before as well. I think that it's great that people can post a bitcoin address on the internet to receive payment so easily.

Sure, people use bitcoin (with Tor) for illegal purposes, but it's the same with cash as well. Unless you want to ban all forms of currency that can't be tracked by Big Brother law enforcement agencies...

Drestauro

Post by Drestauro » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:54 am

I don't understand the logic that bitcoin is bad because people use it for illegal activities. People use cash for illegal activities as well.No one freaks out about that. I used bitcoin to buy a NAS from Dell. You can buy tons of legitimate goods. The beauty of bitcoin isn't the currency, but the network that allows me to pay anyone anywhere in the world, directly without a credit company or a bank. Once things like apple pay take off and get mainstream adoption crypto-currency will have an easier time at mainstream adoption.

gwave

Post by gwave » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Anyone having doubt about Bitcoin and its future should watch this video where Andreas M. Antonopoulos educates Senate of Canada about Bitcoin. It is the 2 hour of your life wasted today that you'll cherish in future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNGFZDO8mM

VOLKERMORD

Post by VOLKERMORD » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:personally, I would suggest that anything to do with bitcoin would be spam at the very least. I doubt seriously if it will even be around much longer considering the attention it is gettin by law enforcement around the world. It is being used extensively for illegal reasons.

robert
And with dolars or euro you cant used extensively for illegal reasons?

JBlaze
Name: Jason

Post by JBlaze » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:37 am

I don't personally use BitCoin (not yet anyways), but have friends that do. One even has a dedicated room and multiple GPUs running to mine BitCoins. In simple terms, this means that he processes BitCoin blockchains, and receives small percentages of BitCoin in return.

BitCoin has the ability to be something awesome. It's starting to become more widely adopted, and even multiple governments have taken notice of it whether it be for good or bad.

gwave

Post by gwave » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:13 pm

JBlaze wrote:I don't personally use BitCoin (not yet anyways), but have friends that do. One even has a dedicated room and multiple GPUs running to mine BitCoins. In simple terms, this means that he processes BitCoin blockchains, and receives small percentages of BitCoin in return.

BitCoin has the ability to be something awesome. It's starting to become more widely adopted, and even multiple governments have taken notice of it whether it be for good or bad.
Nice to know that you have a miner friend. GPU mining is actually not possible in 2014 anymore. The latest thing in bitcoin world is cloud mining or hosted mining where people buy hash power in dedicated mining data centers. It is like transformation of web hosting industry from web site owners running their own server at home 24x7 to web sites running on dedicated web hosts. This cloud mining is going to be one of the hottest topic of bitcoin in 2015. Anyone having more than 0.01 BTC, which is equivalent to 3.79 USD at current price, may start mining at cloud mining website.

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 pm

Sayin that Bitcoin is being used for drugs etc is not a fair argument. Money is used for bad purposes too.

Many great non-profit organizations accept Bitcoin for donations (including Wikipedia!) and the number of online stores accepting it for payments has been steadily growing. Granted the exchange rate of bitcoin (this is the real-time price) has been somewhat dropping lately, but that's only because of some bad publicity in the news, like some idiot federal agents stealing funds during an investigation etc. Overall it's stable though.

I think digital currencies and cryptocurrencies in general have a great future.

Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:22 am

first i heard about bitcoin
when i was browsing deep web for the 1st time

garden of green
Name: Tony

Post by garden of green » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:12 am

Not a hater of Bitcoin,but its got away to go before i consider it a payment option for my online shop

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 am

Most interesting parts of Bitcoin are the flaws:

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:52 pm

AmigoJack wrote: The whole idea is based on wasting energy: you just compute. It is not based on substance.
Right, and Wall Street is based on substance. Millions of people working in backoffices around the world verifying ACHs, wires, and paper money transfers, getting salaries for basically nothing, creating loads of papework, wasting electricity, making everything more expensive for the whole world.

And my local big bank ATM probably spends more energy while trying to fart one $20 bill out than a cryptocurrency mining station does in a week.

Return to “General Discussion”