Question about google ranking

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
smokerbuilder

Question about google ranking

Post by smokerbuilder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:41 pm

I did a search for the term "Smoker Smokestack" and noticed a competing forum to mine was ranked number 1 in the google search. My question is mainly about the attached screenshot that shows how well indexed the keyword is on the competing website, which I might add is a paid forum not phpBB. I love the phpBB system and do not wish to migrate away from it but would like to do the necessary MOD's if any are available to get my site to index like this. Please help!
Thanks in advance!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
google ranking.JPG
google ranking.JPG (37.43 KiB) Viewed 8289 times

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Question about google ranking

Post by Brf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:45 pm

There is nothing mechanical you can do to your webpage to increase your search-engine rank, or everyone would be doing it.

Page-rank is largely related to the number of high-ranked pages which link to yours. You do not have much control over that.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:02 pm

check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122998#p12963426
forget about any of the "friendly" or human readable urls SEO stuff. that simply doesn't matter to the search engines. if you want to rank better in google, you give google what it wants, relevant content.
you help google by making sure that good keywords are in the places it looks for them. the post linked above tells you have to make that automatic.

now, all you have to do is make sure that your forum/topic titles on your board are using keywords relevant to the discussion and you are good.

robert

smokerbuilder

Post by smokerbuilder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I am also noticing some of the google structured data helper tools. are these relevant to phpBB forums? looks like a TON of work lol.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:23 pm

google structured data helper tools.
what is that?

robert

RaythXC

Post by RaythXC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:43 pm

I've also noticed from experience, that if you provide regular new content to the site, google tends to pick up on it and it can boost your rating.

ja.

Post by ja. » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am

It's also a good idea to create a webmaster tools acctount at google. You can submit your site content to be crawled as well as analyze your site using their tools to see where you can improve.

leahcim

Post by leahcim » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122998#p12963426
forget about any of the "friendly" or human readable urls SEO stuff. that simply doesn't matter to the search engines. if you want to rank better in google, you give google what it wants, relevant content.
you help google by making sure that good keywords are in the places it looks for them. the post linked above tells you have to make that automatic.

now, all you have to do is make sure that your forum/topic titles on your board are using keywords relevant to the discussion and you are good.

robert
Where can I find this for 3.1?

/mike

Return to “General Discussion”