How do you keep your forum active?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Holger

Re: How do you keep your forum active?

Post by Holger »

We are running our forum since 2003 ... still 10K posts every month. Most people do not like FB and Instagram.
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

Did you add some features to your forum to keep it active? Our forum exists from 2005 and most of the members prefer Instagram now or FB groups, they find it more comfortable and fast since most of them are using mobile phones. They even ask me to move our forum there but I find it not a good idea.
Holger

Post by Holger »

FB has a big disadvantage in finding information. FB Groups are not visible in Google Searchresults, so your "forum" on FB will slowly die as nobody finds the information without being a member in the FB group.
This is an absolute no-go for me.
Furthermore, as far as I have seen (I am not on FB myself), the "topics and posts" are not sorted and are very confusing.
It is not possible to have structured discussions.

Yes, we have added a LOT of features to our forums, we have listened to our members needs. Most of the features added are custom programmed.
We have mainly tried to make it easier for everyone to use the forums, created "shortcuts" and made it as easy as possbile to upload photos for example. My community absolutely thrives based on photos.

As of today we have 105K members and 1.2 million posts.
2.1 million page views(?) and 200K unique visitors every month.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

incredibleasia wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Did you add some features to your forum to keep it active? Our forum exists from 2005 and most of the members prefer Instagram now or FB groups, they find it more comfortable and fast since most of them are using mobile phones. They even ask me to move our forum there but I find it not a good idea.
It's probably a sign that those users are not forummers and prefer short (instant) reactions. Not the kind who participate in several lengthy discussions at the same time (or the subject of your board doesn't lend itself to long (and deep?) discussions.
Davey123

Post by Davey123 »

Holger wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:33 pm
We are running our forum since 2003 ... still 10K posts every month. Most people do not like FB and Instagram.
Wow, incredible, well done. What's the URL please?
erelash_mf
Name: ERA

Post by erelash_mf »

Davey123 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am
Holger wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:33 pm
Wow, incredible, well done. What's the URL please?
Woow, URL please?

Return to “General Discussion”