Expelled from school for a week because....

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
TehBooster
Former Team Member

Post by TehBooster »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
calebrw wrote:
CLee wrote:I don't buy the story either. If he did get into the CMOS screen and didn't know how to get out, then why didn't he immediately ask for help? That is what almost every other person would have done. But no, he kept fooling around.
so he's curious, i would do that to, its human nature to explore things...
You do realize that in some cases things like that (probably not this instance) could constitute a felony, don't you? Breaking in to a computer system without authorization can be a felony. Under federal law, an entry in to a computer system can be a felony.

§ 18.2-152.4 - http://www.spamlaws.com/state/va.html

So the "I'm curious to go looking around at an educational institution's computer system" doesn't cut it. ;) Neither does the "accidental push of a button."

Guess I broke quite a few laws while in school then :mrgreen:

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

TehBooster wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
calebrw wrote:
CLee wrote:I don't buy the story either. If he did get into the CMOS screen and didn't know how to get out, then why didn't he immediately ask for help? That is what almost every other person would have done. But no, he kept fooling around.
You do realize that in some cases things like that (probably not this instance) could constitute a felony, don't you? Breaking in to a computer system without authorization can be a felony. Under federal law, an entry in to a computer system can be a felony.

So the "I'm curious to go looking around at an educational institution's computer system" doesn't cut it. ;) Neither does the "accidental push of a button."

lol
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
TehBooster wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
calebrw wrote:

lol

Sounds like the school is being lenient. I'd stick with the suspension.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Considering I was around 8 when I first happened upon a computer BIOS (I believe it was a 486...) and I was able to navigate through it just fine enough to mess stuff up, but get out just fine. Your friend is either a) retarded or b) truly guilty of messing crap up.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Ksilebo wrote: Considering I was around 8 when I first happened upon a computer BIOS (I believe it was a 486...) and I was able to navigate through it just fine enough to mess stuff up, but get out just fine. Your friend is either a) retarded or b) truly guilty of messing crap up.

Retarded A-Level Student... I smell an oxymoron :lol:
J/k, I know what you mean.

Gotta agree with Darth, PASSWORD and EXIT are different. Seems fishy.

Who leans on their keyboard? That's vandalizing school property :P
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

As a note, "A-level" in Britain refers to a specific type of qualification, normally obtained after taking GCSEs at secondary school, but before attending university. In Britain, "A-level student" does not refer to a student who has an A-grade average, or make any such implication.
super fun rainbow colour sig

mannythehamster

Post by mannythehamster »

What was he doing at A-level?

I don't know about most people, but I don't personally go around stabbing random keys on any PCs while they're booting, or at any other time.
Free music gear picture uploads.

schroederman

Post by schroederman »

revsorg wrote: The teacher should thank your friend for helping to identify a hole in the computer security at your school that can now be fixed.

AGREED!!!

adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

schroederman wrote:
revsorg wrote:The teacher should thank your friend for helping to identify a hole in the computer security at your school that can now be fixed.

AGREED!!!

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's thank the bastards who discovered the hole in our airport security.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

adamsmark wrote: Yeah, and while we're at it, let's thank the bastards who discovered the hole in our airport security.

Ouch, good zinger :lol:
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

adamsmark wrote:
prince_of_oreon wrote:Tell Mr. Grade A Student to do the time and enjoy it. No, I have never accidentally leaned on the right keys to get to BIOS.

But, if you put 20 monkies in the room for a million years, they will accidently open and modify the BIOS.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Naturally they would haxor teh intarweb to make monies rather than kill they're only source of entertainment.

Anyways, I don't believe it. It's just dumb. Although my BIOS pops up everytime the computer isnt shut down properly. But how hard is it to use arrows and hit enter on where it says exit?
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!

Erikina

Post by Erikina »

The thing I do not believe is if some kid did accidently get into bios & was totaly dumbstruck don't you think he'd hit the power-button on the computer?
-Eric Springer

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Erikina wrote: The thing I do not believe is if some kid did accidently get into bios & was totaly dumbstruck don't you think he'd hit the power-button on the computer?

Or the reboot button :roll:
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Hawk Of the Roc

Post by Hawk Of the Roc »

I did that at school once :D
Well I wasen't at the computer but some other idiot was :lol: He did something a couldn't log into the network :P
So the idiot (I call him one because he acts like one ;)) restarts the computer and becuase I was mad at him for something he done a while ago, I just let my elbow lean on the lower numpad :lol: So when the cmos came up he was panicing and saying that he killed the computer, he didn't get punished :x

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Hawk Of the Roc wrote: I did that at school once :D
Well I wasen't at the computer but some other idiot was :lol: He did something a couldn't log into the network :P
So the idiot (I call him one because he acts like one ;)) restarts the computer and becuase I was mad at him for something he done a while ago, I just let my elbow lean on the lower numpad :lol: So when the cmos came up he was panicing and saying that he killed the computer, he didn't get punished :x

That was probably the most childish thing I've ever heard. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”