Share Your Earning From Your Forum

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Rhino.Freak

Re: Share Your Earning From Your Forum

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:If your hobby was woodworking, you would probably buy a saw and not go down to the local woodshop and borrow one each time you wanted to cut something.
I find that analogy really wrong. It's totally not anything even remotely comparable.
Free forums have advantage over purchasing domains and such in terms of few things. Like you won't have to deal with files and upload and editing which can be a headache of you are new to this (why paid forum installations are a thing).
But without making it a debate, my point was simply you get to enjoy the forum stuff you always do (maybe in fact in a better way) by only focusing on the things that make it your hobby (administrating, sharing content, creating a community) while avoiding the ugly back stage processes.

Being able to spend money is a totally subjective matter from person to person but the point is free vs paid.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

just because it is a hobby does not mean that it is or has to be free.

it really depends on how serious you take your hobby.

if you have a bulletin board/web site and you are serious about it, then you need serious tools.

if you are using the free forum sites etc. then you are not that serious about your hobby. it is really that simple.

for one thing, if you have several years in your free forumotion board and all of a sudden they go out of business ( like many, many of the free sites have) then all your work is gone, poof.

If you get your own domain name and hosting ( easy at less than $50 USD a year ) and you do occasional backups, you don't lose anything even if the hosting company goes out of business ( very unusual ).

takes a few minutes to learn ftp and your hosting control panel, takes a few minutes to upload and install your own board. takes a few minutes to install styles and or extensions ( things that may not be available to you at your free host ).
there is no on going work you have to do at the backend other than that.

please don't make it sound like more work than it really is.

luck,
robert
Holger

Post by Holger »

With 10,000 posts per month and 300-400 users online at the same time and some mods/exts a freehoster wont be able to provide the service you need.
supanet

Post by supanet »

I've got to agree with Lumpy on this, I started my own forum a few years back with a free forum but soon discovered it lacked the freedom to be creative and have things my way so after a few months got it moved to a paid hosting site joined phpBB and the rest is history. :lol:

But I do admit a free hosting site is the best way to start then if you like it take it to the next level, plus if you say on the free site and your forum grows you may have problems with limited database space. (it's free for a reason ;) )

And just for the record I also make little to no money from my forum but it is a great hobby and an excellent way to meet likeminded people with the same interests. :D
Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:takes a few minutes to learn ftp and your hosting control panel, takes a few minutes to upload and install your own board. takes a few minutes to install styles and or extensions ( things that may not be available to you at your free host ).
there is no on going work you have to do at the backend other than that.
Well while I don't disagree about that, it's not everyone's cup of tea to do it in "few minutes" as you said. It took me a good amount of time to grasp how things are done.

I don't know any other free forum providers other than FM which ever since my watch has been growing steadily so I never had a thought of it someday just going down with all our data gone. But I do admit you have made my vision broader. There's always a chance and the fact that we don't have the right to get the database means we can't preserve anything (one of the prime reasons why we left our FM forum and went with a phpbb one).

Regarding customization and service though I was never dissatisfied with FM. Template editing, great in built features and hundreds of JavaScript tutorials on their forum + forum promotion, free graphic requests, free reviews etc was impressive (kinda sad we don't see it here).
Holger

Post by Holger »

I have been through all kinds of hosting in the past 13 years. Some years we switched hosting two or three times. Of course we started with free hosting.
When you get to a certain point the server-timeouts are getting annoying.

It will be very important that the forum is up and running. Nothing turns off the users more than an unavailable forum. You will lose members rapidly!

That was the point when we introduced ads and switched to professional hosting.

Now we are on redundant own servers for the main forum and another server for a second, "childforum".
enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email »

That makes it a bit hard for me to suggest what you could advertise,our forum is for cannabis growers,so we have arrangements with different seed companies,our members are always buying different strains,they pay no more by using our links(Sometimes pay less) and we get a commission from the sale.
2 months ago we got a check for just under a 700 euro's,normally we average 300-350 euro's a month
And we only have less than 500 members
Do you have an Link? I know some people who buy some Seeds.
Buy and Grow are legal but not the blossoms. :roll:
Things like google ads will usually cover your server costs and maybe give you a little bit extra.
or make people angry because google tracks every sshhtt and or People use Adblocker. :D
but i think its an investing and someday i hope i can earn money from this
Thats why I want to create an "Brand" who covers all domains and allow me to have an separate Business Website.
i[m pablo from argentina , living in Brno
Brno in CZ?!
I have a donations link and so far nothing. :lol:
How do you try to collect?
In my case I will help people and travellers to save cost when the choose the rite tickets and where the tickets are valid and where not. Trust me its rocket since! :lol:
one each time you wanted to cut something.
hmm the People called emo it think?
domain names and hosting are so cheap these days that there is little reason not to take advantage of the benefits of having your own.
Cheap?!
Domain -> ~14€ - 30€/ Year for an .at Domain and Hosting is depent on the Country where the Server is. The Problem is the Law depend where the Physical Server is. I have to pay 55€ each year + 60€ for all my Domains.
So its more then "nothing". So there are additional Cost for licence! I will start wiht Joomla to. OMG you need some additional Add ons like a Backup Application who have Yearly Fees. That can grow and grow and rise the cost up.
Janeblessed

Post by Janeblessed »

I too want to my forum earn me money. Please advise how I can do this.

Thanks

Janeblessed
enter a valid email

Place some Adds? But 90% are blocked by the user... :roll:
Holger

Post by Holger »

So what?
As long as you can show good stats like google analytics 90% of the advertisers will be satisfied.
We are not talking sites like fakebook, twacker or the like!
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

after 2 years i invested some money to my board, i am getting good result for the fisrt time my board profit although not much as i want. hehehe :D
next maybe i will build another board to increase my earning, next target is google adsense, hehe :D
Thanks PHPBB
enter a valid email

next target is google adsense,
You know many people use ad blockers?

And how do you earn Money? With Add Links? Direct Partners?
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

enter a valid email wrote:
next target is google adsense,
You know many people use ad blockers?

And how do you earn Money? With Add Links? Direct Partners?
yeah maybe you right but in my country there are alot of people that earn money from google adsense
enter a valid email

Where are you from?
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

enter a valid email wrote:Where are you from?
I come from Indonesia. How about you???

Return to “General Discussion”