Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Post by KevC »

open-your-eyes wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm I have "powered by phpBB.com" in my footer, so I should receive support. But no, they do not provide it.
We have to draw the line somewhere just like every other company with software they make. Go and ask Adobe if they could help you with Photoshop v1 and you'll get a stony silence or a suggestion to update. The number of support topics for 3.0 slowed to a crawl as everyone was moving to 3.1/3.2 as they are so much better. No more coding for MODs and they are responsive and most hosts are updating their php version so you'll find their servers won't run 3.0 anyway. As a result, we closed support for 3.0. You're perfectly entitled to keep running it yourself but we don't support it any more. It's time to move on.

To do a brand new installation now with 3.0 is bonkers.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

open-your-eyes wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pmI have "powered by phpBB.com" in my footer, so I should receive support. But no, they do not provide it
You aren’t able to get support for 3.0 as explained in the announcement: End of Support for phpBB 3.0.x
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
open-your-eyes

Post by open-your-eyes »

Ranch Dog wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:29 pmDang it, I was the second registered member.
I was the first. :lol:
Last edited by open-your-eyes on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

kinerity wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm Building on the phpBB2 Refugees idea, I went ahead and started phpBB3 Refugees. Obviously the site is unofficial and not affiliated with phpBB Limited in any way. It's also a work in progress, just wanted to get the forums up.
You might consider to make it responsive as the option. ;)

Some rule, first of all that place shouldn't be the place where to blame the Official Site's decision to not support anymore Olympus, I recall the bb2 site felt down on something alike. As well of people blaming Admins and Moderators for this or that etc. A "cry's wall" in some cases.

Good luck.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

I'm working on rules. I will say anybody that decides to start making the refugee board a bashing fest on any member of this community will have warnings/bans handed out like candy. I don't do disrespect on any of the boards I admin.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

open-your-eyes wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pmGod is not sleeping
Which one?
open-your-eyes

Post by open-your-eyes »

I don't know. Actually, I am atheist. :lol:
I just said that for the effect of it.
Ger

Post by Ger »

open-your-eyes wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm I will probably never upgrade to 3.1 or 3.2, I will go directly to 4.0.
Good luck, but don't hold your breath. 3.3 will be here first and currently there aren't really plans for 4.0 AFAIK. Original plans for it have been dropped and they went for smaller incremental updates instead.
I have "powered by phpBB.com" in my footer, so I should receive support. But no, they do not provide it. :cry:
God is not sleeping. He will make justice for me.
Good luck ranting to whichever God you want, but remember: it's been 2,5 years since the end of support was announced, and 1,5 years since support actually ended.

And what if I put "powered by the Vatican" in my footer, do you think that would entitle me to get support from the pope himself?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

He's arguing that for years the staff wanted said footer to even give support in the first place, which is just correct. The flawed projection is that the footer will always give support. Or from another point of view: since his version isn't supported anymore he can also drop the footer.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

KevC wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:36 pm most hosts are updating their php version so you'll find their servers won't run 3.0 anyway.
This ^
Eventually, you’ll have no choice. (In most cases)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Methen

Post by Methen »

Count me in as well Iam sticking with 3.0.1.4, can anyone tell me if anyone has put up a site yet to get any support yet for 3014 and mods?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Methen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 am Count me in as well Iam sticking with 3.0.1.4, can anyone tell me if anyone has put up a site yet to get any support yet for 3014 and mods?
kinerity wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm Building on the phpBB2 Refugees idea, I went ahead and started phpBB3 Refugees. Obviously the site is unofficial and not affiliated with phpBB Limited in any way. It's also a work in progress, just wanted to get the forums up.
Methen

Post by Methen »

kinerity wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am
Methen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 am Count me in as well Iam sticking with 3.0.1.4, can anyone tell me if anyone has put up a site yet to get any support yet for 3014 and mods?
Yea I found your site last night and register if you do not mind a small suggestion you should try and duplicate the lay out they have here on the phpbb 3.0 section like they have here viewforum.php?f=49 it would make people more comfortable cause that is what they are use to...
open-your-eyes

Post by open-your-eyes »

I see no point in upgrading. I got my forums working as I want them.
I got all this MODs:
ACP Group Name Coloured 1.0.0
Activity Stats 1.0.2
Advanced Meta Tags 1.0.0
Auto Backup 1.0.3
Auto Groups 1.0.2
BBcode Buttons and Smilies for Quick Reply 1.1.0
BB Quote Back Link 1.0.3
Board starting date on index 1.1.0
Change user activity post limit 1.0.3
Clickable Post Count Link 1.0.3
Display Quick Reply by default
Increase Forum Rules limit
Instant login redirect
Instant post redirect 1.0.4
Hide Sub-Sub Forums on Index
Latest Topic Title 1.1.6
Login After Register 1.0.0
Manage_bots 5.5
Notify by default
phpbb3 SEO Sitemap 2.0.2
Prime Trash Bin 1.1.10
Private Message Moderation 1.5.4
Posts per day 1.0.0
Show quick reply to guests
Simple Favicon
Site name in e-mai from field 1.0.1
Top Posters on Index 1.0.0.a
Upcoming Birthdays 1.0.3
Username and Q&A in Quick Reply
Visit counter by forum 1.0.0

What has 3.2 to offer that I don't already got?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It's all personal choice. Half of those MODs I would put in my 'not necessary' box. Several are built in to 3.2 or available as extensions meaning no coding, one upload, activate, done.

Your problem will be when your host upgrades php and your site stops working. You will not be able to get round that easily.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “General Discussion”