WMA vs MP3?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mannythehamster

WMA vs MP3?

Post by mannythehamster »

I've been using MP3 for years, copying the tags over manually and ending up with ~5MB files.

I've just been having problems with an album and ended up converting it to WMA...

It's about 1.5MB per song and all the tags are preserved. I'm seriously considering wiping all of my MP3s and starting again (as, of course they're all from the original CDs, no pirating here)

Whaddyall recon? Is there some drawback because the files are smaller (e.g. is the bitrate worse?)
Free music gear picture uploads.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

At 1.5MB compares to a 5MB original, chances are the bitrate's something insanely crap like 64kb/s. My MP3 files are regularly around 10MiB, but i'm a bitrate whore - having everything encoded at 320kb/s.
It's quality versus quantity really. I'd never go to WMA (personally, I don't like OGG either).
mannythehamster

The bitrate doesn't sound that bad. They sound the same as the 5mb MP3s.

That's just a rough estimate anyway, I'll give you better file size comparisons after I've finished Led Zap - IV I'm doing the WMA now, I've already got the MP3.
mannythehamster

Led Zep - IV:

MP3 - 39.0 MB
WMA - 19.7 MB

They are larger than 1.5:5 then but they're still about half the size.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Open both in Winamp and have a look at the Bitrates that are mentioned in the main control window. For the WMA to have the same bitrate as the MP3 would require... something bad to happen.
mannythehamster

Yeah, I just checked it out, WMA has 64kbps, I use MP3 at 128kbps.

Still sounds good though. But I'll probably stick to MP3 after that revelation.

Checking out ogg vorbis though. Might give good results, we'll see.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Eek, how can your ears tolerate 64kb/s? ^_^

OGG's a good format, I just don't particularly like it because of what it loses. I'm also perfectly happy with MP3 and don't see a need to change. ^_^
mannythehamster

Draegonis wrote: Eek, how can your ears tolerate 64kb/s? ^_^

OGG's a good format, I just don't particularly like it because of what it loses. I'm also perfectly happy with MP3 and don't see a need to change. ^_^

:lol: My Ears are knackered because I've been listening to loud music all my life (gigs, being in bands etc) so there probably is a big difference but I don't hear it.

What does ogg loose? I'm presuming it's not the same as MP3 then?
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Heh, I've lost my definition of volume, but not quality. Paypack for living with one's head in a bass cab, eh heh.
As for OGG, a lot of the lower bass (~10Hz I'd guess) is stripped, a range which you feel rather than hear.
mannythehamster

Draegonis wrote: Heh, I've lost my definition of volume, but not quality. Paypack for living with one's head in a bass cab, eh heh.

I'm the same but for some reason I've lost my top end. Makes talking to your mates in the pub pretty tough when you can't define their voices. ah well, shit happens.
As for OGG, a lot of the lower bass (~10Hz I'd guess) is stripped, a range which you feel rather than hear.

Yeah, I can see that being a problem. I think I'll stick to MP3s I think.
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Windows Media Audio.

Doesn't the first word put you off? Coupled with the DRM they implement, I'm staying well, well, away from WMA's.

MP3 @ 192kb/s does fine for me, both when I'm in audiophile & drummer mode :D

DAn
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

WMA can get the hell out of here. I wanted to burn a CD with tracks taken from my other CDs and it would only accept MP3s, and rejected WMAs. :evil:
SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

Pulsar wrote: WMA can get the hell out of here. I wanted to burn a CD with tracks taken from my other CDs and it would only accept MP3s, and rejected WMAs. :evil:

Sounds like a personal problem to me. :lol: Get better software. :wink:
calebrw

Post by calebrw »

Pezzoni wrote: Doesn't the first word put you off? Coupled with the DRM they implement, I'm staying well, well, away from WMA's.
Which wouldn't be a problem is people didn't steal/share/however-you-rationalize-it on the internet...althoug i can't say i've never gotten music off the internet...besides if MSFT released WMP w/o DRM, then the RIAA would be down their throats in an instant.
Caleb Williams
My Photography:
http://blog.calebwilliamsphotography.com
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Pulsar wrote: WMA can get the hell out of here. I wanted to burn a CD with tracks taken from my other CDs and it would only accept MP3s, and rejected WMAs. :evil:

Uhm, you may wish to direct your anger towards the CD burning software that you are using, instead of the format that you're trying to use.
Sure WMA sucks, but the authors of the CD burning software really shouldn't be dictating what formats you can use.
Of course, if you were trying to make an actual audio CD that plays in standard CD players, as opposed to a CD containing just WMA tracks for playing on a computer, that would kinda explain it.

Return to “General Discussion”