WMA vs MP3?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

ZoliveR wrote: MP3 is an universal format and so don't have constraints

Actually, MP3 is patented(AFAIK).

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I thought it was only the Fraunhofer MP3 codec that was patented, not the format itself.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

I prefer MP3 cos it's a more open format in the sense that almost all digital music players / music software support it - in just about any OS you want to use it under.

Of cos, the fact that there is no DRM on it is even better. I usually rip my staff at 192kbps or higher - if I use 320, usually I set it as VBR.

Works fine for me.
8)
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I use LAME with VBR and quality set to max.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

I can tell a difference between MP3s encoded by MusicMatch at 128 and 320, though I've never tried any intermediates. I switched to 320 once I bought a license and could set the encoding higher (and a larger hard drive prompted me a bit as well). Now its more of a, "Gotta have the best" kinda thing, if anything.

Kakulin

Post by Kakulin »

Weird...
I use the free version of musicmatch and it allows me to rip my CDs to 320 kbps

ptlis

Post by ptlis »

mp3 or wma? Go for ogg, my good man. And do yourself a favour (i'm assuming if we're talking about wma you're on a win32 OS) and use CDex, it's not been updated for some time but is still the best win32 encoder around for oog and mp3 (as well as other formats).
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Kakulin wrote: Weird...
I use the free version of musicmatch and it allows me to rip my CDs to 320 kbps

Newer versions allow that... If I remember correctly a couple of versions ago, MP3s could only be at 128kbps using an unlicensced MusicMatch to rip.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I use MP3 mostly. I've also got AAC files that I can't bloody play, and a few .wav files. But I honestly can't hear the diff between .mp3 and .wma files (Mostly attributed to using craptacular $20 speakers @_@), so as long as it plays, I'm happy :)

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

MP3 all the way!

No stupid DRM. :P
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

For the sake of this topic title, I prefer to use WMA, but a good fraction (about one-third) of my music is in MP3.

Overall, I use WAV (yep, ripped straight from the CD unencoded), WMA, FLAC (awesome one, free and open-source), and MP3. I don't have iTunes, so I don't use AAC (AFAIK, iTunes uses AAC, right?).
mp3 or wma? Go for ogg, my good man. And do yourself a favour (i'm assuming if we're talking about wma you're on a win32 OS) and use CDex, it's not been updated for some time but is still the best win32 encoder around for oog and mp3 (as well as other formats).

I don't like OGG, because it's lossy. FLAC and WMA are lossless, so naturally I prefer them.

I've tried CDex and IMHO it's not that great. I use Exact Audio Copy and the built-in ripper with MusicMatch JukeBox 8 to rip music.

I'm also starting to rip some music from some of our records. Good thing our SoundBlaster 24-bit Advanced HD has a line-in port! 8) Good for preserving Eagles music.
Of cos, the fact that there is no DRM on it is even better. I usually rip my staff at 192kbps or higher - if I use 320, usually I set it as VBR.

That's because DRM is for when you download music.

[EDIT] I got an iPod yesterday, so I'm using Apple Lossless.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Return to “General Discussion”