Google Desktop

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Natan

Google Desktop

Post by Natan »

Well, google sure is making strides and offering lots of new goodies. The latest installment brings us Google Desktop, a powerful tool that allows you to search for any text on your computer.

I know the privacy issue re: gmail has been hashed over many times, but does anyone else get an eerie feeling when google is not only used for all your email, but also for the entire contents of your computer?
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Google Desktop Search wrote: # Search email from Outlook 2000+ and Outlook Express 5+
# Search files in TXT, HTML, DOC, XLS, and PPT formats (Office 2000+)
# Search chats from AOL 7+ and AOL Instant Messenger 5+
# Search web pages viewed in Internet Explorer 5+

This kinda screams "useless" to me.
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

The supported application list at the moment is enough to make most of us stab our eyes out with a spork, but I'm fairly confident that this is simply a 'first release' of the beta and that more and more of the apps most of us would prefer will be included in future releases, I believe their FAQs mention both Firefox and other IM clients as having potential for being included in the future. Of course to be of any real interest to me I'll be needing a linux version, and I don't see that happening soon :mrgreen:

Someone on slashdot commented that if you were to release a beta version of an MP3 client that could only play one format, would you release only OGG support first and then add MP3 later? Likely not - you'd start with MP3 and get the user share it enjoys, adding the goodies later.

It is an interesting concept, and has beaten both MS and Apple to actually releasing the end product (MS I believe won't have this in Longhorn now, and Apple will feature something similar in their next release?).
mannythehamster

Post by mannythehamster »

mmmm spork...

I think google are starting to become an internet monopoly in the same way that M$ are an offline (and to some extent an online) monopoly.

If google are offering a browser, their search engine is the "default" search engine (as in people often use google instead of the word search it's that common) then if they offer this they're going to be very popular indeed.

God help us if M$ and Google teamed up.
Free music gear picture uploads.
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

mannythehamster wrote: mmmm spork...

I think google are starting to become an internet monopoly in the same way that M$ are an offline (and to some extent an online) monopoly.

If google are offering a browser, their search engine is the "default" search engine (as in people often use google instead of the word search it's that common) then if they offer this they're going to be very popular indeed.

God help us if M$ and Google teamed up.

How is Google becoming a monopoly? You mean by creating a popular product you have a monopoly?
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Google have revolutionized the way we search for and organize information... Might as well impliment that elsewhere as well; could make our lives a bit easier, anyway... :P
0racle

Post by 0racle »

The difference is, you have a *choice* about your search engine/browser etc :P

It's not google's fault if yahoo can't code a good search algo...

Whereas Windows is not the best product for some things, but many people simply don't have a choice of changing.

I don't mind Google being top dog if they keep innovating...
mannythehamster

adamsmark wrote: How is Google becoming a monopoly? You mean by creating a popular product you have a monopoly?

Maybe monopoly was a bad choice of words.

I just think it's a really bad idea to have one big company while loads of smaller companies compete.
David Robinson

Post by David Robinson »

As long as Google pumps out quality products, I don't think it's a monopoly. They're making computer use better, heaven forbid!

I haven't installed it yet, but I might just to search my AIM logs.
mannythehamster

David Robinson wrote: They're making computer use better, heaven forbid!

Ever wonder what happens when they get to M$'s poplarity (of products, not just the site)?

If they're a good company (every chance they are) then fair enough, they keep pumping out good products.

However, it's perfectly possible they'll take M$'s path and not stay up to date with security issues, start charging, put adsense (or something similar) in everything.

They're a giant corporation afterall, they're there to make money not to serve the public.

Obviously I've got no idea what they do, just pointing out the possibilities.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

I dont mind something like this tool, as long as it does NOT collect/send information or open a backdoor.

Sometimes I personally feel that the big corps or government are trying everything they can to have access to EVERYTHING about everyone.

Walmart is now using ID tags that can be tracked after it leaves the store.
People are now getting chip implants, which means with a little more modification, it can read all your body stats and report your location etc.

Now, they have computers that can read your mind, and that can be controlled by your mind. That is the LAST thing i want.
But I bet is only a matter of time before everyone will have, or be required to have one.

I feel like we are moving into the age of those sick sci-fi movies where the governernment or a corporation has COMPLETE record of what everyone does, and quite possibly, what they are even thinking.

I want my personal life kept personal, our mind is our ONLY true sanctuary, I do NOT want people watching it on their VCRs.

*end of rant*
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
geocator

Post by geocator »

According to the rivacy statement the only thing sent to google is performance data, such as how long it takes to index x number of files, how long the search takes, how much you use it etc.

As to google becoming M$, the thing you have to realize is that they have completley diffrent corporate cultures. Oh and they already put adds in everything they do, thats how they make money.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

What sometimes gets lost in the shuffle is how Microsoft got started. They were the upstart, and IBM was the big monopolistic entity. How things have changed. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

mannythehamster wrote:
adamsmark wrote:How is Google becoming a monopoly? You mean by creating a popular product you have a monopoly?

Maybe monopoly was a bad choice of words.

I just think it's a really bad idea to have one big company while loads of smaller companies compete.

Aren't these good alternatvies?

Yahoo! (I still use them for e-mail, briefcase, maps and movies; no search)
MSN
AltaVista

I'm probably missing a few, but I think the field will be ripe with competition. I expect particularly that Yahoo! will be a fierce competitor. I get 2 gigs with paid service.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

adamsmark wrote: Aren't these good alternatvies?

Yahoo! (I still use them for e-mail, briefcase, maps and movies; no search)
MSN
AltaVista

I thought Yahoo was using google for its search? Or maybe they will soon be using it, or something, meh.

MSN's not bad for search, and should improve more once msnbot is no longre beta. Only thing I dislike about it is that msn and sympatico joined, and now I there's no more sympatico.ca page, juts the msn portal.

Altavista? Sure, its there, but its not like many people use it compared to google, yahoo, or msn.
I'm probably missing a few, but I think the field will be ripe with competition. I expect particularly that Yahoo! will be a fierce competitor. I get 2 gigs with paid service.

This doesn't really have much to do with email and googl's gmail, its about google's desktop search. I don't see how Yahoo's email accounts will or should compete with an search application.

Return to “General Discussion”