Google Desktop

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

Magnotta wrote:
adamsmark wrote: Aren't these good alternatvies?

Yahoo! (I still use them for e-mail, briefcase, maps and movies; no search)
MSN
AltaVista

I thought Yahoo was using google for its search? Or maybe they will soon be using it, or something, meh.

MSN's not bad for search, and should improve more once msnbot is no longre beta. Only thing I dislike about it is that msn and sympatico joined, and now I there's no more sympatico.ca page, juts the msn portal.

Altavista? Sure, its there, but its not like many people use it compared to google, yahoo, or msn.
I'm probably missing a few, but I think the field will be ripe with competition. I expect particularly that Yahoo! will be a fierce competitor. I get 2 gigs with paid service.

This doesn't really have much to do with email and googl's gmail, its about google's desktop search. I don't see how Yahoo's email accounts will or should compete with an search application.

As regards Google becoming too big, we're talking about the entire package of services. Google will continue to grow and perhaps dominate, but there remains competition.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

They're a publically owned company now, they can't rely on advertising revenue for ever and they have to keep the products fresh... expect to see google charging users for things soon.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

It's a useless function to me. I use agent ransack for my searching. it searches through every file, but has options to search only certain folders ect. It's much more powerful.

www.agentransack.com
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

Jon Reid wrote: They're a publically owned company now, they can't rely on advertising revenue for ever and they have to keep the products fresh... expect to see google charging users for things soon.

And the problem is...?

I use Yahoo!, pay for extra storage and love what I get. I can sync to my Palm, store tons of e-mail, and use a personalized domain. Free is good, but you get what you pay for.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

Hey, slow down. I never said there was a problem, I pay for internet services too. I was referring to their increased development of new software and such... it's not all going to be free, forever is all I am pointing out.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
mannythehamster

Post by mannythehamster »

adamsmark wrote: Aren't these good alternatvies?

Yahoo! (I still use them for e-mail, briefcase, maps and movies; no search)
MSN
AltaVista

How often have you heard (read) any of the following?

"Yahoo! is your friend"
"MSN for it"
"Do an AltaVista"

I've never heard any of those but I hear (read) them with Google almost every day.

I used to use Altavista as my main search engine with MSN if I couldn't find anything for ages. They just don't have as many sites anymore though. I held out from Google as long as poss but even I use it now.
Free music gear picture uploads.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

"Search Image is your friend"
"Search Image for it"
"Do a Search Image"

phpBB should consider making a search engine :P
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
Erikina

Post by Erikina »

mannythehamster, I can't see what good ol' google has done wrong? Are you worried the owners are too sucessful?
-Eric Springer
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

have you read the privacy statement for GMail?
Systems Engineering
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

I scanned through it.

What points did you have in mind?
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
mannythehamster

Post by mannythehamster »

Erikina wrote: mannythehamster, I can't see what good ol' google has done wrong? Are you worried the owners are too sucessful?

I'm worried they'll take over the world. They seem to completely obliterate competition in one area then move onto another.

Fair enough, there's reasons for their success, but what happnes when more and more companies think "screw this, I'm not taking on Google".
Free music gear picture uploads.
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Then they can apply their skills in other areas, adapting and such.

However, if that gets to be the case, Google might be looked on more and more as a monopoly.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

they seem to have changed it quite a bit,
Systems Engineering
Natan

Post by Natan »

I'm wondering what people think of this article:
Experts Have A Warning About New Google Search Tool

Googles new desktop search tool ferrets out files on hard drives much as the traditional Google search engine chases down pages in cyberspace.

But experts warn that users who share their computers may be putting personal information at risk by installing the new desktop search engine.

For example, if the index searcher is installed on computers at libraries or Internet cafes, users could find sensitive information, which could be teased out of e-mails that are sent or received on a shared computer, as well as Web sites, other documents that might contain passwords, conversations with doctors or pages that detail online purchases.

The Google Desktop Search was released last week as a "beta" test phase.

It automatically records e-mail read through Outlook products or Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser.

It can also track down Word, Excel and PowerPoint files stored on the computer.

A Google official says managers of shared computers should think twice about installing the software until Google is able to come up with advanced features like password protection and multi-user support.

Meantime, users of shared computers should look for a
multicolored swirl in the system tray at the lower right corner of
the computer desktop, which indicates the software is running.

You should disable it if you don't want your movements tracked.

I guess its only a problem with shared computers?
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."
Natan

Post by Natan »

I just thought I'd bring this topic up again because I just came across another program that does what Google Desktop does, but is a LOT more powerful:

X1 - "Breaking the Found Barrier"

Edit: Their website seems to be down now. Try doing a google search on x1 and looking at their cached page.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Return to “General Discussion”