Getting people to join

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
Rhino.Freak
Registered User
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Rhino.Freak »

AmigoJack wrote:
Rhino.Freak wrote:css3
Well, yes: if you mean CSS3 then name it. Otherwise I refer to what I encounter most times, of course.
Rhino.Freak wrote:Just hover over the forum in category list
There's no such thing. If you mean viewforum (the index is the same) then no: can't see a hovering yellow color when pointing to a couple of forums/topics using two different internet browsers. Do you want me to take a video?
Rhino.Freak wrote:There are way more cleaner and simpler looking designs of forums than pro silver and they don't look "basic".
Yet not even one example. Again.
Rhino.Freak wrote:Are you up for the challenge?
There's nothing to challenge - go make your poll and we'll see from those who voted the majority's taste. And still have to discuss if they understood the poll's intent or if they used a criteria unknown to us and voted based on that. And it won't answer the "getting people to join" issue at all anyway.
1. It's 2016 bro, css3 is norm. But I can understand the confusion from your end.
2. I'll make a screenshot and show you when I get on my pc.
3. Okay, since you want links, here are a few I managed to get from simple Google search. They are simple and yet better looking than prosilver (subjective but mass opinion
- http://gramziu.pl/phpBB/?style=10
- http://www.gophpbb.com/eles/
- https://www.artodia.com/demo.php?demo=phpbb31&id=18
4. What is the intent of poll? This discussion of ours started from the statement that prosilver is pretty or not and we exchanged some arguments back and forth.
Whether it is a deciding factor to join a community or not is not what we are currently discussing.
All I can see is you do realize what I'm saying but you are reluctant on accepting it :P
Or you can accept the challenge and we can hold a poll. XD
User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 70280
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by KevC »

AmigoJack wrote:There's no such thing. If you mean viewforum (the index is the same) then no: can't see a hovering yellow color when pointing to a couple of forums/topics using two different internet browsers. Do you want me to take a video?
He means on default prosilver on the forum index or forum list, when you mouse over one of them it goes yellow-ish.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for joining a forum though! :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 19.17.41.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 19.17.41.png (45.76 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
User avatar
Rhino.Freak
Registered User
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Rhino.Freak »

KevC wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:There's no such thing. If you mean viewforum (the index is the same) then no: can't see a hovering yellow color when pointing to a couple of forums/topics using two different internet browsers. Do you want me to take a video?
He means on default prosilver on the forum index or forum list, when you mouse over one of them it goes yellow-ish.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for joining a forum though! :)
Exactly! And no way it's a deal breaker lol, I (or I doubt someone else) is not that picky lol. My points are:
1. A forum that is using default prosilver doesn't really give a good impression. It is one of the many factors everyone considers when joining some discussion board whether consciously or unconsciously.
2. Prosilver theme isn't a very pretty theme. It's just okay.
Pond Life
Registered User
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:55 am

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Pond Life »

Rhino.Freak wrote:2. Prosilver theme isn't a very pretty theme. It's just okay.
I agree, which is why I created a unique child theme (based on Prosilver) for my site. The three examples you linked to in your previous post are not 'pretty' to my eye either, I find them very bland. There's no single theme that would be acceptable to everyone's personal taste, that's why people make alternative themes.
User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5799
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by AmigoJack »

Rhino.Freak wrote:1. It's 2016 bro
Yes, so why not using formattings (i.e. list BBCode) or use the internet and supporting its most essential feature: links, and still not distinguishing topics from threads? CSS3 "is norm" for you and the websites you use. Until you start using websites you have to use, but don't want to use.
Rhino.Freak wrote:from simple Google search
As if I knew which search request I should make to see those examples you're refering to. The examples themselves are interesting - downsides of those are low contrast and too few colors.
Rhino.Freak wrote:you do realize what I'm saying but you are reluctant on accepting it
The voters need to understand the poll.
Rhino.Freak wrote:you can accept the challenge
There's no challenge:
  • if proSilver gets most votes it could mean most voters recognized it easily instead of thinking it's pretty;
  • if Simplicty gets most votes it could mean most voters find it more clean and refreshing, not essentially pretty.
User avatar
Rhino.Freak
Registered User
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Rhino.Freak »

AmigoJack wrote:
Rhino.Freak wrote:1. It's 2016 bro
Yes, so why not using formattings (i.e. list BBCode) or use the internet and supporting its most essential feature: links, and still not distinguishing topics from threads? CSS3 "is norm" for you and the websites you use. Until you start using websites you have to use, but don't want to use.
Rhino.Freak wrote:from simple Google search
As if I knew which search request I should make to see those examples you're refering to. The examples themselves are interesting - downsides of those are low contrast and too few colors.
Rhino.Freak wrote:you do realize what I'm saying but you are reluctant on accepting it
The voters need to understand the poll.
Rhino.Freak wrote:you can accept the challenge
There's no challenge:
  • if proSilver gets most votes it could mean most voters recognized it easily instead of thinking it's pretty;
  • if Simplicty gets most votes it could mean most voters find it more clean and refreshing, not essentially pretty.
1. I find the effort to type numbers myself lesser than typing the list bbcode. Crazy right?
Edit: whoa nice research you did there! Almost missed it because it felt so irrelevant for me to click on them lol, you might get that a lot though. What can I say, I believe in conveying the message. Then again if you could search that well I guess you should look up some slick themes yo!
2. You could search "pretty phpbb themes", what you find there :) (oh I didn't search it yet but i doubt there will be prosilver there). And those I specifically chose on the context of "basic" and "simple" and "clean". Look a few posts back :)
3. Uh wouldn't it be mentioned in the poll question?
Poll - Which of the following themes look prettier in your opinion?
That sounds enough for an average person to choose a better looking one in his honest opinion.

@"Pond life" yes I agree. Though like i mentioned those were to show basic looking themes.
Perhaps for something more fancy and good looking, you can try looking at these:
- http://www.dankgamers.com
- http://www.sitesplat.com
enter a valid email
Registered User
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 pm
Location: VIE
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by enter a valid email »

How to edit the Default Template?
User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 68307
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the best way is to create your own style.

basically copy prosilver and rename the folder and edit the style.cfg file to rename it in that file.

then make your changes to the templates and the css as you wish.

upload and install that style and use it on your board instead of prosilver.

done.


robert
User avatar
EpicFawker
Registered User
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:13 am

Getting people to join

Post by EpicFawker »

You could try a service like https://sumome.com ?
Holger
Registered User
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:54 pm
Location: Hannover

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Holger »

Ummm, discussing prettiness and subjective things like a sites design is rather pointless.

I did a large break in site design when going from phpBB1 to phpBB2. Since then I try to remain the same and not change anything or as little as possible, designwise.
My users CRY OUT in pain if the design is changed and they have to look for anything. ;)
My site definitely isnt pretty (I think), but everyone is used to it and keeping it the same way has made it possible for me to create a kind of brand too.
User avatar
Rhino.Freak
Registered User
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Holger wrote:Ummm, discussing prettiness and subjective things like a sites design is rather pointless
I did say so here :roll:
...Since there will never be a "definition" of pretty because as you said it is subjective, it's actually pointless to explain it to you but I'll try...
I agree with you fully :)
User avatar
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Swearing at the PC, UK
Name: James
Contact:

Re: Getting people to join

Post by HiFiKabin »

Holger wrote:<snip>
My users CRY OUT in pain if the design is changed and they have to look for anything. ;) <snip>
Same here. You should have heard the "I'll never darken your door again" messages I got when I moved from 3.0.x to 3.1.x

.. and that was just the prosilver changes :roll: Roll on 3.2.x :lol:
Holger
Registered User
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:54 pm
Location: Hannover

Re: Getting people to join

Post by Holger »

THAT, and not missing Exts or Mods, is keeping me from upgrading.
User avatar
2600
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 2567
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: Area-51

Re: Getting people to join

Post by 2600 »

Facebook and Twitter ADs may work. Also, this is what's needed to help. viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2376116
aleksandrrazor
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 am
Name: Alex Bezborodov

Re: Getting people to join

Post by aleksandrrazor »

Try to attract the authors who will regularly create lead threads on the forum.
Invite people from Reddit, FB, twitter to comment those topics, don't forget to ask them, what they think about it?
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”